Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you try a different cable, different USB port, different computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast
NonSkidSurface began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T/X, Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you try a different cable, different USB port, different computer?
Thanks. I just now tried it with a different cable and on a Win 10 laptop with the same bad results.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
NonSkidSurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSkidSurface View Post
Thanks. I just now tried it with a different cable and on a Win 10 laptop with the same bad results.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have another idea. Delete the folders and files with the garbage names.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

I was reluctant to delete folders, although I would try it with an older device. I exchanged it for a new one today. All the folders in the new Nook are proper, and just like what I see in my other Nooks. At one time I wondered if Calibre did something to corrupt the Nook folders, but I just added 60 ebooks via Calibre and all is fine. I am not technically savvy about this stuff, but I wonder how the bad Nook managed to work just fine. I wouldn't have known there was trouble except that I tried to put pictures into a particular folder that wasn't there. Thanks to all again. And maybe new Nook owners should check it as a USB drive and see what the folders look like.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #20
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Be careful not to disconnect the NOOK from the computer too quickly after side-loading books. My Windows PC will show a pop-up message that it is safe to disconnect the device, but both NOOK and Kobo devices do take a little time to finish copying the files. Pull the plug too soon and you will corrupt the database.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #21
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Glad to hear the exchange went well and that the new one is working. Hope it has a long life :-)
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #22
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Glad to hear the exchange went well and that the new one is working. Hope it has a long life :-)
What a great forum! You guys are very supportive with suggestions and answers. I'll monitor the forum more often in case I can offer input.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #23
jguneysu
kitaphanımı
jguneysu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Generation
Disconnecting and ScreenSavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Be careful not to disconnect the NOOK from the computer too quickly after side-loading books. My Windows PC will show a pop-up message that it is safe to disconnect the device, but both NOOK and Kobo devices do take a little time to finish copying the files. Pull the plug too soon and you will corrupt the database.
Maybe too late to comment, but...

Yes, be careful disconnecting your Nook when using Calibre. I found that you need to go to Windows Explorer, select the Nook and "eject". Then go back to Calibre and eject through the Device icon. I had problems when I did it the other way around.

Also, I don't think you can load your own screensaver file on the Nook Glowlight. You could on the original Nook, but, I could not find a way to do it on my Glowlight. I think if you root the device you might be able to.
jguneysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #24
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguneysu View Post
Also, I don't think you can load your own screensaver file on the Nook Glowlight. You could on the original Nook, but, I could not find a way to do it on my Glowlight. I think if you root the device you might be able to.
Yes if you root you can set your own screensaver. I was able to set up my GL3 so that when I open a book using Calibre Companion it sets the book cover as the screensaver.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #25
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

About rooting - I would do it for several reasons, but I thought one had to have a card slot in order to root it. My Glowlight 3 doesn't have a card slot. Is there some way to (easily) root it?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Instructions for rooting GL3
https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...ght-3-t3802331
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #27
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

Thank you! I'll give it a try. It will be a few days before I can get started on it, though.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #28
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook firmware is garbage and you'll need to root to do anything with it.
No its not. Nook is just fine
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSkidSurface View Post
Thank you! I'll give it a try. It will be a few days before I can get started on it, though.
Did you ever get your Glowlight 3 sorted? It's way too late to be of any help I guess. But here is a screenshot of what I see in Windows Explorer when I plug in my Glowlight 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Explorer - Glowlight 3.png
Views:	277
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	178647  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #30
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have a rooted Nook GL3. I have to use adb to access a lot of folders on the Nook (like koreader). But you should be able to dump books in without resorting to that and just using windows.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote