Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Rethinking second Kindle purchase

First of all, I love my Kindle...love whispernet, love the one handed reading and thanks to igor's script, love borrowing from the library (although their mobi selection is limited compared to secure pdf).

The only thing I miss is sharing books with my mom, so with the Oprah deal and extended holiday return policy, I jumped on the opportunity to buy her one hoping she would love it as much as I do (still questionable since she isn't a gadget freak like myself nor particularly technically saavy..no scripts for her..but she does love to read).

As I read about the mobi servers removing the ability to store a PID with an * where as Sony can now read secure PDF's, it seems to me that one platform is becoming more open and the other is tightening their control over e-books.
This has me concerned and if its an intentional move on Amazon's part, I am wondering if its a matter of time before the Overdrive servers don't allow an * in the PID. I don't mind DRM in concept nor do I mind buying from Amazon as long as their pricing is fair. However, I do like to know I have options and don't like being forced to buy from one vendor.

I'm not typically an early-adopted of technology (waiting to see what become mainstream). While I have no regrets at all on my Kindle purchase (having got it on the Chase special), I feel like I am reliving the Beta/VHS, Blu-Ray/HD, etc...wars and perhaps its too early to invest more money in a particular platform until there is more direction.

Anyway, now that is off my chest I feel better now as I go back/forth on my return or give decision for the next month Thanks for letting me rant
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I will be sad if what you say comes to pass......but there are already more books on my Kindle than I can probably read in my lifetime, and if I couldn't buy another book tomorrow, I'd still consider this to be the best purchase I've made since my sewing machine 14 yrs ago.

But thats just me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The next version of the Kindle could very well support secure pdf's and the current version could get a software update. That's what happened to the Sony Reader, so it could happen to the Kindle.

Keep the faith!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Even still you can dedrm the books from the library if they won't take the Kindle PID any more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm a little confused by your post. Assuming you leave the Kindle for your mom on your account, you two can share books right left and sideways. And, since you could both be reading the same book at the same time, it makes the price even better ... it's like getting a fifty percent off deal on every book you buy.

If you are really keen on reading secure PDF, then I would wonder a little why you would have bought a Kindle in the first place ... but then again, I hate it when people second-guess other people's purchases.

In my view, Amazon has most of the books that I want to read, at a price I like, and my Kindle reads them perfectly. I wish I had a family member who had the same reading taste as I do .... I would buy them a Kindle in a heartbeat. Then again .... I've purchased one for a neighbor, and I don't regret that purchase one bit. She is totally non-techie (doesn't own and has never even used a computer), and she LOVES her Kindle.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

I too had hoped Amazon would follow Sony's lead and open their platform to secure pdf's with a software upgrade, but the removal of the * support for PIDs on their mobi servers makes me wonder if they are going the opposite direction.

While I played with dederm script, I have stuck with using Igor's because my goal has never been to remove DRM completely (a technicality I suppose, but it makes me feel like I am not totally breaking the rules ).

Thanks for the responses though, I do feel better though about my purchase
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And just one more thought

I'm wondering, if your mother is anything like me, she won't be all that interested in 'the latest and greatest'. Many times, best sellers are just so much fluff.

One of the things I enjoy most is downloading free books by authors I grew up with, and those from the early part of the century........the classics. I"m not talking Shakespeare, just good old fashioned reading.

Am I making sense? The ability to buy the latest thing by the flavor of the month might not be to her taste. Of course, i could be wrong.

You would know her reading tastes better than anyone, so you need to decide whats best for you.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 11-10-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I'm not THAT old!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Boston
Fanatic

I bought my Kindle before I found this board and knew about different formats, e-libraries and sites like fictionwise and bob. I just compared Sony bookstore pricing/availability to Amazon's and it seemed like a no-brainer.

I have no regrets (did I say I love my Kindle? ) but given what I know now, I am not sure the decision would've been as clearcut. I may have gone with the Sony 505 knowing they have a LightWedge cover as I don't use Whispernet as much as I thought I would (but love that its there when I want it). Again, my biggest concern is whether Amazon is going to go in the direction of consumer-wants or keeping them more locked in as they grow market.

I agree I can share books with my mom and that is the big reason I bought her a Kindle...but she isn't in a hurry for one (and in fact, when I tried to explain it over the phone, didn't get it) and thus wondering if I should wait as opposed to having two (fairly) early adopters.

I probably will just give it to her and see if she loves it as much as I do...and if so, I guess the rest doesn't matter and it will be worth it no matter the investment.

Last edited by Boston; 11-10-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And just one more thought

I'm wondering, if your mother is anything like me, she won't be all that interested in 'the latest and greatest'. Many times, best sellers are just so much fluff
She likes fluff I mix fluff with non-fiction (the later of which she usually leaves until last).

To confuse her more, my son is giving her a set of Harry Potter books for Christmas
Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I bought my Kindle before I found this board and knew about different formats, e-libraries and sites like fictionwise and bob. I just compared Sony bookstore pricing/availability to Amazon's and it seemed like a no-brainer.

I have no regrets (did I say I love my Kindle? ) but given what I know now, I am not sure the decision would've been as clearcut. I may have gone with the Sony 505 knowing they have a LightWedge cover as I don't use Whispernet as much as I thought I would (but love that its there when I want it). Again, my biggest concern is whether Amazon is going to go in the direction of consumer-wants or keeping them more locked in as they grow market.

I agree I can share books with my mom and that is the big reason I bought her a Kindle...but she isn't in a hurry for one (and in fact, when I tried to explain it over the phone, didn't get it) and thus wondering if I should wait as opposed to having two (fairly) early adopters.

I probably will just give it to her and see if she loves it...and if so, it will be worth it no matter the investment.
Well, let me give you the benefit of my experience in this regard. Like I said, I bought one for a very technophobic elderly lady (a neighbor of mine who loves to read). She did not want one .... no she most certainly didn't .... she was just sure she would break it, or wouldn't be able to use it. Yeah, right.

Now, every time I go over to check on her, she is reading yet another book on her Kindle. She especially loves it when I find out about a freebie she might like, and I email the link to her daughter-in-law, and next thing she knows, she's got a new book to read. (I registered that Kindle to her daughter-in-law's Amazon account .... but you have the benefit of being able to share an account with your mom.)

The thing is .... if you give it to your mom and let her play with it before the return period expires, then you can send it back .. or hell, sell it to someone here and make a little profit.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
She likes fluff I mix fluff with non-fiction (the later of which she usually leaves until last).

To confuse her more, my son is giving her a set of Harry Potter books for Christmas
so much for my profound thoughts!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, let me give you the benefit of my experience in this regard. Like I said, I bought one for a very technophobic elderly lady (a neighbor of mine who loves to read). She did not want one .... no she most certainly didn't .... she was just sure she would break it, or wouldn't be able to use it. Yeah, right.
Hopefully, her experience will be the same

The other thing that had me worrying was the posts I read on the Amazon forums about what seems like a lot of people having problems with things like having to reset their Kindle frequently or it suddenly dying. Neither of which I have experienced (knock-on-wood) and I know more people will post because they have a problem than not. Is the need to reset that common?

That will just frustrate her and my brother and I have had enough headaches walking her through her computer woes and questions (I live 500 miles away). Did I mention that the only reason she has a computer is so she can receive and forward jokes on email? She also has a cell-phone and will use it to make calls when out but still doesn't know how to pick up her messages
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Hopefully, her experience will be the same

The other thing that had me worrying was the posts I read on the Amazon forums about what seems like a lot of people having problems with things like having to reset their Kindle frequently or it suddenly dying. Neither of which I have experienced (knock-on-wood) and I know more people will post because they have a problem than not. Is the need to reset that common?

That will just frustrate her and my brother and I have had enough headaches walking her through her computer woes and questions (I live 500 miles away). Did I mention that the only reason she has a computer is so she can receive and forward jokes on email? She also has a cell-phone and will use it to make calls when out but still doesn't know how to pick up her messages
I've read those posts. I have had to reset mine once since I bought it in June. I have noticed, if I try to click too fast, every once in a while it will stall..........but within seconds, it will 'reset' itself, if I just leave it alone.
You can always include the Kindle support number with her order and tell her they are there to answer her questions!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm wondering, if your mother is anything like me, she won't be all that interested in 'the latest and greatest'. Many times, best sellers are just so much fluff.
I could also say many times best sellers are also very good books. I personally don't think books like _The Firm_ or _Kite Runner_ were fluff. I've also heard good things about _The Shack_ but haven't read it yet.

Remember, one man's (or grandma's) fluff is anothers joy. I'd rather see people read best sellers than People magazine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I could also say many times best sellers are also very good books. I personally don't think books like _The Firm_ or _Kite Runner_ were fluff. I've also heard good things about _The Shack_ but haven't read it yet.

Remember, one man's (or grandma's) fluff is anothers joy. I'd rather see people read best sellers than People magazine.

BOb
Yes yes yes, I knew that post would bring me grief.

If I read "The Shack" I'd go into a depression pit the size of Montana. Stories like that to me, are not 'uplifting', they are agonizing. Can't imagine the pain.

On the other hand, I do love all of Jonathan Kellermans "Alex Delaware" novels.......'sigh.

Okay, I take it all back. Happy now??