Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
.mobi editor

I have some non-drm protected mobi files of public works, however there are some formating errors, and the occasional spelling error. Is there a good way to edit these files? (I am looking for a way to edit them in Linux, but if there is a good Windows program I'll see if I can't use WINE.)

I've googled and come up empty.

(Note: Sorry moderator I placed this in the wrong area)
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
You can "unpack" a mobi file with Calibre, MobiPerl or the Perl EBooks-Tools (available on CPAN). All of these works in Linux. Calibre and MobiPerl or the Linux version of mobigen can be used to convert the unpacked edited files to a mobi file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I was hoping for some editor program to exist, but I guess I can just script it out in python. BTW where can you unpack the file in Calibre? I only see options to convert it to other formats like .mobi, lrf, and epub. Is it a command line option in the terminal because I don't find any settings in the gui.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoric View Post
I was hoping for some editor program to exist, but I guess I can just script it out in python. BTW where can you unpack the file in Calibre? I only see options to convert it to other formats like .mobi, lrf, and epub. Is it a command line option in the terminal because I don't find any settings in the gui.
any2oeb I think is the most recent command. There was a mobi2oeb also I think. And probably only as command line programs. The latest version might have just one command line program that does everything.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You should be able to install the Mobiperl programs, which include mobi2html. You can then edit the html file, then rebuild.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
... or use stanza to convert your file to either html or rtf, then edit away.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoric View Post
I have some non-drm protected mobi files of public works, however there are some formating errors, and the occasional spelling error. Is there a good way to edit these files? (I am looking for a way to edit them in Linux, but if there is a good Windows program I'll see if I can't use WINE.)

I've googled and come up empty.

(Note: Sorry moderator I placed this in the wrong area)
I'd recommend that you check to see if the title is uploaded here. It will probably be of higher quality.

If the ebooks in question are from here, I for one would be happy to fix any mistakes you found in an ebook I made,
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
any2oeb I think is the most recent command. There was a mobi2oeb also I think. And probably only as command line programs. The latest version might have just one command line program that does everything.
I need to do this on a file that got somewhat mangled by mobi2html. Can you provide more specific instructions as to how to do this in Calibre? Thank you.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I need to do this on a file that got somewhat mangled by mobi2html. Can you provide more specific instructions as to how to do this in Calibre? Thank you.
No, since I do not use it. Ask in a Calibre forum.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
I vaguely recall that Kovid Goyal, the author of calibre, mentioned in one of his posts that he'd eventually implement an editor in calibre. When that happens, I'll be quite pleased as I, too, am irritated by hard hyphens in place of soft hyphens, and by such common spelling errors as "principals" instead of "principles". I'd really like to be able to fix my copies of unprotected .mobi e-books as I read them.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote