Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest getting her the 5" 350, and don't forget to buy a cover. I think the devices with the 5" screen are more robust in general, and there is no doubt that the 350 is now the pick of this crop. The only real alternative is the PocketBook 360, which comes with its own hard case. The 360 is a bit cheaper, and is certainly "good enough", but the 350 has better hardware and construction and about equally good software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #17
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest getting her the 5" 350, and don't forget to buy a cover. I think the devices with the 5" screen are more robust in general, and there is no doubt that the 350 is now the pick of this crop. The only real alternative is the PocketBook 360, which comes with its own hard case. The 360 is a bit cheaper, and is certainly "good enough", but the 350 has better hardware and construction and about equally good software.

Please consider Wallcraft's advice. He is very knowledgable and knows this type of device very well indeed. Based on this I would consider buying the 350 for myself but need the extra space for all the PDF format books I already have so a 650 will be my Christmas present (husband will take possession until Christmas).
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
...(husband will take possession until Christmas).
And you actually expect to see it again? My advice: get another 350.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And you actually expect to see it again? My advice: get another 350.
Actually, it is very safe because he doesn't read for enjoyment. Only technical books that he needs to read for work. Unless it is on-screen as part of an older computer game and that really doesn't count for this purpose. Having a reader / non-reader marriage can be rather tough. He favors me getting a e-book device mostly so when we move next year there won't be so many heavy boxes of books to move.

On the off chance he did take up reading due to my black Sony 650 he would want the red one so I'm still safe.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
Having a reader / non-reader marriage can be rather tough. He favors me getting a e-book device mostly so when we move next year there won't be so many heavy boxes of books to move.
Hey, that can still change! My marriage was reader / non-reader, now I can't pry my hubby away from his books!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Oh really! I just took a look at 350. I forgot this thing: Weight! for her hands. 650 is heavy.

Surely, I am going to buy her 350 soon (her birthday's a month forward, though). Will buy the pink model with velvet cover. Thanks for your useful advice wallcraft!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Oh really! I just took a look at 350. I forgot this thing: Weight! for her hands. 650 is heavy.

Surely, I am going to buy her 350 soon (her birthday's a month forward, though). Will buy the pink model with velvet cover. Thanks for your useful advice wallcraft!
The pink model comes with a free case and two free books from Sonystyle. Some of the proceeds go to breast cancer research.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666269896
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
I would think a reader was a fantastic thing to have as a child; but one other question you should consider is how she will obtain books. Unless she has her own credit card she will probably need someone else to buy online for her (and even if her parents are happy to do that it means she will have to ask them every time there is something new she wants) -- it's not as easy as taking her pocket money into a bookshop. You might also want to consider her tastes and investigate whether the kind of books she likes are published electronically -- I see quite a lot of children's books as ebooks but I think not as many as books marketed to adults.

(Unless of course she is going to read only public domain classics and fan fiction in which case she may be able to download them herself).
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27 View Post
I would think a reader was a fantastic thing to have as a child; but one other question you should consider is how she will obtain books. Unless she has her own credit card she will probably need someone else to buy online for her (and even if her parents are happy to do that it means she will have to ask them every time there is something new she wants) -- it's not as easy as taking her pocket money into a bookshop. You might also want to consider her tastes and investigate whether the kind of books she likes are published electronically -- I see quite a lot of children's books as ebooks but I think not as many as books marketed to adults.

(Unless of course she is going to read only public domain classics and fan fiction in which case she may be able to download them herself).
I already thought of that previously:

She already has a huge(I saw it - 3.4 GB... amazing! Even I dont have) collection of story books in one folder; some collected from her friends and some downloaded by herself. (She is quit smart in googling, and I was amazed how she downloaded Jody Kihara's White Witch Pond in two minutes in front of me.)

Secondly, I have PDF copies of her textbooks released free by governement.

Thirdly, I found some candy for her: (Whole list 50+ sites providing free ebooks for children)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-books-children

Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great selection! I like the pink color too. Hope your sister has a wonderful birthday!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, infrared, safety, sony