Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
thiagorossiit
thiagorossiit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Protect file from changes

Hi!

I am new to Calibre and I loved the program. A friend recommended it and it is really good. Congratulations on everybody that helped the project!

I am writing because I have a lot of e-books and some of them are duplicated in different formats. I saw Calibre can edit EPUB and AZW3. I did some test and edited a copy of my library and it modified the original file. I saw some options talking about ORIGINAL_EPUB but it didn't make a copy, it changed the "master" file. Maybe only converting makes this copy?

Can I protect the files from being modified like iPhoto, Picasa or Lightroom (if someone uses them)? For example, when I change the metadata it doesn't modify the EPUB or AZW3 file, but an external file. If someone accidentally edit the EPUB I hope it changes a copy or don't change anything.

Is possible? I can modify the file to be read only but I don't want to do that every time I import a file.

Thanks!
thiagorossiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagorossiit View Post
Hi!

I am new to Calibre and I loved the program. A friend recommended it and it is really good. Congratulations on everybody that helped the project!

I am writing because I have a lot of e-books and some of them are duplicated in different formats. I saw Calibre can edit EPUB and AZW3. I did some test and edited a copy of my library and it modified the original file. I saw some options talking about ORIGINAL_EPUB but it didn't make a copy, it changed the "master" file. Maybe only converting makes this copy?

Can I protect the files from being modified like iPhoto, Picasa or Lightroom (if someone uses them)? For example, when I change the metadata it doesn't modify the EPUB or AZW3 file, but an external file. If someone accidentally edit the EPUB I hope it changes a copy or don't change anything.

Is possible? I can modify the file to be read only but I don't want to do that every time I import a file.

Thanks!
Somebody?
You prevent changes by limiting WHO uses your login.

You can allow other members of your house read access via them content-server (I would start that using the command line)

Are you worried about changes AFTER the book leaves the Library? DRM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:30 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
ORIGINAL_EPUB is not a backup, it is meant only for giving you the chance to revert an automated conversion gone wrong.

No one other than you should be messing around with your files. calibre does not have any options for artificially locking books -- it assumes that anyone who can run calibre and possesses file ownership of your calibre library has the authorization to do whatever they want.

As theducks pointed out, the Content Server allows others to access the library strictly for downloading, which should fulfill your needs.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, protection, read only