Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do you recall what version of Sigil you were using when it was working for you on that XP machine?

Dependency Walker is great for showing you any dependencies that may be missing. I don't think it requires an install of any kind. Just fire it up, point it at Sigil.exe and look for errors (warnings can usually be overlooked).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I suspect some Windows resource (dll, etc) that Sigil needs has gone missing somehow. But I can't work out which.
Can you go back to some former Windows repair point (don't know if this is the proper English word)?
Quote:
Is anyone else running Sigil on XP?
Yes. And out of pure interest I installed it anew just a few minutes ago. I took Sigil 7.3 and it all went fine.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do you recall what version of Sigil you were using when it was working for you on that XP machine?
0.72 was working, then this week it wasn't. I uninstalled it and installed 0.74, uninstalled and went back to 0.72, then tried the portable 0.74. All just started and exited without opening a window.

Quote:
Dependency Walker is great for showing you any dependencies that may be missing. I don't think it requires an install of any kind. Just fire it up, point it at Sigil.exe and look for errors (warnings can usually be overlooked).
Thanks, will give it a try.

--- Still more bloody illegible captures. Very, very annoying [See member's comment below this post. - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
--- Still more bloody illegible captures. Very, very annoying
I assume you mean captchas? Hang in there, you have to be close to that magic trial-period post-count where they go away. It's a shame it's come to this, but some people really do take the time to register and then unleash spam hell all across the forum.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #20
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
THANKS!
I think that's given me the answer.
It said ieshims.dll and wer.dll were needed.

These are Internet Explorer files, and seem to have been replaced by other files.
MS had to break something with its final update.

same problem as https://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/25410

Late here so I'll confirm that tomorrow and hopefully have Sigil again.
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
My PC is 6 months old and overpowered for most things I do.It handles 1080p video and Photoshop etc. all fine. And Calibre does run okay.
Six months old and running XP? Why would you do that? XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, I hope you know that?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
THANKS!

These are Internet Explorer files, and seem to have been replaced by other files.

same problem as https://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/25410

Late here so I'll confirm that tomorrow and hopefully have Sigil again.
I hope it works for you. Just know that my working versions of Sigil have always reported the missing IESHIMS.DLL.

From Dependency Walker's FAQ:
Quote:
Missing delay-load functions are not a problem as long as the calling DLL is prepared to handle the situation.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I suspect some Windows resource (dll, etc) that Sigil needs has gone missing somehow. But I can't work out which.

I run Sigil almost every day on XP SP3 (fresh , first time reinstall after 5 ears of use). It opens Slow (about 5 times slower than my W7 laptop), but it is reasonable once up and displaying.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Have a look at this stackoverflow thread ==>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...er-dll-missing

One guy fixed by winding IE back to from 8 to 7.

But why only Sigil and not other programs appears that it's probably something to do with QT 5 which Sigil uses, calibre currently uses Qt 4.?, do you have any other Qt programs installed ?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Yes for years, and I never had problems with the successive versions of Sigil.
XP SP3 with automatic updates until the end.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
I hope it works for you. Just know that my working versions of Sigil have always reported the missing IESHIMS.DLL.
Yes, false positive.
Those were the only missing files reported by DW, but installing them Sigil still doesn't launch.

Also apparently these are "delay load dependencies" which means the program should start without them. might fail later. So they aren't the roadblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But why only Sigil and not other programs appears that it's probably something to do with QT 5 which Sigil uses, calibre currently uses Qt 4.?, do you have any other Qt programs installed ?
Calibre
Avidemux, which has Qt 4.8.4

[Comment deleted - MODERATOR] .

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #27
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
On my XP3 system I am running SIGIL 0.5.3 which says Qt 4.7.4. Runs with no problems.
So, did you do a virus scan of your computer? Other scans? Restart?
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
On my XP3 system I am running SIGIL 0.5.3 which says Qt 4.7.4. Runs with no problems.
OK -- I tried that version, IT WORKS.
So probably a Qt5 issue.
Can you run later versions?
(Try the portable if you don't want to mess with your current setup.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
So, did you do a virus scan of your computer? Other scans? Restart?
Yes to all.

[Comment deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #29
AlanHK
Guru

Well, solved the problem, but no real explanation.

I installed 0.5.3 as above. worked (Qt 4.8.4)
then uninstalled and installed 0.6.2. Worked. (Qt 4.8.4)
then uninstalled and installed 0.7.0. Worked. (Qt 5.1.0))
then uninstalled and installed 0.7.2. Worked.
then uninstalled and installed 0.7.4. Worked.

So, 0.7.x (using Qt5) is now working on my PC. No idea of how much of that procedure was necessary.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
OK -- I tried that version, IT WORKS.
So probably a Qt5 issue.
Can you run later versions?
(Try the portable if you don't want to mess with your current setup.)

Yes to all.

Glad you got it working! I haven't tried any other versions. I have moved on to my Win7 laptop. I may try the portable version though!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 10:48 AM.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote