Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
August 2016 Discussion: The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the August 2016 MobileRead Book Club selection, The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. What did you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Day of the Jackal is the best thriller I've ever read. And what I think is extraordinary about it is that the reader is certain how it will end before he ever picks up the book!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I read this book a year ago, and I was majorly disappointed. But it must have looked ground-breaking back in the day. The ending was to be expected, of course. I still wish the titular character to have some level of show of intelligence and maybe a level of success, in his mission. Having said that, I don't remember this well enough to extrapolate more.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm not quite finished yet, but I'm totally and completely enthralled and enjoying it. Even though I know what doesn't happen, I'm still on the edge of my seat.

I think what I enjoy the most about this book is the compelling detail. Masterfully written. I look forward to finishing it. And I'll have more to say then.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And now that I've finished it, my opinion hasn't changed a bit.

I really enjoyed this book. The opening plot on de Gaulle's life is based on historical fact, and the many details around the OAS and French security forces read as both believable and accurate to this monoglot, English-speaking Canadian. And what makes this book so compelling for me is that level of detail. I was totally engrossed and sucked in, and was never quite sure as I was reading it exactly how much was based on historical fact, and how much completely made up. There were at least 6 attempts on de Gaulle's life, of which the opening scene of this book was the most serious, and the one that came closest to succeeding. But the plot with a paid assassin described in the book is fiction. But I could well believe it to have been true. My thanks to din155 for this nomination!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Unfortunately I wasn't able to re-read this one this month, too busy with work and life in general which will also keep me from reading the September selection, but I did enjoy it when I read it last year.

It is interesting that this Jackal is the basis for the real Carlos the Jackal who got his name because a copy of The Day of the Jackal was spotted "near some of [his] belongings." Such a tenuous relationship but the name stuck. Obviously this book had a very large impact on society in the few short years after it had been released for this to occur.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I think The Day of The Jackal is for people who don't read many thrillers, and who swear by classics in general. Either that or some fans have nostalgic reasons for loving the book. The Day of The Jackal is dated, although having been groundbreaking in its day, is still well known.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I recently read it and really enjoyed it. It has been on my TBR list for a while and I coincidentally chose it just before it was nominated here. The police procedural part was well done and I liked the transfer of the case from character to character. So many novels have only one "hero" solve an important case which is implausible. And even though I knew the outcome if the story followed history, part of me wanted de Gaulle to receive at least a scratch from the Jackal's efforts - de Gaulle was kind of a sh*t-disturber in Canadian history.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Vive le Quebec libre!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The opening plot on de Gaulle's life is based on historical fact, and the many details around the OAS and French security forces read as both believable and accurate to this monoglot, English-speaking Canadian. And what makes this book so compelling for me is that level of detail. I was totally engrossed and sucked in, and was never quite sure as I was reading it exactly how much was based on historical fact, and how much completely made up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The police procedural part was well done and I liked the transfer of the case from character to character. So many novels have only one "hero" solve an important case which is implausible.
I really enjoyed this book for these main reasons as well. It was a page-turner for me even if I did expect the outcome. I think it held up to the test of time to still be a captivating read. I thought it was refreshing to read a thriller based on past historical events that wasn't the typical WW2 or Cold War setting. I've always loved thrillers, but I'm also getting a little tired of various contemporary series re-hashing the same current events and being subtle variants of the same themes with the same types of heroes. I didn't know much about this period of French history and found that interesting as well.

From what I investigated about the author, he's known for his detailed technical style based on factual research, which must be an application of his skills acquired as a journalist. I felt it was more in the category of a "smart" thriller than simple "mind-candy" fun. I like to read both types depending on my mood. I'm definitely interested to read more of his books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I did not read this for this discussion. I did read it years ago and at the time found it very suspenseful. Of course with such books that can only happen on the first read.

It's sort of off topic, but the whole history of the of how Algeria became independent if fascinating. Not only were the 'native' Algerians split on the issue of independence, but a large contingent of European-Algerians (Pieds-noirs, Albert Camus was one) that had lived there a long time with some even born there felt betrayed by France and de Gaulle. Hence the OAS. Anyway to get to a point . ..

Those who have never seen The Battle of Algiers, a fictional film about the last stages of the independence fight, should consider it. It seems entirely real.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I really enjoyed this book for these main reasons as well. It was a page-turner for me even if I did expect the outcome. I think it held up to the test of time to still be a captivating read. I thought it was refreshing to read a thriller based on past historical events that wasn't the typical WW2 or Cold War setting. I've always loved thrillers, but I'm also getting a little tired of various contemporary series re-hashing the same current events and being subtle variants of the same themes with the same types of heroes. I didn't know much about this period of French history and found that interesting as well.

From what I investigated about the author, he's known for his detailed technical style based on factual research, which must be an application of his skills acquired as a journalist. I felt it was more in the category of a "smart" thriller than simple "mind-candy" fun. I like to read both types depending on my mood. I'm definitely interested to read more of his books.
That was what I liked best about the book as well - the description of the tradecraft;you feel that you are getting the real inside information. Some of his later books, like The Dogs of War were like that as well. As a journalist and self-confessed spy, he would have been on the inside track.

I first read this book back in 1972. On the re-read it was still entertaining; a great way to spend a summer day by the river reading in the shade.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I am glad we chose this book. Even though I had seen the movie before, I could not remember anything from it. It seems we are on a theme with France and Algerian war. We had Police of chief Bruno before and now the day of the jackal. I agree with others that the details in the book made the events almost believable. Its been long time since I have rooted for the villain and I was hoping for some success for the Jackal .
As with other enjoyable books my only complaint was that it ended too soon.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote