Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Mobi2Mobi_GUI for Mobi2Mobi Mobiperl Tool

****Kindle AZW File Users Alert****
Amazon Kindle (AZW) files now tie the Clipping Limit and TTF Flags into the DRM of the file. Using Mobi2Mobi (GUI) too remove these flags from DRM'd files will result in an unreadable file. Always ensure you only use Mobi2MobiGUI on copies of the original files.
Check the Kindle forum for more information regarding AZW DRM'd files.

v0.11 Has a fix courtesy of DiapDealer to address the potential truncation of the Mobi2Mobi output into the GUI textbox due to NULL characters in the text. The new v0.11 zip also contains the LoRes version of the GUI.

I have also finally released the current VB code for both the FAT & Slim versions of the GUI.

As always make sure you have backups of your files prior to making any mods, especially if you do in place modifications.

Note v0.11 Supports PRC, MOBI & AZW file extensions natively. Kindle users don't need to rename their AZW files to MOBI to use the GUI as some of the older guides on the web refer to older versions of the GUI.

Requirements:

MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Mobiperl Mobi2Mobi tool Perl/Win32 v0.0.42 or greater
VB Source Code requires MS Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition or greater

------------------
Please have a play and feedback any comments you have. Make sure you read the ReadMe.txt for the GUI requirements.

The Mobi2Mobi GUI source code is being released under GPLv3. Note that the code is largely undocumented and is released as is. I'm not the tidiest programmer so excuse what are probably a bunch of big no no's in the code. If you make use of the code or make any improvements, please send me a copy as I'm always interested in learning.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v10.zip (77.6 KB, 11760 views)
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v10_Source_GPL.zip (46.9 KB, 3996 views)
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v10slim_Source_GPL.zip (47.4 KB, 3212 views)
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v11.zip (78.1 KB, 9598 views)

Last edited by Jad; 03-15-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Change to Mobi2Mobi output text to address NULL character issue.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
You beat me to it ;-)

Although I was thinking about using Python so that it runs on Linux as well.
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
As soon as I click on "Open File", it crashes. See attached screen dump. I'm running WinXP SP2 and have the dotNet v1 and v2 stuff installed. Other dotNet programs work ok.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Error.bmp (422.8 KB, 3923 views)
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
You beat me to it ;-)

Although I was thinking about using Python so that it runs on Linux as well.
This could be a perfect opportunity to learn Mono
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

hi jbenny, thats very strange. I initially started development in VC#2008 but decided most people probably wouldn't have v3/3.5 of .NET. I checked the project and its built under .NET v2.0.50727 SP1. It sounds like one of the core system dlls is awol. You can always install the latest v3.5 of .NET as this includes the previous versions and just adds a bit of extra stuff.

Sorry for not having a more definative answer for you.
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Jad
Groupie

Ok back again. I did a check on a non SP1 v2 .NET install and I can reproduce the error that you got jbenny. I installed the SP1 update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And after the reboot the program worked fine. Give it a go and let me know if you are still having issues.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Jad
Groupie

Ok my original reply has to be approved by a moderator apparently. jbenny, I tested on a non SP1 v2 .NET install and got the same error. Installing v2 .NET SP1 corrected this.

Give it a go and let me know how you went.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just receive a nice crash. I do have the latest .net 2 with all the updates. And I have the latest Mobi2Mobi v36.

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'H:\E-Books\SonyReader\MobileRead\PRC\0-AD\mobidata.m2m' because it is being used by another process.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Jad
Groupie

Thanks for the feedback Jon. I actually just got that error myself. I'll have to look at a better way of doing the open code. Currently I open a new process to run the Mobi2Mobi exe converting the PRC file to a temp MOBI file, at the same time I pipe the output to a text file 'mobidata.m2m'. I have a thread sleep command after the initial process runs before I then read the first line of the text file to retrieve the Database Name. Its a bit of a cludge and sometimes the initial process doesn't close before the system trys to read the file.

Does it do it to you all the time or just the once so far? I'll see if I can find a better way of doing this other than increasing the thread sleep time.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Jad
Groupie

Ok back again.. I've squashed the 'Being used by another process' bug so hopefully this won't re-occur, also it speeds up the open file and convert process slighty as well. I'll release a v0.02 with these fixes as well as the ability to set a default path for your eBooks. Be up soon, got go get some free morning tea first.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I really like a gui. Great job but I think I found a new bug.

The program starts, I can select the working directory, but as soon as I click the open file button I get:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	2453
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	11296  
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Jad
Groupie

Mobi2Mobi GUI v0.03 Now Supports .MOBI extn

Well the GUI is now almost a true frontend for Mobi2Mobi. I finally figured out the code to read the Mobi2Mobi output to parse out Author & Publisher details. I'll start playing with Cover Images next to get that working.

I also fixed the default eBook directory feature, which was supposed to work in v0.02 but due to my fat fingers I deleted a .Text in the wrong spot somewhere along the line and poof it stopped working.

Also quite a few people are having exception errors when using the GUI. You absolutely 100% must have Service Pack 1 for .NET Framework v2 installed. The only really easy way to check this is to open Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel and see what it says. The .NET Framework 2 entry should have Service Pack 1 as part of its name. If it doesn't you will need to install it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v003.zip (9.3 KB, 2920 views)

Last edited by Jad; 03-12-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've merged the threads because there is no need for seperate threads for every new version.

Jad, you might want to remove the 002 attachment and place the 003 in place of it.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
Jad
Groupie

Thanks JSWolf, I've updated the original post with the new version of the GUI.

Did SP1 for .NET v2 fix your crashing problems??

Cheers again.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just tried .03 and it didn't work. I'd put in the info and click convert and nothing.

Tags
mobi2mobi