Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
iPad Pro 12.9" 1st vs 2nd gen.

Hi, I'm currently shopping around for a used iPad Pro. Does anyone happen to know if there is any difference in the screen (e.g. anti-glare coating, brightness, etc.) between the first and second generation iPad Pro 12.9" ?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can compare different models on Apple.com.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Edited to remove incorrect info. When looked at the various models, I had picked versions 1 and 3, instead of 1 and 2.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-25-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Yeah, it looks like the 2nd gen. screen is brighter and has a wide gamut display.

I'm also interested in whether the antireflective coating is any different / better? But maybe only someone who has owned both would know that.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
Thanks. Yeah, it looks like the 2nd gen. screen is brighter and has a wide gamut display.

I'm also interested in whether the antireflective coating is any different / better? But maybe only someone who has owned both would know that.
I've had both. I don't really remember any huge difference in screen quality between the two. I think the previous poster is confusing gen 2 with the current generation, gen 4. Both gen 1 and gen 2 have a home button. Gen 2 has True Tone and is a bit brighter, though I think you would need to see it in dim viewing light to tell. Both are 1st gen pencil rather than 2nd gen like the current iPad Pro model. Specs say the gen 2 is a bit faster and has a better camera. The front camera is a lot better in gen 2, which might be important if you plan to use facetime.

I have a gen 2 that is still working, though the battery doesn't hold juice nearly as long, but I use my gen 4. I can tell a big difference between the gen 2 and gen 4.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
From our wiki iPad Pro

Display

12.9” Retina display, 2732 x 2048 at 264 ppi, aspect ratio 4:3, 5.6MP
10.5" Retina display, 2224 x 1668 at 264 ppi, aspect ratio 4.3, 3.7MP
9.7" Retina display, 2048 × 1536, at 264 aspect ratio 4:3, 3.1MP
LED-backlit Multi-Touch.
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Fully laminated display with Antireflective coating
9.7" model features Wide color display and True Tone display
2017 models feature ProMotion technology Wide color P3 and True Tone display

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I agree with the confusion. I have a 2nd generation iPad. It is not compatible with the newer Apple Pencil.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

I have a gen 2 that is still working, though the battery doesn't hold juice nearly as long, but I use my gen 4. I can tell a big difference between the gen 2 and gen 4.
Does the battery lose its charge faster as it ages? Do you eventually have to replace the battery, or have to buy a new iPad?

How long are iPads expected to last?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Does the battery lose its charge faster as it ages? Do you eventually have to replace the battery, or have to buy a new iPad?

How long are iPads expected to last?
Yep, you do have to eventually replace the battery, losing charge faster is a sign that it's starting to go. With my iPhone, I use a mophie battery case. Since it will use external power first, it never uses the internal battery. That's why I have a 6 plus that still has the original battery.

IPad's generally don't have battery cases, so you have a choice between replacing the battery or buying a new iPad. How long the battery last tends to depend on how much you use the iPad per day.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I don't have the 1st gen 12.9 but I do have the following devices which all have antireflective coating applied:

Air 2
Pro 9.7
Pro 10.5
Pro 12.9 (2nd gen)

Don't really notice a difference in reflectiveness.

Battery is a consumable. Official battery replacement for iPads cost $99 (although really, Apple just replaces your iPad with a refurb one instead of actually replacing the battery).

That said, an iPad with degraded battery usually still has much longer battery life compared to a similarly aged iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	079DDC44-B3C1-47BE-A450-BD902218CAFF.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	179528  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-26-2020 at 12:59 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote