Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
updates.
mine has arrived and is all good so far:
specifically -
it fits and works in my 2017 case
google stuff is all working, though it need a while to do whatever background stuff has to happen. After a couple of restarts and a bit of messing about I am getting all my owned google apps to install ok ( I used the same 4 apks as for the 2017 model)
netflix is at full HD 1920 x 1080 ( not 720p like the 2017 model) . Confirmed with netflix test patterns and using the netflix app from the amazon store
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i'm waiting on mine to come i ordered both the HD10 $41 after discount and $30 off and a HD7 with a previous credit for $22
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2019, 03:46 AM   #18
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should you be able to charge the hd10 with an iPad Pro charger its 18 watts I think I read the fire only handles 15 watts
Old 11-26-2019, 03:58 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

probably yes, a charger rating is the max it can deliver, a device will pull only what it needs.
usually you consider the amps. if the charge is happening at 5v ( the standard output vis USB) then an 18w charger can deliver 3+ amps - that's a very fast charge. if fire can handle 15w then that's 2.5 amps - still pretty fast.
we have all sorts of chargers and all sorts of devices , and just use whatever is handy. nothing has blown up or melted yet!
amazon's own chargers are mostly 9w

FYI many of the fast charge methods are proprietary e.g. my lenovo tablet - connected to a non-lenovo "fast" charger that can deliver 2+ amps - will pop up a message saying I need the lenovo one for a "fast" charge

I suspect that only an Ipad can pull all of the 18W from the Ipad pro charger

Last edited by stumped; 11-26-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #20
Scarpad
Addict

I've heard that fast charging will reduce the life of the battery not sure how much truth that is, I will probably just use the included charger, if I'm in a hurry in a pinch I might try the iPad Pro
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard

you are assuming there is a charger included!
i cant remember if there was
new kindles for sure do not include a charger, just a lead. maybe the same for tablets now- helps keep the price down

what is more likely to damage the battery is a very cheap generic charger that does not have any overcharge protection . those are also more likely to damage you or your house melt, fire, explode.....

Last edited by stumped; 11-28-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:23 AM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
you are assuming there is a charger included!
Now with USB-C and faster charging. Includes a USB-C cable & 9W power adapter in the box.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Now with USB-C and faster charging. Includes a USB-C cable & 9W power adapter in the box.
ok . i thought there might have been but I am using an amazon fast charger that I already had spare. I must have left the other in the packaging.
9w could give 1.8 amp at 250v it if was 100% efficient, but no chargers are 100% efficient. I charge overnight anyway so I am not fussed about speeds- so long as it says 100% charged next morning, that's fine.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We opened the Fire 10 last night. Amazon had my wifi password stored so I didn't even have to put it in. After updates and charging, took me less than 5 minutes to install the Play store. Then my daughter took it and I haven't seen it since! LOL! I started a book on it in the Kindle app and the 2 column view was really nice. I may have to get another one on Prime day, if they put it back on sale + allow a trade in.

Also got a $5 credit for ebooks!

Had to go to APK Mirror for the Chrome browser. For some reason, I couldn't find it in the Play Store.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-30-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Had to go to APK Mirror for the Chrome browser. For some reason, I couldn't find it in the Play Store.
same here at first - i could not find chrome in the play store either, nor could i install what I already owned with my google/gmail account, - i would pull down the list of "my apps", tap one, and play store would close.
But after doing some other stuff - the play store started to work properly and chrome was listed under "my apps". I suspect there's some delay while the google framework stuff takes inventory in the background, or because my collection of apkmirror apks are not quite right and updates have to happen. Either that or it was that searching for and installing a couple of free google apps kickstarted whatever needed to happen.
I have chrome from play store running now and am signed into it.
[ at a guess, chrome has some special dependencies because it can offer the option to sign in with gmail - so all google account manager infrastructure needs to be up and running ]

The only thing I've never managed to install was gmail. I did not bother to try it this time around, but on previous amazon devices I could not get gmail to work. So I just add my gmail to the on board amazon email app, which works ok

i did notice that a 2nd system update happened - well I think so: I'd spent ages moving all the irrelevant on-board amazon apps into folders to get them out of the way, but when I opened the tablet the next day they were all back on the home screen. ( which happens when updates to apps are pushed)
So i stuffed them back into " junk" folders again and now they are staying there. I can shrink the home screen to 3 rows of useful stuff, by grouping and filing apps.

I also somehow managed to let google store overwrite the alexa app. I had to remove updates before amazon was able to overwrite it again and stop reporting it as sideloaded.
I know that for any app that you own in in both app stores it is good to disable auto updates. and be careful before agreeing to "update all" ( if you prefer a google version, just ignore the regular notifications from amazon store saying this app needs an update )
Old 11-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
stumped
Wizard

so for the record, I used these 4. ( from the hundreds of variants at apkmirror)

improvements welcome for future reference, if anyone want to add recommendations
( e.g. there's probably a newer option for step 3 that would work)
install
1. com.google.android.gsf.login_5.1-1743759-22_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com google account manager
2. com.google.android.gsf_5.1-1743759-22_minAPI22(nodpi)_apkmirror.com google service framework
you don't open those just install them

3. com.google.android.gms_10.2.98_(240-146496160)-10298240_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com google play services

4. last one. reboot after installing this one then open it...
com.android.vending_7.4.25.L-all_0_PR_145823605-80742500_minAPI14(240,320,480dpi)_apkmirror.com play store
Old 12-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I just googled "digital reader play store on fire", something like that. He has the instructions in a post.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #28
stumped
Wizard

yes there are several sets of instructions out there. some do things in a different order, or say to reboot after each install.
but there are several candidate generations of amazon devices to apply them to and solutions vary a little by generation ( i.e. by Fire OS versions), That's why I posted specifically what worked for my 2019 HD10.
A while back, someone here was desperate for ones for an 2018 Fire HD8 and all the ones " in the wild" seemed to be for earlier models
Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if they will improve the 8" Fire on the next release. I'd like one with the screen resolution and speed of the 10." My girls love it, but it's gigantic. Next time I can pry it away from them, I'll try watching a movie. The kindle app works great on it, it's just too big for my liking, for reading. My girls use it for drawing, which is the main reason I got it. They were using their phones, which are tiny. They just love the larger screen on the Fire.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #30
stumped
Wizard

try reading in landscape mode with 2 columns. that is how I use mine. size-wize its like an opened book
kindle app and moon reader app both have a 2 column mode

I doubt they can boost the specs of the HD8 AND keep the ultra-low price. I was looking enviously at the Huawei M3, M5 8 inch tablets in the sales. Great specs but 3 x the price of an amazon HD8. But for that you do get full a HD screen in a lightweight 8 in form