Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
evillink81
evillink81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3W)
Question WiFi with no Internet access

Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot of threads on this issue for the past two or three days, but I'm still unable to connect my Kindle Keyboard K3W to a router that has no Internet connection.

I have a Jailbreak + usbNetwork K3W 3.4 and using an old Lynksys WRK54G for a project. But the Kindle refuses to connect to my AP on a open network with static ip.

I've tried setting up a DNS server and a Web Server on a Win7 PC with the appropriate spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com redirection and the /kindle-wifi/wifistub.html website, both my PC and Android phone can use the PC IP address as the DNS and get the wifistub.html from my server but not the Kindle.

I also tried modifying the /etc/hosts file on the Kindle to point the spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com to the local device and started httpd from busybox with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated
evillink81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What entries do you see in the LinkSys router log when you try to connect with the Kindle?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
evillink81

Hello knc1, I'll have to install a log viewer cause it's an old Linksys and I don't have the CD that came with it, as soon as I do it, i'll post the results.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@evillink81: Take a look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
evillink81

@hfpop: Thank you for the link, but I'm currently using a Kindle 3 (Keyboard) and the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE doesn't seem to work either, I've created it both by using a Windows machine (file with no extension) as well as directly via touch on a PuTTY terminal.

@knc1: I downloaded Kiwi's syslog daemon but all I see in the log files is an entry whenever I make a change to the routers configuration, nothing else is being sent.
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
On the wrt you can just log in as the router's admin, can't that be done on the wrk ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
evillink81

The WRK is the ugly duckling of the Linksys family (I got for free along with 128MiB of RAM and a Rio One MP3 player when I bought Windows XP) I can log as an admin and configure the router to send out log information to a specific IP address, but even after installing the logging software I don’t see any messages when a new devices gets an IP or makes a web request.

I will try to get another router to test out, but the thing is… Should my set up work? I have a MaraDNS server and IIS web server on a PC with static IP address (192.168.1.100), this is the configuration file for DNS:

marac file

Code:
ipv4_bind_addresses = "192.168.1.100"
timestamp_type = 2
random_seed_file = "secret.txt"
csv2 = {}
csv2["amazonaws.com."] = "db.amazonaws.txt"
db.amazonaws.txt file

Code:
spectrum.s3.%	192.168.1.100 ~
On the IIS side I have C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\kindle-wifi\wifistub.html, if I navigate to spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com on any device I will get the IIS welcome page, if i go to spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-wifi/wifistub.html I get the 81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a GUI as expected.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
fulltlt
fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fulltlt knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle3
After searching high and low for an answer to this same problem I was having with my Kindle 3 I have solved the problem.

The problem is that to establish a wifi connection the Kindle3 does a probe of
http://spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com/kin.../wifistub.html
and expects to get back:
81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a

If it doesn't it won't let the kindle3 connect to the wifi you're trying to connect to.

Here's how to solve the problem.

Jailbreak the Kindle3
Establish an ssh session to the kindle3
Go to this directory on the Kindle3: /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/pmond/wifid/

Modify this file: start_cmd

Change this line: /usr/sbin/wifid -f

To this: /usr/sbin/wifid -f -n
and save the file.

Restart your Kindle3 and try connecting to your local wifi router that is set up for local access only.

It worked for me. I thought I would share this since I couldn't find it clearly laid out anywhere else.
fulltlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #9
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
After searching high and low for an answer to this same problem I was having with my Kindle 3 I have solved the problem.
<snip>
It worked for me. I thought I would share this since I couldn't find it clearly laid out anywhere else.
I like it. I don't have a K3 but thanks for the solution - I bet it was fun trying to figure out!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
axm
axm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Tested, thanks.

The first time though I used "reboot" via usbnetwork ssh to reboot - which might not have been a good idea (was the start of a bricking downward spiral). Rebooting via switch power and hold (>= 1 minute or so) worked.
axm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
@axm

did you try the WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE before doing all the things this guy did?

From what I remember, you have to do a reboot after putting the file on the kindle, and a lot of people didn't know that - the file is only read on system bootup.

If everything is working for you that is good, just wanted to check for future people.

Last edited by coplate; 10-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
parkerlreed
parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I have a K4NT. The WIFI NO PROBE did not work.

I tried the method from #8 and when the Kindle starts now it won't connect to any WiFi at all. Trying to go to the WiFi menu just freezes right beforehand.

Latest firmware with jailbreak.
parkerlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
parkerlreed
parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'parkerlreed knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Note to future readers: the start_cmd is VERY crappily parsed. I was missing a space after the -n thus causing all that hassle.
parkerlreed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dns, wifi problems