Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
BishopLuc
BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.BishopLuc calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Unhappy Good Idea to Get Kindle Oasis 2?

I'm VERY eager to get a Kindle Oasis 2 but worried about the battery. Considering that it's been more than a year since it was released, should I hold on to my 25% trade-in discount until May 31, 2019 (the expiration of the discount) for a new Oasis with better battery or is the KO 2's battery not as bad as people say it is?
BishopLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
It's kind of a subjective question. It really comes down to how long you need the battery to last between charges. It definitely does not last also long as the battery on the Paperwhite, but it is not like you need to charge it every couple of hours either. I read about 2/2.5 hours a day and it is down to between 40 and 50% after 4-5 days. On the other hand, the Oasis 2 recharges much faster than other Kindles. It usually only takes 30 min to recharge from 50%. For me, that is not such a bad trade off, since my Paperwhite and Voyage take about 3 hours to recharge.

Here are the pluses to the Oasis 2 over the Voyage (And I used to truly loves my Voyage before I got my Oasis 2): Bigger screen, option to invert the colors for night reading, physical buttons, waterproof, faster charging, Bluetooth. On the down side, it is more expensive, heavier, thicker (on one side; thinner on the other), less battery power.

Last edited by Avwriter; 03-05-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't think there's an oasis 3 coming by May 31 when your 25% discount expires.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLuc View Post
I'm VERY eager to get a Kindle Oasis 2 but worried about the battery. Considering that it's been more than a year since it was released, should I hold on to my 25% trade-in discount until May 31, 2019 (the expiration of the discount) for a new Oasis with better battery or is the KO 2's battery not as bad as people say it is?
The battery life is what Amazon advertise it to be. Whether or not you consider that to be "bad" is for you to decide. Personally I have no issues whatsoever with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLuc View Post
My guess is that there will be a new premium Kindle this year, but I don't think we'll see it until September.

I'd buy the Oasis 2, and count myself lucky.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
maximus83
Nameless Being

If I understand your OP, you have a Voyage already, correct? If so, I'd suggest keeping that and waiting to see if Amazon comes out with something better in the fall. It doesn't hurt to have a second ereader device, or you can always re-sell your Voyage later--they remain popular. Personally having tried one, I think the Oasis is a nice device but is not going to give you a night-vs-day improved reading experience over your Voyage. In fact, it may not be better at all. I actually like my new 32GB PW4 *much* better than the Oasis 2 I just tried. And as you've guessed, while the battery life is not bad and not less than Amazon promises in their ads, it *is* most definitely lower than that of your Voyage, as well as some other popular devices I've tried recently such as Kobo Clara, Kobo Forma, and PW4. It's perfectly adequate if you set your expectations accordingly, but it's also true you can do better, and you already have better.

If it were me, I'd enjoy using your Voyage, hang onto it and keep reading, and see if Amazon comes out with something that is really a nice step up this fall. Heck that's only 6 months away. And if you aren't impressed with their new offering by then, there'll probably be a plethora of other choices, including new e-ink devices, new Android e-ink tablets, new Android tablets, etc.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I think the Oasis is a nice device but is not going to give you a night-vs-day improved reading experience over your Voyage.
I must beg to differ. I too went from the Voyage to the Oasis, and for me personally the larger screen made a tremendous difference. Going from 6” to 7” doesn’t sound like much of a change, but I found it made a huge improvement. I’d suggest that the OP buys an Oasis and tries it for himself. Amazon have a generous return policy should it turn out not to be to his liking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
For me, the battery life has been a non-issue. I usually charge my Oasis once a week when I sideload new books, and it's never lower than 80%. Granted, I only read on my Oasis for about an hour or so a day before bed, but even when I read for longer stretches, I've not seen any excessive battery drain.

I would say go for it! Assuming you're in the US, your 25% discount on a baseline 8GB Oasis will save you $62.50, which is terrific. I love the larger screen size, the buttons, and the ability to invert text to white on black. It's my favorite Kindle ever and I've owned almost every model since the Kindle Keyboard.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I really like my Oasis 2 and the battery life is only a relatively minor nuisance. The best part, to me, is the form factor and the page buttons. They make my reading experience much easier. Now, with that being said, I'm going to be traveling abroad in May, so we'll see if battery life becomes more of an issue then (especially on the 12 hour plane ride...).
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have had the Paperwhites, and a Voyage and now the Oasis 2. What I like best about the Oasis over the Voyage is the size of the screen, followed by the Bluetooth. But far and wide it is the screen size that made me trade in my Voyage for the Oasis 2.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
The battery life is not an issue at all for me. I probably charge my KO2 every 1.5 weeks, maybe? Not enough to get fussy about it.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I would try the Oasis 2 before you give up your Voyage. Many have said they wished they kept the Voyage also. I have both and now have 3 Voyages 2 as back ups. If your preference is just a larger screen. It's the Oasis 2. If not and your reading light level is above the recommended 10, you will most likely be charging more often than any other kindle. If charging often is ok then go with the Oasis 2. I keep mine at home and use the Voyage when travelling or out. I do use the Oasis more in the warmer months outside. I don't need the light outside and it's water proof so good near water in summer.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I’ve never used or even held a Voyage, so I can’t comment on a comparison. However, if you like a larger or heavier font, try the Oasis. The extra size really does make a difference for larger fonts. The battery has never been an issue for me, and I read for hours on end. As others have noted, the quick charge makes up for fewer hours. Try one, and return it if it’s not to your liking.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
In terms of battery life you have to plug it in regularly. For travel your life will be easier when you have an ereader and a smartphone if you buy a battery that you can use to recharge devices when you are away from home no matter which ereader and smartphone you have.

When it comes to reading the Oasis 2 is pretty close to ideal, although the latest PW is pretty close to perfedt.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #15
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
Battery life has never been an issue for me.

The only people who seem to notice differences in battery life in various eInk readers are people who have many hours to read every day almost every day.

The time I read the most is vacation. I can still probably get through a 2 week vacation without having to charge the Oasis 2. I don't get to take 2 week vacations very often either. Certainly a 1 week vacation I will never wear the battery out and I might not even take a charger.

Otherwise I'm at work, have family obligations. If I get to read an hour a day I'm doing pretty good. I can go a month between charges, I couldn't even say how often it really has to be charged. It all depends on how good the book is I'm reading too of course.

It is nothing like an iPad or smartphone where you are constantly thinking about the battery and making a checklist to take a charger or external battery with you everywhere you go.

The big screen is great on the Oasis 2 and the lighting is great on it too although the Voyage light is also great. Having owned a Voyage prior the only thing that is really a killer advantage with the Voyage is it is REALLY small and it's shape means it fits in a big percentage of pockets. The Voyage will fit in the back pocket of men's jeans. It'll fit in a pocket in pretty much every jacket or coat I own. The Oasis fits in some of my jacket pockets, not all of them, and won't fit in any pants pockets. If you carry your reader around all the time and don't carry a bag the Voyage might win.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle oasis