Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 01:04 AM   #46
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Also, @GeoffR, I've finished making the tool you requested (it took me ~10 minutes), and released it in kobopatch v0.9.2. It's called kobopatch-apply, and has the same syntax you requested. If you need anymore tools, I'd be happy to help.
Thanks, that will help a lot. The rest of it is just getting my eyes used to reading the yaml format I think.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Thanks, that will help a lot. The rest of it is just getting my eyes used to reading the yaml format I think.
Does your text editor have a colour styler feature for different filetypes?

.yaml files in my Windows/Notepad++ setup look like the attached screenshot.

I think the colours plus the ability to collapse/uncollapse each patch have been one of yaml's main selling points for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yaml.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	165859  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2018, 04:36 AM   #48
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
What is more complex about kobopatch? Most people have said it's simpler due to the combined instructions (like FindReplaceString), zlib support, and the overrides in kobopatch.yaml.
For me it 'is' (seems) more complex because there is a lot of vocabulary involved of which I have no idea what it means. For instance, FindReplaceString? What? zlib? What? yaml? What? And then you explain what yaml is in the next post:

Quote:
What is YAML?
YAML is a superset of JSON.
...JSON? What?

I probably don't need to know to be able to follow your patching instructions and I'm sure that once I sit down and follow the instructions with the actual package of stuff it'll be fine. It's just that there is a higher resistance because things that are unknown make things sound difficult. Also, if I don't know that I don't need to know, I might not dare try. (And my personal mini issue is, I like knowing everything, I'm annoying like that.)

If I (try to) ignore that part of the transition difficulty, there are a few small confusing things in your (original) instructions that makes for more resistance:

Quote:
Usage:
  1. Download the zip for your firmware version from here.
  2. Download the firmware from here to the src folder. The zip should be called something like kobo-update-1.2.3456.zip.
- Bold: the zip? Of what? What am I doing? (However, you already clarified this in the updated instructions for this thread, thank you.)
- Blue: eh? The zip again? Is this the same zip as the red one in step 1? I understand it's probably the firmware zip (I think), but together with the other resistance inducing things I'm now insecure enough to give up (for now).

That's where my initial reluctance came from. Having said that, I must admit that if I ignore all the information in the original thread and just follow instructions from the first post in this thread, I probably wouldn't have any issues with transitioning at all. So maybe it's all scary and difficult because I know too much of what I don't know...

Quote:
I have been making it as easy as possible to switch to the kobopatch, [..]
Yes you definitely have and you've been really patient and helpful with everything and everybody. I'm quite impressed!
Quote:
I tested this for 2 months with over 8 different patch sets. It's been stable for quite a while.
Thank you! Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I like the new method, edit the kobopatch.yaml file by adding overrides for the patches I want for the 4 yaml files in the src folder. I assume I will be able to use the same override lines again for future updates which should make future updates much easier to patch.
This would be the the main reason for me to transition to the new method. And thank you Jimi for making an apt summary of how it works. I even have a text file with similar content to what I think I understand should be in the Kobopatch.yaml in which I tracked which patches I have installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If/when you're ready to move forward let me offer you an open personal invitation to help you create your new set of .yaml patch files. You can do it via PM or in open forum in a new thread, your choice.
That is so kind of you! Lots of karma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
You are very kind!.

I will try to make a summary with my concerns and this perhaps can help to other "reluctants"
Yes please! I'd like to follow Jackie's magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Thank you to geek1011 for the new tool and to Jackie_W and GeoffR.
Yes!!!!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #49
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
If you prefer, you can exclude the files which are not needed by commenting them out (or deleting the whole line) in the patches section, e.g.
Code:
## This section lists the patch files and the corresponding binary in the tgz.
patches:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  #src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0
  src/nickel.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
  #src/libadobe.so.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
Short answer: Don't worry about it
Long answer: I remember going through this as well. There is some discussion about it a couple of weeks (months???) ago, but I can't find it right now. ETA: It was 4 months ago! Post #40 onwards in this old thread
You are the best!

What you mentioned in post #40 of that thread is exactly what was getting me crazy!.

I use winrar and the result of kobopatch program was always a couple of files (nickel, librmsdk.so.1.0.0) inside the koboRoot.tgz, regardless the files I patched. But now, using 7-zip, everything is OK.

Thank you again. Your help is invaluable!.

OK. Now, after some fights with the number of blank spaces in the kobopatch.yaml file (to be honest, it is complicated to remember the number of them needed in each line and very easy to erase or to introduce one by mistake) and with the path to lrelease program in windows (in this specific case, it has to be written in "windows way" (C:\etc ...) not linux way (src/etc...) as in "additional files" section), I think I am ready to use kobopatch .

I am still confused with the "additional" overrides in kobopatch.yaml (up to now I have used the original yes-no toggle in the other .yaml files for my trials), but well, it is only a matter of "taste". I have changed the patches I needed in .yaml files with care, following some examples in the threads and it works! (how a long time lost with the winrar matter )

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 08-26-2018 at 05:20 AM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #50
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes please! I'd like to follow Jackie's magic
After following some vital hints from Jackie_w (), I have found that the possible problems are not so big.

A summary of my experience after spending a lot of hours trying to have it more or less working:
  • Do not think at all about the programming wording . I do not understand it, but at the end, it is not needed. . You only have to modify txt files changing numbers or strings.
  • Changing the patch yaml files is basically the same that with previous patching system. Do it with care, comparing with previous patches to be sure you do not make any mistake.
  • Be careful with the number of blank spaces used each line of kobopatch.yaml (this has been a big source of problems for me, as you do not easily see them).
  • If the use of overriding part in kobopatch.yaml is confusing for you, use the old-style yes-no toggling in each patch (up to you, both ways work).
  • If you use windows and want to introduce a translation of the GUI (e.g. I have corrected several mistakes in the Spanish one), you have to include the lrelease.exe program path in windows style, not linux style. For the "additional files" section, it seems that the location of the file is OK if described in linux style.
  • And last, do not use winrar to check the patched files you have created inside the koboroot.tgz file!. Use 7-zip instead.

At the end, If you forget about all programming wording stuff, it is not so difficult . For sure, to feel comfortable, you can try to test the process anytime you need before installing it in the ereader.

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 08-26-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Advert
Old 08-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #51
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

I think the colours plus the ability to collapse/uncollapse each patch have been one of yaml's main selling points for me.
I have a yaml-mode for Emacs that does syntax highlighting, it is fairly basic compared to other modes, but it is all I really need.

It is just a matter of time I think. I have no problem reading the output from objdump now that I have been doing it for years, but it looked like yaml to me when I first saw it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:23 AM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I use winrar and the result of kobopatch program was always a couple of files (nickel, librmsdk.so.1.0.0) inside the koboRoot.tgz, regardless the files I patched. But now, using 7-zip, everything is OK.
Apparently it's a problem with earlier versions of WinRar. If it's any help it's fixed in WinRar v5.5.

Quote:
Thank you again. Your help is invaluable!.
You're welcome and well done! I think you actually did the majority of the work yourself. Not so difficult after all
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #53
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
After following some vital hints from Jackie_w (), I have found that the possible problems are not so big.

A summary of my experience after expending a lot of hours trying to have it more or less working:
  • Do not think at all about the programming wording . I do not understand it, but at the end, it is not needed. . You only have to modify txt files changing numbers or strings.
  • Changing the patch yaml files is basically the same that with previous patching system. Do it with care, comparing with previous patches to be sure you do not make any mistake.
  • Be careful with the number of blank spaces used each line of kobopatch.yaml (this has been a big source of problems for me, as you do not easily see them).
  • If the use of overriding part in kobopatch.yaml is confusing for you, use the old-style yes-no toggling in each patch (up to you, both ways work).
  • If you use windows and want to introduce a translation of the GUI (e.g. I have corrected several mistakes in the Spanish one), you have to include the lrelease.exe program path in windows style, not linux style. For the "additional files" section, it seems that the location of the file is OK if described in linux style.
  • And last, do not use winrar to check the patched files you have created inside the koboroot.tgz file!. Use 7-zip instead.

At the end, If you forget about all programming wording stuff, it is not so difficult . For sure, to feel comfortable, you can try to test the process anytime you need before installing it in the ereader.

