Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Timmy
Timmy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10
Moon Reader Plus Font Issues

Hi. So I love Moon Reader, but there is one thing driving me absolutely insane! The fake italics. I've written the developer a suggestion, saying it'd be nice if we could add our own font faces to get rid of fake italics and bold.

The dev told me to 'use tts font family "name.ttf+name-bold.ttf+name-italic.ttf", select "name" as the font.' (Literally what they said.)

I do not know what a "tts font family" is, but I've created a ttc font collection using Font Forge and put it in my folder and it didn't do anything (Moon Reader still used fake italics).

Does somebody know what the dev is talking about? Can I get rid of these damn fake italics?
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
What is a fake italic, and how is it different from a non fake italic?

Any set of 4 correctly named variants of a fonts will give you normal, bold, italic and bold plus italic. If copied to a folder which moon can use
Works for me with collections copied e.g. from kindle or from pc
If they are "fake", then colour me fooled. Look fine to me.
There are other threads explaining the naming convention, but it's the same convention as used elsewhere, so a simple copy just works.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

Any set of 4 correctly named variants of a fonts will give you normal, bold, italic and bold plus italic. If copied to a folder which moon can use
There are other threads explaining the naming convention, but it's the same convention as used elsewhere, so a simple copy just works.
Fake italics is when the eBook calls for an italic font and instead of using an italic font, it just slants the regular font or if you want bold italics, it slants the bold font. It's very obvious that an italic font is not being used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I identify "fake italics" as those where an app just uses the Regular font then slants it a bit. In English it's most noticeable with a lower case 'f'. Typically a real italic 'f' has half the glyph as a descender below the baseline, whereas the fake italic is slanted but has no descender.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
Timmy

Quote:

It's when, instead of actually using an italic face, someone simply slants the regular version of the font. Here, I'll show you to be perfectly clear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_232430.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	179568

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_232447.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	179569

See the differences between "young" and "Oof"? The fake (first one) looks like regular letter slanted. It's driving me insane.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Hi. So I love Moon Reader, but there is one thing driving me absolutely insane! The fake italics. I've written the developer a suggestion, saying it'd be nice if we could add our own font faces to get rid of fake italics and bold.

The dev told me to 'use tts font family "name.ttf+name-bold.ttf+name-italic.ttf", select "name" as the font.' (Literally what they said.)

I do not know what a "tts font family" is, but I've created a ttc font collection using Font Forge and put it in my folder and it didn't do anything (Moon Reader still used fake italics).

Does somebody know what the dev is talking about? Can I get rid of these damn fake italics?

BIG EDIT: I'm a moron. So I've looked around these forums and I've found that naming is key. Big thanks to Proximanova for opening my dumbass eyes.

For all who have suffered like me, the answer is simple:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=5
Old 12-22-2020, 06:10 AM   #7
Mortiferon
Magnus
Mortiferon began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 8 & SAMSUNG-SM-T377V
Struggling with this also, but naming solution doesn't work for me.

I've tried specifying the font-family on <body> in CSS. (Which is apparently the proper way to do it; according to Amazon anyway)

I've tried specifying the font: style, variant, weight and family of each on <p>, <i>/<em>, <b>/<strong>.

None working with Moon+ Reader Pro. It only uses the "Regular" font.

It doesn't even work when I attempt to use inline CSS (style=""). Nor even when I create a CSS class and use <whatever class="whatever;"> or <span style="whatever;">.

Whereas, in Calibre and PocketBook, all these methods work.

I should mention these fonts are embedded; there's no "fonts" folder on my Fire HD 8 (yet; want one, unsure where the 'proper' placement is. Main device memory root folder???). And yes, I've heard rumor that there are issues with fonts on Fire HD's (but I can't see how that could be the problem when they DO work in other apps; same device, same fonts).

I've also seen mention about OS/2 type in the font files (apparently, for ADE, only "type 3" is acceptable or some such). Most of the source files were from "type 1"; I did change to "Automatic". And only this font-family is problematic out of over 50 fonts (I have not attempted any other font-family; yet). So it seems unlikely to me that it is anything to do with that. It is font family specific, whatever it is.

Anybody got any ideas? I really like this app best of all (despite its myriad rendering pitfalls if you're trying to go too fancy; definitely not what this one's good for), but... this is not going to do it for me long-haul with this particular, seriously annoying issue.

In a slightly related aside... I'm wondering, what is the proper method (which will work with whatever font you change to) to invoke the true bolditalic font? (When you are specifying the font-family strictly to the <body> tag, not the specific ones per <p>, <i>, etc.)

In Calibre and Pocketbook it seems like it may be:
<strong><i>
<strong><em>
(Know it's not: <b><i>)

Would like to be sure. Thanks.
Mortiferon is offline   Reply With Quote