Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
How to create packages for Kindle 2 international

Hi there.

2009/11/02 : Major simplification

Finally got it working.

The difference with earlier Kindle is that now each file in the package must be signed.
The signature is then checked against the RSA key installed in the ROM.

Unfortunately, there's no way to bypass that check .

So what we first do is install an extra RSA key in the device.
that's what the update file update_freekindle.bin is for.

Copy that file on the Kindle USB disk ; then:
go to HOME
MENU -> Settings
MENU -> Update Your Kindle
DO NOT SELECT RESTART, or you will brick your Kindle (though there's a way to get out of that infinite reboot)

That update will fail ! (Error 004). This is normal.

What this package does is add our key to the list of keys available.

You only have to do this once...

In the future, installing packages will be just like with previous version of the Kindle.

Attached is the new Kindle packager kindle_update_tool.py. It has one extra flag for generating Kindle 2 International packages: -k2i and -k2iex

Important points:
OpenSSL must be installed ; and the openssl binary must be in your path.
The file freekindle.pem is the RSA key used to sign and check the validity of the packages. Do not modify it. The file must be present in your current directory, along with the kindle_update_tool.py file.

(That's until I find a way to generate all the internal signature files within python rather than calling openssl directly.)

For safety purposes, here is the MD5 checksum of the keys, and of the package installing the keys:
MD5 (update_freekindle-k2i.bin) = de58ef1df239610a5656d7c904906d56

Only packages signed with the freekindle.pem RSA key will work with the update_freekindle-k2i package.

I've also attached the usual usbnetwork tool, compiled for Kindle 2, Kindle DX and Kindle International... It also shows how to easily make such packages

The update_freekindle-k2i.bin can still be used to cleanup should an error occur during the installation and leave the kindle in a corrupted state...

The update_freekindle-k2i.bin has been updated to not generate an error when installed.

Hope you like it, that was exciting !

A tad more info there:
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...kager-now.html

Edit: updated to version 0.5, now with uninstaller
Attached Files
File Type: gz packager-0.5.tar.gz (7.8 KB, 856 views)

Last edited by jyavenard; 11-03-2009 at 08:31 AM.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
kyoyky
kyoyky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i
Woot, that's great. thanks jyavenard
kyoyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've added a few packages there:
http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-create-packages-for-kindle-2.html

Last edited by jyavenard; 10-30-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Skaven
Skaven began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i, Nuut 2 EU Ver,
can u make step by step on how to install program on kindle 2i, i´m new on hacking kindle, i haw made
"
Copy that file on the Kindle USB disk ; then:
go to HOME
MENU -> Settings
MENU -> Update Your Kindle
DO NOT SELECT RESTART, or you will brick your Kindle (though there's a way to get out of that infinite reboot)
"

so now how do i install programs like savory

my firmware is 2.2.1

and i´m wondering if u can explain to me how i turn of amazon hompage block, i believe it using proxy

// Sorry About my Spelling Im Dyslectic //
Skaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
jyavenard
Zealot

do the same for the other bin file.
google is your friend. or at least try to read just for 2 minutes all the previous threads here !
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Ok, I have tried all the ways to do this but I cannot get it to work. The problem is that when I extract the zip files, they always save as a file associated with a particular program I have installed on my pc - even programmes like photoshop! This happens as soon as I use an extractor, even though the files are .bin files, their icon changes to whichever programme it gets associated with.

This also means that when I go into settings, the 'update your kindle' is greyed out so I cant select it.

I am so sick of seeing dead people on the kindle! I reckon amazon went through the list of worst possible pictures and loaded them onto the kindle.

Well, I have made progress, I was able to update the kindle so I presume the first patch worked. Now, I have put those other programs on the kindle, but where exactly should they go? Into the hidden systems folder or just on drive F (as my PC calls my kindle)

Last edited by Pushka; 11-01-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
jyavenard
Zealot

Guys, can you not post irrelevant questions in this thread such as how unzip or download a file etc?

That's such useless noise.
That a google search would have answered in two minutes.

If you can't even unzip a file, don't bother asking, and surely don't mess with your kindle !
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Guys, can you not post irrelevant questions in this thread such as how unzip or download a file etc. That's such useless noise.
That a google search would have answered in two minutes. If you can't even unzip a file, don't bother asking, and surely don't mess with your kindle !
Thanks for that response. I do not consider myself a novice PC user so I dont appreciate comments like yours! Having spent the better part of yesterday following your instructions to a T, they simply do not work for me. So I try to troubleshoot and ask questions that I think are relevant to my problems (as you suggest that it is not your instructions that are at fault) and you come back with a 'google' response. Well, I do a google and all it does it get me back to this thread.