Thank you!
As soon as there is a new firmware without Wifi issues I'll jump over to the cool side 💪🏼
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #54
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
@geek1011: I appreciate your work and I am happy there are developers sharing their tools with others. But I do not understand, why you do not comment patches with issues like Rename new home screen footer. I have spent a lot of time to find out which patch is causing the issue with the missing "o" on the keyboard. Ok, now we know, what causes the issue. But you leave others without information about that. In v14 you still have this patch without any comment.
Why don't you just put a comment in the description to warn users about this? This shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by Dirk-71; 08-26-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #55
JIPG-reader
Zealot

Quote:
Apparently it's a problem with earlier versions of WinRar. If it's any help it's fixed in WinRar v5.5.
I have a very old version of winrar (3.2), but this has been a big stone in the path. I was getting crazy. From now on, I will use 7-zip only .
Quote:
You're welcome and well done! I think you actually did the majority of the work yourself. Not so difficult after all
Normally I learn more from the mistakes than from the sucesss , so I prefer not to disturb you too much from the real hard work of doing the patches and try to learn making mistakes .

Anyway, without your hints (and the ones from geek1101), it was impossible.

I agree with Dirk-71 that some effort has to be done in the warnings and help information included in patches for some key points, as this will help people to feel more comfortable. Finding the mistake by the method of trial and error is very tedious and discouraging.

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 08-26-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #56
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Wow. A lot has been said since I went to bed last night. I'll try to answer some of these questions:

- Why is there no comment on the rename new home screen footer patch: I forgot to add it, I'll do it later today
- Effort needs to be done in the warnings: it's the exact same descriptions as the old patches
- Better help needed: It's a bit hard for me to write good documentation, as I am used to all the technical terms. I'd be happy to accept contributions though, and will try to simplify it as much as possible.
- Linux vs windows paths: I may try adding path normalization to make it not matter.
- JIPG-Reader's summary: Thanks for putting it together! Are you fine if I adapt this into better documentation in the README?
- Issues reading YAML: Trust me, it gets way easier to read, as it is more structured. I was really considering a variant of INI, but it was actually less readable. I'll post the notes I made for myself about the different options for patch formats if I can find them.
- Mrs_Often's feedback: Thanks!
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #57
JIPG-reader
Zealot

Quote:

It is much easier to modify yaml files with Notepad++! (visually speaking). I use Notepad2, that has colour styles for many programming file types, but not for yaml, where all the text is plain black

I will give Notepad++ a try for this.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #58
JIPG-reader
Zealot

Quote:
Wow. A lot has been said since I went to bed last night. I'll try to answer some of these questions:

- Why is there no comment on the rename new home screen footer patch: I forgot to add it, I'll do it later today
- Effort needs to be done in the warnings: it's the exact same descriptions as the old patches
- Better help needed: It's a bit hard for me to write good documentation, as I am used to all the technical terms. I'd be happy to accept contributions though, and will try to simplify it as much as possible.
- Linux vs windows paths: I may try adding path normalization to make it not matter.
- JIPG-Reader's summary: Thanks for putting it together! Are you fine if I adapt this into better documentation in the README?
- Issues reading YAML: Trust me, it gets way easier to read, as it is more structured. I was really considering a variant of INI, but it was actually less readable. I'll post the notes I made for myself about the different options for patch formats if I can find them.
- Mrs_Often's feedback: Thanks!
Hello geek1101.

I attach a proposal for some additional help instructions in kobopatch.yaml file.

I know that they clutter even more the file, but can help to people for now to feel more "comfortable" changing to kobopatch.

Please review them, and if you feel they can be of interest for other people, remove/correct as necessary (as well as the English ).

Some of the comments about the indentation with blanks spaces can be wrong (e.g. Each file to be patched (e.g. src/nickel.yaml: should be indented by 2 spaces), so please, delete then if my interpretation is wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: txt kobopatch.yaml.txt (2.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #59
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I recommend using the new patching method in post #1, but here are the instructions for the old method, for us old dogs who find it hard to learn new tricks.

I'm one of the old dogs, lost with the new method. Do you know if I can add the previous patch to remove the footer in your nickel patch?

Spoiler:
patch_name = `New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 4.6.9660 - 4.8.10956+

Thank you.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #60
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I'm one of the old dogs, lost with the new method. Do you know if I can add the previous patch to remove the footer in your nickel patch?

Spoiler:
patch_name = `New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 4.6.9660 - 4.8.10956+

Thank you.

No, simply enable the patch "Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen" in nickel.yaml
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching