Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
How do you stop the *flashing* when turning pages?

I finally installed Calibre and tried reading the quick-start guide.

I can't read the quick-start guide in Calibre's built-in e-book viewer. I have sensory processing issues, and flashing, zooming, etc. are very painful for me. But the built-in e-book viewer has intense flashing for each page turn. I now have a splitting headache.

I looked up "accessibility" in their help page, but couldn't find anything relevant.

How do I either change the e-book viewer to another less painful more accessible one, or change the settings?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post

I can't read the quick-start guide in Calibre's built-in e-book viewer. I have sensory processing issues, and flashing, zooming, etc. are very painful for me. But the built-in e-book viewer has intense flashing for each page turn. I now have a splitting headache.

I looked up "accessibility" in their help page, but couldn't find anything relevant.

How do I either change the e-book viewer to another less painful more accessible one, or change the settings?
Try paged mode (click the scroll icon)

I don't see a flash, but then, folk have called me insensitive
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It still flashes. Also, the heart painimates.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

@MarjaE - if you have another viewer installed on your computer that is is easier for you to use, and it is associated with the EPUB file type, then you can get calibre to use it instead of its built-in reader, viz :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	141592

Just uncheck the EPUB entry.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It still flashes. Also, the heart painimates.
You can remove the Heart

Preferences: Look and Feel: Toolbars (tab): pull down Main Toolbar. move the heart to the Left side.
Repeat for any other toolbar that has a Heart
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

Okay, thanks.

So far I can locate files from within Calibre, but can't yet open them with other epub readers from within Calibre. I can disable the "show cover" painimation, but I can't keep flashing text from appearing as I try to navigate Calibre, and I can't figure out how to get file formats to show in the main library window, etc.

P.S. Quick Start guide crashes my preferred ebook reader. Can figure out how to create and rename libraries, but can't figure out how to move them as I try to find a better way to organize them.

Last edited by MarjaE; 09-01-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

So far I can locate files from within Calibre, but can't yet open them with other epub readers from within Calibre. I can disable the "show cover" painimation, but I can't keep flashing text from appearing as I try to navigate Calibre, and I can't figure out how to get file formats to show in the main library window, etc.

P.S. Quick Start guide crashes my preferred ebook reader. Can figure out how to create and rename libraries, but can't figure out how to move them as I try to find a better way to organize them.
Rename is Move if you supply the full path

Configure Open With ( I use the older: PLUGIN instead of the newer builtin)

Quick start guide is a Brief Guide. Use the Help Button (takes you to the Main site) for the Manual, FAQ and tutorials
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In the Book Details pane, you can also right-click a format label, and select a program to open the book with, using calibre's builtin Open With feature.

EDIT: Ninjaed by theducks
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the viewer preferences under page flip options set page flip duration to zero which will disable page turn animations. And in the calibre preferences under Lokk & Feel enable the option to disable animations.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MarjaE - can also do this way (also see attached image)
  • From View drop down menu select View specific format
  • Select Format - eg EPUB
  • Click Open EPUB With
  • Select Add other application for EPUB files
  • If desired program not shown click Browse Computer for program
  • Navigate to preferred viewer program - eg Adobe Digital Editions
  • In Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts you can assign a shortcut to your preferred viewer

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	141593  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #11
MarjaE
Guru

One more big thing...

I can correct the title, author, etc. info in Calibre, but I somtimes still get the wrong title, author, info data when I try to open the file in my epub reader! I haven't tried exporting from Calibre to my external reader yet.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Rename is Move if you supply the full path
In 2.31 it's switch/create library. But I screwed up, again, and can't @#$%&$ undo.

Last edited by MarjaE; 09-01-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
One more big thing...

I can correct the title, author, etc. info in Calibre, but I somtimes still get the wrong title, author, info data when I try to open the file in my epub reader! I haven't tried exporting from Calibre to my external reader yet.
That is expected -- calibre does not modify the files on disk until you export them (save to disk/send to device/send to email). You can also use the Embed Metadata tool (Preferences ==> Interface ==> Toolbars to add the toolbar icon) to embed the updated metadata into the library copies -- this is an explicit user action.

Imagine you change the author of a book, or add tags to dozens of books and calibre locks down for ~seconds/minutes as it tries to update all those formats. Depending on the number of books, the filesystem (flashdrive FAT32 vs. anything modern) and the format, that could take a while...
Also calibre has a policy against doing unnecessary, lossy changes without being asked. Until you use Embed Metadata you could always restore the old metadata from the book file.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-02-2015 at 01:41 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
In 2.31 it's switch/create library. But I screwed up, again, and can't @#$%&$ undo.
You are correct when used to Move
Rename just changes the name IN PLACE (still on same path )

Tags
accessibility, calibre