Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #1
Seth H
Enthusiast
Seth H began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Font sizes when sending book from Calibre to Kobo

I wanted to have a standard size and font for my books both in Calibre and when sent to my Kobo.
I set the font size in: Preferences>Conversion>Common Option>Fonts to 13pt. I then converted a small selection of books EPUB to EPUB. Using the Calibre ebook viewer the fonts appeared to be the same size. However when sent to my Kobo there was a significant difference between font sizes.

Am I doing something wrong here and is there a way to have my Kobo reader display a set font size, line spacing and margins.

Any advice much appreciated.
Seth H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do not need to set the main font size, line height, and margins. In fact, you want them left out of the CSS. You use the sliders in the Aa menu to set the font size, line height, and margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Seth H
Enthusiast

Jon thank you for your response. However I would rather not have to mess around with the Kobo Aa sliders for each book.

As I can set a consistent font size in Calibre I am hoping that I could transfer that consistent Font Size to the Kobo ereader.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't know about conversion, but you can do it by editing the font sizes in the editor. Remove any specified size from the body and general paragraphs in the css. The same with line-height and margins. The drawback is it must be done individually for each book.

And it's also possible you'll have to patch your Kobo, if you've not already done so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Using pt for a font size is best avoided in my experience.

See if you can get calibre to set the font-size to either 100% or 1em when converting any book. Then you can set the sliders for the desired font size on your kobo once and all books will have the same font size.

Last edited by hobnail; 08-04-2021 at 01:25 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's very easy to edit the CSS in Calibre. Once you have the eBook loaded into the editor...

1. Tools > Remove unused CSS rules
2. Search in the CSS for line-height and delete all line-height lines
3. Search for font-size and delete the ones that change the font size of the body text

That's all you need to do unless you want to do more editing.

You set the sliders in the Aa menu and it's set unless you load another eBook you've already started reading with different settings.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
Seth H
Enthusiast

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. The more I use Calibre the more I find my knowledge of Calibre and ebooks is not sufficient.
Using "Edit Book" would only allow me to edit one book at a time. Would it be possible to use: Convert Books>Look & Feel>Styling>Filter Style Information and check Fonts and Margins. This would allow me to update multiple books.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth H View Post
Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. The more I use Calibre the more I find my knowledge of Calibre and ebooks is not sufficient.
Using "Edit Book" would only allow me to edit one book at a time. Would it be possible to use: Convert Books>Look & Feel>Styling>Filter Style Information and check Fonts and Margins. This would allow me to update multiple books.
Yes, but this option will remove ALL font sizes and margins. The book probably has different font sizes and margins for chapter titles, footnotes, section breaks etc. The conversion option will remove all of them. It might butcher the layout, depending on the book.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-04-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:36 AM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, but this option will remove ALL font sizes and margins. The book probably has different font sizes and margins for chapter titles, footnotes, section breaks etc. The conversion option will remove all of them. It might butcher the layout, depending on the book.
Yes, with my sledgehammer approach I often end up with chapter titles on the left rather than centered, not bold, down close to the first paragraph, etc. But what's important to me is that the paragraph text be the same size, likewise for the margins, and line spacing, across all books. I'm more concerned about the words, the story, and the book's readability, not that it be pretty.

For public domain books that I've reformatted and uploaded here I do try to make it look nice but there again I don't specify a point size and set the margin and border to 0 (and now I'm wondering how they would look, on the kobo at least, if I left the margin and border unset or set to inherit).

Last edited by hobnail; 08-05-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:49 AM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
(and now I'm wondering how they would look, on the kobo at least, if I left the margin and border unset or set to inherit).
Tested this; I can leave padding and border unset but margin needs to be 0 or I get a blank line between paragraphs.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:56 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth H View Post
It will not allow you to deal with multiple eBooks at one time as CSS can be different and you would have to know which ones use the same classes.

What I outlined is something that's rather quick and easy to do.