Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #271
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course many people (myself included) buy new ereaders from pure gadget lust, not because their existing device needs upgrading.
Raises hand. I just really like eReaders.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #272
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course many people (myself included) buy new ereaders from pure gadget lust, not because their existing device needs upgrading.
I resemble that remark.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 01:03 AM   #273
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What is the actual number of pixels does it have horizontal and vertical? If you don't know please measure the screen in inches and we can calculate at 300 ppi. The diagonal is 6.8" but the ratio is not stated.
A screenshot would be the best way to get an exact pixel count.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:12 AM   #274
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I've seen one report on Reddit claiming 1246 x 1648 as the resolution of a screen shot. Using that and 300 DPI, I came up with a display diagonal of 6.887".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:25 AM   #275
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen one report on Reddit claiming 1246 x 1648 as the resolution of a screen shot. Using that and 300 DPI, I came up with a display diagonal of 6.887".
That would be the first kindle since the DX to not have an exact 3:4 aspect ratio.
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #276
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It also appears to be MUCH faster (good e-reader video review).
I noticed that too! The speed of the new Paperwhite is very impressive.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #277
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There was a review that posted the pixel sizes. They are a little different than Oasis IIRC.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #278
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There was a review that posted the pixel sizes. They are a little different than Oasis IIRC.
That makes sense since 6.8" is a little different from 7". I'm not going to hunt down an unreferenced review, but amazon hase always used screen sizes and resolutions that allow the specs to be precise and accurate once they went to 300 dpi, so I'll just do the calculations and predict 1224 x 1632. But 1246 x 1648 isn't out of the running. I couldn't find any kobo models with 6.8" screens and 300 dpi, so no clues there.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #279
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That makes sense since 6.8" is a little different from 7". I'm not going to hunt down an unreferenced review, but amazon hase always used screen sizes and resolutions that allow the specs to be precise and accurate once they went to 300 dpi, so I'll just do the calculations and predict 1224 x 1632. But 1246 x 1648 isn't out of the running. I couldn't find any kobo models with 6.8" screens and 300 dpi, so no clues there.
Doesn't 1246 seem a little odd, not divisible by 4 or 8?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #280
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
For what it's worth, by using the mark 1 eyeball, the Kobo Sage has a noticeably better screen (contrast and sharpness) than an Oasis 3. This is comparing one of each so given the variation in eInk's screens, I'm not going to generalize to saying that all Sages have better screens.
No they don't. My Sage is awful. It's a yellow screen and its going back.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #281
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't 1246 seem a little odd, not divisible by 4 or 8?
Yes, particulatrly for amazon. The DX(G) uses 824 x 1200, but other 9.7" readers used 825 x 1200, so e-ink readers have been released with screen widths that aren't even, much less a multiple of 4 or 8. (completely odd, not just a little)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #282
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The speed of the new Paperwhite is very impressive.
agreed. i'd have bought one if they'd stuck to the 6 inch screen.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #283
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
agreed. i'd have bought one if they'd stuck to the 6 inch screen.
There's still too many unappealing things about the Kindle for me to buy one. But I will give them credit
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #284
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
A good way would be to measure the exact machine screen dimensions as a starting point. A screen shot might not be scaled properly.

Thanks for taking on the task.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #285
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A good way would be to measure the exact machine screen dimensions as a starting point. A screen shot might not be scaled properly.
Measuring the exact machine screen dimensions would be exceedingly difficullt for most people.

With the exveption of DX models, all kindles have been 3:4, and I have never heard of e-ink ereader screens whose pixels weren't square.

You sked for pixel count. There are devices in the wild and kindle screenshots are dinfinitive and are nearly trivial to make.

Quote:
Thanks for taking on the task.
I don't have the device and wouldn't be able to make a measurement if I did have one.