And wasnt it only yesterday you realised that the instructions for the Kindle 2 did not work for the International version anyway? And this was after others were telling you of their problems.

I appreciate all that you are doing in trying to do these hacks, but really, do not appreciate your comment above. It is like being back at school, somewhere I left a long time ago. I have zipped and unzipped many files in my lifetime but have never experienced this issue before.
Thanks. I wont bother you again.

Last edited by Pushka; 10-31-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Thanks for that response. I do not consider myself a novice PC user so I dont appreciate comments like yours!
You mean like how do I unzip and download a bin file ?

Quote:
And wasnt it only yesterday you realised that the instructions for the Kindle 2 did not work for the International version anyway? And this was after others were telling you of their problems.
??
I had been trying to load binaries on a kindle 2 international from the day I received it...

And BTW, because history seems to have been changed. I had used a tar trick from before I ever knew it got mentioned here... I wish I did, it would have saved me the better part of the day

Quote:
somewhere I left a long time ago. I have zipped and unzipped many files in my lifetime but have never experienced this issue before.
Thanks. I wont bother you again.
A .bin file isn't a zipped file !
you copy it on the Kindle using the USB cable FFS.
When you plug your Kindle to your PC it it mounted as appear as a USB disk. You copy the bin file WITHOUT UNZIPPING IT to that directory. Then you eject the Kindle (do not use "safely remove that hardware" ; go in the Kindle Settings page and select "Upgrade ..."

But yeah... happy unzipping... O your highly PC expert...

Last edited by jyavenard; 10-31-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard

You are just plain rude. But at least I can quote and spell.

And for the record, I am not trying to unzip a bin file, I never said I was doing that, where did you get that idea from? But the .bin file comes zipped with other files, how is it possible to 'get' to it without unzipping the file it arrived in?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Ok, I have tried all the ways to do this but I cannot get it to work. The problem is that when I extract the zip files, they always save as a file associated with a particular program I have installed on my pc - even programmes like photoshop! This happens as soon as I use an extractor, even though the files are .bin files, their icon changes to whichever programme it gets associated with.

This also means that when I go into settings, the 'update your kindle' is greyed out so I cant select it.

I am so sick of seeing dead people on the kindle! I reckon amazon went through the list of worst possible pictures and loaded them onto the kindle.

Well, I have made progress, I was able to update the kindle so I presume the first patch worked. Now, I have put those other porgrams on the kindle, but where exactly should they go? Into the hidden systems folder or just on drive F (as my PC calls my kindle)
It does not matter what program Windows associates with a .bin file. The file itself isn't changed, so you can go ahead and copy it to the Kindle.

The .bin file goes in the "root" of the Kindle filesystem (drive F in your case).

You may want to wait until daffy4u adds a international page to the Visual Kindle Guide, see Screensaver Hack for International K2?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Pushka
Wizard

Thankyou Wallcraft, I appreciate your civilised reponse. And can see that you have actually read what I have done and the problems I have encountered. Kudos to you.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
s3bd3
s3bd3 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i
Hi

Thanks for your work !

Btw :
Quote:
That update will fail ! (Error 004). This is normal.
What if I don't get the Error 004 / any fail message ? Or may be I'm missing something ?

Regards
s3bd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3bd3 View Post
Hi

Thanks for your work !

What if I don't get the Error 004 / any fail message ? Or may be I'm missing something ?
Did you get any message at all ?

Anyhow, I have improved the freekindle package ; it will now install without generating an error.

I've updated the packager.tar.gz archive with the new package as well as the package on its own as well.

In fact, it would now be quite easy to modify the packager so it wouldn't even require that step anymore...
I'll be working on it whenever I have some more spare time...
Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
s3bd3
s3bd3 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Did you get any message at all ?

I've updated the packager.tar.gz archive with the new package as well as the package on its own as well.

I'm going to test it right away

EDIT : Ok it's working perfectly fine, K2i recognized the update, and screensaver hack works fine, I'm going to test the others, thanks again !

Last edited by s3bd3; 11-01-2009 at 07:38 AM.
s3bd3 is offline   Reply With Quote