Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #241
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Denies the manufacturer's claim without evidence. Denies the value of the scientific method. Avoids responding to arguments with reason. Condescends with eye-roll.

You fit right in on social media!
Scientific methods and manufacturer's claims are fine, but in real-life use personal experience is what counts. If the numbers on a paper say that the new screen is 15% better than the old screen, but that's not what my eyes actually see, those numbers don't matter a whit to me.

The overwhelming majority of actual Voyage owners have said that they've never seen another screen with such sharpness and contrast. If you want to ignore this and rather believe those numbers on the paper, you're of course free to do so. But to say that the practically unanimous opinion of all the posters here who have used the device in real life is nothing more than "woo-woo" and a bias, is just arrogance.

The Voyage was not any kind of a "dream device" for me; but I cannot argue with what my eyes saw when I compared it to the other devices. Its screen was sharper and more contrasty. I wish the Oasis had as sharp a screen, as I far prefer it to the Voyage, but it just doesn't. If I had a bias, it would be for the Oasis, not the Voyage.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-26-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #242
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Denies the manufacturer's claim without evidence. Denies the value of the scientific method. Avoids responding to arguments with reason. Condescends with eye-roll.

You fit right in on social media!
Calm down Beyonce...

Where is the evidence or the scientific value that served your first message insulting many that started this exchange?

Quote:
It's wild how often some of y'all reference and discuss the contrast of the Voyage. It's gotta be a kind of mobileread folklore talking point. The mobileread Voyage cult. I would bet money the difference isn't as big as it's portrayed to be.

You should first respect the standards you demand from me before comparing me to some internet junk.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #243
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Looks like the review embargo has lifted, I've seen several reviews pop up today.

Reviews:
https://www.engadget.com/amazon-kind...0.html?src=rss
https://gizmodo.com/the-new-kindle-p...-re-1847863029
https://www.theverge.com/22745670/am...e-reader-books

Picture comparison with the 2018 PW:
https://gigazine.net/gsc_news/en/202...te-comparison/

Hopefully there will be one with a direct comparison of the Voyage so we can compare screen contrast in a picture at least.

Edit: I'm not going to post this in a new comment since this is apparently a controversial thing, but initial reports are that the PW2021 still doesn't have quite as nice of a screen as the Voyage although it's closer. I compared my Voyage with my PW4 and notice a difference, although I wouldn't describe it in as stark of terms as others have.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...ade_my_voyage/

Last edited by Dazrin; 10-28-2021 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added another link.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #244
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the last link with the comparison.
I see no change in contrast but the new Paperwhite seems to have the speed of the Oasis which is great!

I think that's not enough for me and I'm tempted to cancel my preorder and wait for an eventual Oasis upgrade next year.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #245
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Let’s have an end to the spat, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #246
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I’m one of those people that likes to buy whatever latest and greatest ereader comes along, but I generally prefer Kobos. I currently do most of my reading at home, and almost invariably on a Kobo Forma, so I was naturally interested in the new Kobo Sage but, for me, I think it would be one step forward and two steps back so I’ve decided to order the new Paperwhite Signature Edition as this year’s shiny new object.

I don’t expect it to replace my Formas in any way but it looks interesting and it will be relatively inexpensive, given that I can do a trade-in with a last-generation Paperwhite. I don’t know exactly in what order the discounts and credit are applied but if I get the maximum thirty dollar trade-in value, plus the twenty percent discount plus the five percent on my Amazon Visa it shouldn’t be too much over a hundred dollars (not counting however many cases I decide I need ).

When I bought my last Paperwhite I loaded all of my books onto it, thinking it would provide additional backup, make it possible to travel with any book I might possibly want to read, and let me do global searches on my whole library. As it turned out, the Paperwhite was totally incapable of doing a global search on several thousand books without crashing, so I’m really curious to see if the increase in processing power makes a difference.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #247
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
As it turned out, the Paperwhite was totally incapable of doing a global search on several thousand books without crashing, so I’m really curious to see if the increase in processing power makes a difference.
The Oasis 3 has the same processor as the new PW. I have about 3,500 books currently loaded on mine and it's perfectly capable of doing a global search without crashing.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #248
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis 3 has the same processor as the new PW. I have about 3,500 books currently loaded on mine and it's perfectly capable of doing a global search without crashing.
Good to know. Our library has somehow grown to almost eight thousand books so we'll see how the PW does with it. I can always leave off my husband's books if necessary.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #249
Almamida
Guru

Just cancelled my PW Signature bundle with the cork cover and wireless charging stand to just order the PW Signature alone. I'm not sure I'll keep the device, and if I do, I'll probably don't need a cover for the next month. I might buy a sleeve instead.
Now I'm supposed to receive it tomorrow instead of Friday
Old 10-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #250
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Based on my experience with PW4, I see no need for a cover, and still less for a wireless charging stand that works with exactly one device (my $20 Anker charging pad works with any Qi compatible device).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #251
Almamida
Guru

Totally, I realize I prefer to use and hold my readers without the added cover or case. Unless the cover case snap off easily (magnetic) I don't want to bother having to remove and put back an expensive cover. And for the wireless charger, if the kindle has the great autonomy announced, I won't care to plug it once in a while.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #252
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Looks like the review embargo has lifted, I've seen several reviews pop up today.

Reviews:
https://www.engadget.com/amazon-kind...0.html?src=rss
https://gizmodo.com/the-new-kindle-p...-re-1847863029
https://www.theverge.com/22745670/am...e-reader-books

Picture comparison with the 2018 PW:
https://gigazine.net/gsc_news/en/202...te-comparison/

Hopefully there will be one with a direct comparison of the Voyage so we can compare screen contrast in a picture at least.
The first review is definite ad-type and I enjoyed the comments in the article.
I wish the second article had chosen different font because the pictures make the screen clarify look awful - it's very likely just his lighting and the text he used (Gizmodo)

The Verge seems to have a pretty honest review also. To me his points on the reduced bezels may be a bit awkward, but I'm not used to the paperwhite anymore so it probably wouldn't bother those who are as much.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 10-27-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:30 PM   #253
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Thank you for the last link with the comparison.
I see no change in contrast but the new Paperwhite seems to have the speed of the Oasis which is great!

I think that's not enough for me and I'm tempted to cancel my preorder and wait for an eventual Oasis upgrade next year.
I was curious on this also. All three of the reviews mentioned the lighting, and the speed (which is great), but not much mention of clarity opinions that I saw. I'd be curious if it were laid beside the Oasis 3, Voyage, or Paperwhite 3 as well. The pictures make it look like the Pw4 screen to me, a bit blurry/soft, but it's hard to tell.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #254
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I see more videos are coming out

Here are some pics in comparison on reddit (quoted by another poster in another thread)
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...otos_with_old/
Old 10-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #255
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I see more videos are coming out

Here are some pics in comparison on reddit (quoted by another poster in another thread)
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...otos_with_old/
With the warm light turned on for the new one. Not going to tell us much about the screen differences.

My default assumption is that they are about the same, but will be pleasantly surprised if the new one is better.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-27-2021 at 09:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote