Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Latest update somehow destroyed my Glo HD

After getting the 4.5.9587 update my Glo HD had some discharging issues. Somehow it drained the battery over night. A few days after I got the update in drained all the battery and now I am left with a Glo HD which wouldn't let itself be charged.

I bought it 2 years and 7 days ago, but I brought it already 2 weeks ago to the market I bought it where they told me Kobo only gives 1 year warranty on my Glo HD, therefore they won't fix it.

Do you guys have any tricks how to fix my Glo HD? Open it, hard reset it or something like that?

Thanks a lot for the help.
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The latest update is 4.6.9995. You don't have it. Try installing it and see what happens.

Go to the thread about 4.6.9995 and look for the post I made with the links to the different device firmware and find the one you want. Then unzip the contents to the .kobo directory on your Glo HD. Eject from the computer and watch it install.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1508 View Post
After getting the 4.5.9587 update my Glo HD had some discharging issues. Somehow it drained the battery over night. A few days after I got the update in drained all the battery and now I am left with a Glo HD which wouldn't let itself be charged.

I bought it 2 years and 7 days ago, but I brought it already 2 weeks ago to the market I bought it where they told me Kobo only gives 1 year warranty on my Glo HD, therefore they won't fix it.

Do you guys have any tricks how to fix my Glo HD? Open it, hard reset it or something like that?
Sorry, I'm not sure of the state of the device. Are you saying it won't turn on? That you think the battery discharged fully and won't recharge? Exactly what to suggest depends on what is happening, what is currently on the screen, what happens when you try to do something, and what you have tried.

But, the first step is pretty much to plug it in to a PC and let it charge for a while. If the battery is flat, the device usually turns on after a short recharge. And for devices that refuse to turn on, it's not uncommon for people to put them on charge and find it is working the next day.

@JSWolf: As the OP actually stated the firmware that was installed, "Latest update" probably meant "last time the device automatically updated". And for most devices, that is still going to be 4.5.9587. And I'm pretty sure the OP cannot do what you suggested as the device doesn't appear to be starting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
paul1508

Quote:
But, the first step is pretty much to plug it in to a PC and let it charge for a while. If the battery is flat, the device usually turns on after a short recharge. And for devices that refuse to turn on, it's not uncommon for people to put them on charge and find it is working the next day.
I actually did that. The ereader only statet "Please charge the device" on its screen. No reaction whatsoever. Didn't react no matter if I plug it into the PC or a wall plug. Therefore I gave it to the retailer I bought it from and he sent it to a repair center which said they can't fix it and no warrenty is left.

Long story short:

I just plugged it in the PC and its working again. It also says it has 100 % charge... So should I be worried?
--
Okay one time in hibernation and back told the real charge of 15 %...

Last edited by paul1508; 10-17-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I actually did that. The ereader only statet "Please charge the device" on its screen. No reaction whatsoever. Didn't react no matter if I plug it into the PC or a wall plug. Therefore I gave it to the retailer I bought it from and he sent it to a repair center which said they can't fix it and no warrenty is left.

Long story short:

I just plugged it in the PC and its working again. It also says it has 100 % charge... So should I be worried?
--
I think the only thing to worry about is that the battery might be dying. A two year old Li-Ion battery should still be good, but I would expect reduced capacity. How much depends the usage and conditions it is kept in. Hot conditions, and the battery will die quicker. Cool conditions will keep it going longer.

At this point, I would suggest trying to cycle the battery a couple of times. That should recalibrate the power meter and hopefully show how much capacity it is keeping.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Long story short:

--
Was it the same cable every time too?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Was it the same cable every time too?
Very good point. I have found that some cables do not seem to work well with my Kobos even though they work fine with other devices. So if I'm traveling and only want to take one cable, I make sure that it's the Kobo one just to be safe.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
paul1508

I guess I used when I first tried (before I sent it to the repair shop) the same cable which somehow fixed it. This 0,9 m cable --> https://www.anker.com/products/varia...-3ft-/A7115091

And the same cable but in 1,8 m is plugged into my wall charger which I used to charge it. Maybe I should use the shorter 0,9 m cable to charge it... Some devices are sensible to longer cables.

Last edited by paul1508; 10-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
paul1508

Okay I am back to base. My Glo HD is only showing the cover image of the book and won't get started if I plug it into the PC. The red light at the power on button is glowing though.

What I did. Upload a few new epubs. Try them out. Send to standby. The Kobo was fullish charged before (~95 %). Then I left it in standby over night. Now I wanted to start it from standby and it doesn't react.

Last edited by paul1508; 10-28-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
The Kobo was fullish charged before (~95 %). Then I left it in standby over night. Now I wanted to start it from standby and it doesn't react.
Sounds like your battery is at end of life.

I've always wondered if I could take a kobo with a dead battery to a battery store or one of the cell phone repair shops and ask if they could swap the battery for a new one. Has anyone tried that? Is there an online refurb shop that could do it?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote