Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #181
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the nook is the firmware. It's rubbish.
I wouldn't want the 7.8" Nook Glowlight Plus because of its size, but (in my opinion) there is no better warm light screen than the one on the Nook Glowlight 3. It's going to be seeing a lot more my Overdrive loan books now that the Calibre DeASCM plugin has been released.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #182
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I think so, as well. Wireless charging is cool though, but not cool enough to warrant an additional $50.
You also get the extra memory (32 GBs), the auto-sensing light and no adds. So, all together, it might be worth it for some folks.
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #183
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Our Jon (Wolfie) is a bit pesky in his beliefs. :-) We luv him anyway, but Jon's beliefs are pretty much written in stone for him.
I've never quite understood the "my way or the highway" attitude. I like choice and options.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #184
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Both are fantastic with Raisins stirred in. (something to add FLAVOR )
I make an orange and vanilla rice pudding using Arborio rice, ornage juice and orange zest. It is very creamy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I wouldn't want the 7.8" Nook Glowlight Plus because of its size, but (in my opinion) there is no better warm light screen than the one on the Nook Glowlight 3. It's going to be seeing a lot more my Overdrive loan books now that the Calibre DeASCM plugin has been released.
I'm not saying the hardware is rubbish. But it is crippled with rubbish firmware.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #186
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not saying the hardware is rubbish. But it is crippled with rubbish firmware.
I know how you feel about the Nook's firmware. I (personally) don't think the software is that bad. And I like the Nook (Home) button. I also like the Page Turn buttons. I've never had the issue of books not showing up in the Nook (but I only move one or two books over at a time and I wait until they show up on the reader before disconnecting the USB cable).

It does have an issue with too few font size selections and the inability to add custom fonts, but that can be cured with Calibre and embedding the font I want or (which I do more) using Georgia with its thicker setting.

But, honestly, the "star of the show" with the Nook Glowlight 3 is its screen. That makes it worth it for me. I also like its bigger bezels. I like my PocketBook HD3 a lot (renders fonts very well and header and footer can be turned off completely) but I honestly wish the PocketBook had kept the older style design. They were bigger but easier to hold. Sometimes smaller isn't always better. (Of course the case makes a big difference. I like the Fintie Portfolio cases (even though they're bulkier) but they're not available for the HD3 — at least not in the U.S.)
Old 10-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #187
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Haven't gotten a nice ereader upgrade for several years, as I've been reading mostly on Ipad Mini or my large-screen phone. But decided this fall to splurge and do a side-by-side of the new PW5 and Kobo Libra 2, since I've often gone back and forth between both brands.

Several PW5 upgrades are appealing, esp USB C (my other Kindle was my last micro-USB device), improved battery life, and screen size. The rest of it doesn't matter much. With trade-in, I got the $30 gift card and 20% off the list price.

As for the Libra 2, I expect to prefer it ultimately vs the Kindle. I usually do prefer Kobo ereaders to their equivalent Amazon counterparts, when considering only the features of the reader. What always kept me coming back to Kindle was the bookstore selection and convenience of their platform. Also considered the Sage vs the Libra 2, but the Sage is a bit heavier as some have noted, and I didn't want to pay the weight tax and pay for extra features I don't care about, such as their stylus and software for taking notes on books (if I want to do that, I use my Ipad). For me, readers right around 7" and with physical buttons for one-handed reading, are almost the perfect ereader form factor as long as they aren't much over 7 oz.

The one new factor in the mix for me the last year or so, is Amazon's increasing use of business practices and ebook publishing practices that I consider abhorrent, including censorship. And their meddling with US politics. I'm looking for somebody--ANYbody--who can give a reasonable alternative to get permanently off their platform, and Kobo for me is the best candidate.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #188
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Can you develop the censorship / politic part concerning Amazon? I might have missed something
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #189
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know how you feel about the Nook's firmware. I (personally) don't think the software is that bad. And I like the Nook (Home) button. I also like the Page Turn buttons.
Yeah, I like the firmware too. I do wish you could add your own fonts (though really, I'd probably just stick with Georgia anyway) and I wish the database were accessible with Calibre. Then shelves and series could handled like they are on my Kobo.

I do like Nook's UI and the larger cover thumbnails.

Quote:
But, honestly, the "star of the show" with the Nook Glowlight 3 is its screen.
I agree, though I don't use the Glowlight 3 much. My partner snatched that and I only play with it when sideloading books on to it.

The amber light on the Glowlight 3 is MUCH better than the Clara offers. The Clara maxes out at a peach color. On the Glowlight 3 you get the same color at the midway point or so, but it keeps going into that amber light that sodium vapor lamps give.

I wish Kobo would work on their night lighting.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #190
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Can you develop the censorship / politic part concerning Amazon? I might have missed something
Anything more will belong in the Politics and Religion forum.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #191
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm pretty sure this is only being released now because I got an Oasis in August. *sigh*
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #192
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just ordered it for $87.00 with trade-in and discount. Arrival date is Dec. 7- Dec. 15.
I have a six-inch Basic which is perfect for slipping in my pocket when I go out to the park, but the 6.8 inch screen for me is the sweet spot in size vs. convenience and comfort. I only read fiction or popular science and history books.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #193
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Google Amazon censorship. Search is your friend.

Excellent timing and good reasons for me to consider switching entirely to Kobo device platform. Totally had it with A-zon throwing their weight around, but as noted, any political discussion is O.T. to thread.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #194
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
Google Amazon censorship. Search is your friend.

Excellent timing and good reasons for me to consider switching entirely to Kobo device platform. Totally had it with A-zon throwing their weight around, but as noted, any political discussion is O.T. to thread.
Your answer was not necessary. And apparently, you forgot to search the same for Kobo.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #195
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Id been dismissive of Amazon not using the new Carta 1200 screen in the PW5 because I anticipated the difference wouldnt be easily perceivable, but after seeing pictures of the screen of the Libra 2 compared to the original Libra, Im annoyed the new Paperwhite doesnt have it.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote