Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
fodiator
fodiator began at the beginning.

Device: Irex ILiad
Smile Tool to split up double pages

Hi,
I've just have received my Iliad and really like it. Unfortunately some of my PDFs are multipaged (2 portait formatted pages on one landscape page), like the Linux pnup tool is generating.

I have looked around but have not found any working tool to reformat these files to be readable properly on the Iliad.

So I did some testing on my Linux PC and wrote a little shell script to unpnup such PDFs. It works perfect with my A4 Landscape PDFs but should be easily adapted to unpnup even multicolumn pages.
Find my bash script attached.

Hope you find it useful
Regards
Fodiator
Attached Files
File Type: gz unpnup.gz (647 Bytes, 3483 views)

Last edited by fodiator; 09-30-2007 at 02:50 PM.
fodiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thanks, is it posible to use it in windows, and if yes how do i run the script?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

Jose
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
fodiator

Thumbs down

Sorry,
unfortunately I don't think there is way to run it under windows (ecxept you run Linux in a vmware box). But it would be possible to run it via a php script as a service on a Linux webserver.
Perhaps a friendly soul will do it.

regards
Fodiator
Old 09-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
pdflrf will do that

You can use pdflrf by cacapee in windows, dos, and Ubuntu Linux to split and refine pdf, djvu or zipped png pages. The output in zipped png can be easily converted to any other format, e.g. pdf.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Will this work on PDFs that are text-based as well as image based? And will it increase the size of PDFs?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
fodiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Will this work on PDFs that are text-based as well as image based? And will it increase the size of PDFs?
If you are mentioning my tool: yes it works on text and image based PDF's it just cutting them in half leaving the content completely unchanged. The size grows by 15% to 50% because the number of pages will be doubled.

Regards
Fodiator
Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Code:
#programs required:
#pdftk, pdftops, poster, epstopdf
These binaries have to be installed to run the shell script successfully.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
split pages in pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
As far as pdflrf is concerned it works with text and image pdf/djvu files (and image zipped png files) and converts them to image based lrf (Sony Reader format) or zipped png files. You can always OCR the png files and save the result as pdf if you wish. The program not only splits the pages and optionally changes them from portrait to horizontal (which increases the width of readable view) but also optionally fattens the fonts and removes white margins, plus offers a number of other settings.

I use pdflrf for converting my input files to beefed up images, in order to use them instead of pdfs in my 7" Archos 704 wifi. The main reason is very slow rendering of pdfs by Archos.

Another opition to split the pages in image only mode is to use unpaper. Linux version is available from the author's site. Command line version for DOS/Windows is available in a package pdfread (search in the directory where you install pdfread).
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
If you don't have linux you can always split files with pdftk. Just cut the double sided into two files, odd.pdf and even.pdf then run:

pdftk even.pdf burst output %04d_A.pdf

pdftk odd.pdf burst output %04d_B.pdf

pdftk *_?.pdf cat output combined.pdf

It'll take your odd and even pages and put them in the right order.
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar View Post
If you don't have linux you can always split files with pdftk. Just cut the double sided into two files, odd.pdf and even.pdf then run:
how can i split double image pages in two pdf pages?
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Code:
#programs required:
#pdftk, pdftops, poster, epstopdf
These binaries have to be installed to run the shell script successfully.
im mac user: i cannot find poster and epstopdf. Where or which package i have to look for?
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
fodiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
im mac user: i cannot find poster and epstopdf. Where or which package i have to look for?
Hi,
poster could be downloaded from ftp://ftp.ics.ele.tue.nl/pub/users/j.../poster.tar.gz
epstopdf should be part of the LaTex packages (unfortunately i can't give you any details because am not a Mac user)

Hope it helps, regards
Fodiator
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar View Post

pdftk even.pdf burst output %04d_A.pdf

pdftk odd.pdf burst output %04d_B.pdf

It'll take your odd and even pages and put them in the right order.
Thanks! There is a correction, however. I suppose this could depend on the files, but I had to do this:

pdftk odd.pdf burst output %04d_A.pdf

pdftk even.pdf burst output %04d_B.pdf

For those who want to understand what this set of arcane commands means, you're telling pdftk to take the two pdf documents and split them into one pdf file per page. They get names like 0001_A.pdf, 0002_A.pdf, etc from the "odd" document, then 0001_B.pdf, 0002_B.pdf, etc. for the "even" document. If you list those alphabetically, the A's will come before the B's of the same number, so the "cat output" command puts them all back together in the right order. (You'll want to delete all the extra PDF documents afterwards, probably.)

As far as how to split the PDF document into A and B parts, I used Acrobat's Crop command. First I cropped to just keep the left half, and saved that as "odd.pdf", then I did the same but only kept the right half, as "even.pdf".
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
rakis
rakis began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3 or Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
You can install all of the above utilities using Fink found here

Warning: Fink is a bit Unixy, if you aren't familiar with the Terminal it might be a little difficult.
rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Awesome! Thanks!

It'd be great if it was able to remove the empty margins --there seems to be no option for that in pdftk or poster, other than manually specifying the margins.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote