Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
DMerriman
DMerriman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Bugs? Book conversion, and tranferring books to Kobo

Have been using Calibre a few weeks now, and think there might be a couple of issues with it. I'm using openSuSE Linux, have installed the latest update (0.7.55), and use a Kobo:

1) Calibre consistently indicates that it's done transferring books (almost instantly; even the Jobs spinner says it's done) to the device before they're actually on it. I've had to start leaving Calibre running and the reader connected for as much as an hour to be sure things have been copied over before I disconnect/unplug. I've tried tranferring just a few (2 or 3) and even just one book at a time, and this still happens.

2) I wait until I have several (sometimes many) books to convert from other formats to epub; if it's more than just a few (half-dozen, maybe) it seems that the last book to be converted never finishes (looking at the jobs listing, several minutes have passed). If I exit Calibre, restart, and then convert that last book, it happens in a matter of just a few seconds just as the others did.

3) This last may be a Kobo issue, but Calibre doesn't see/understand when I have different SD cards in the reader. Because of the limitations of the Kobo, I find it easier to swap out SD cards and have to scroll through a hundred books, rather that put everything on one card and have to scroll through ALL of them.

If these are actual issues with Calibre (and not the user ), I can provide screen captures to show exactly what's going on.

Thanks.
DMerriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) You likely have your device being mounted in async mode by opensuse, which means files copied to the device are not always immediately written out. Usually, doing an eject should take care of that.

3) I'm not sure what you mean.

2) This one is some sort of IPC issue, that crops up on some linux installs. Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes it, or how to workaround it. Fixing it is going to require someone who can reproduce the problem and spend lots of time in the code nailing down the cause.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
DMerriman
DMerriman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thank you for responding so quickly.

1) I'll change the mounting for the Kobo (and card) to operate in sync versus async. Dang, I should have remembered that.

2) Not a "major problem", just a mosquito bite

3) Calibre doesn't know/recognize/understand that I might have my "SciFi" card in the reader this time, when I had "Mysteries" in last time. Like I said, not sure if this is Calibre or just the (cheap/minimalist) Kobo.

Again, thanks for the fast response.
DMerriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
3) Do you mean you are switching the cards while the Kobo is connected? If so, that wont work, you have to disconnect and re-connect.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote