Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
David Drake has retired from writing.

David Drake has retired due to health reasons.

http://david-drake.com/2021/newslett...-the-last-one/

Quote:
. My health problems continue, whatever they are. I can’t concentrate enough to write a novel and I even had to give up my project with Ryan Asleben,
I have not noticed and fall off in his resent books, but I wish him a long life.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I subscribe to his email and you could tell that he was leading up to this. He has always been one of my favorite authors and I will miss not having new books of his to read. I do like to reread and will continue to enjoy his books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's too bad. I'm a big fan of his Hammer's Slammers series. I expect something similar with Weber will be coming not far off.

One of the downsides to getting older is that more and more of your old favorite authors stop writing, slow down a lot, or even die.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Death is only a temporary setback.

Some authors are more prolific in death than alive - like some musicians.*

* Jimi Hendrix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Death is only a temporary setback.

Some authors are more prolific in death than alive - like some musicians.*

* Jimi Hendrix
V. C. Andrews for an example of a writer who has been far more prolific in death than in life.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
V. C. Andrews for an example of a writer who has been far more prolific in death than in life.

With the help of one of her 'buddies': Andrew Neiderman.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Major bummer! One of my favorite authors. I've reread many of his books.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:08 AM   #8
Nonya
Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD
Sad, but an eventuality all writers face.
But Dave Drake was hell of a prolific writer and I've enjoyed his works over the years.
Sometimes they'll take on an protégé to carry on the torch like the Deathlands series authors who themselves wrote under a publisher name of "James Axler" and that torch has been passed on to others who are carrying on the work.
Robert Asprin also took on an understudy who is continuing his Myth series.
But sometimes it can go horribly, horribly wrong like with the Tom Clancy brand's new books and Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Sad, but an eventuality all writers face.
But Dave Drake was hell of a prolific writer and I've enjoyed his works over the years.
Sometimes they'll take on an protégé to carry on the torch like the Deathlands series authors who themselves wrote under a publisher name of "James Axler" and that torch has been passed on to others who are carrying on the work.
Robert Asprin also took on an understudy who is continuing his Myth series.
But sometimes it can go horribly, horribly wrong like with the Tom Clancy brand's new books and Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel.
I like both Clancy and Reacher series and believe they are in good hands. Same with Dune.

I'm saddened about Drake
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Nonya
Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I like both Clancy and Reacher series and believe they are in good hands. Same with Dune.
While that's debatable, at least they're carrying on with new releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'm saddened about Drake
I'm not. He's going to spend the remainder of his days in relative peace working out with his son in the gym.
May we all be so lucky.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
Nonya

FYI, David Drake reads any and all messages sent to him via the Contact form on his website.
I sent him a short thank you and he responded less than 24 hours later.
So feel free to send the man a kind "Thank You" via his website.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yes, he does. I sent him a note after I received his retirement email. I thanked him for all of the years of enjoyment I had gotten from his books. The next day I had a nice thank you from him.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote