Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
ThomasNT05
ThomasNT05 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 3
Jailbreak Troubleshooting

I was in the process of jail-breaking my Kindle Paperwhite 3 and I ran into a problem.

I installed the jailbreak and the screensaver hack successfully and I wanted to replace the Futura font with Helvetica and I proceeded to install it using the bin file, only thing being it did not work out and the update kindle option stayed grayed out.
So, I reset the PW3 without uninstalling the jailbreak and when I try to jailbreak it again, it says Jailbreak failed.

Is it the case that the jailbreak survived the reset, if not what must I do to jailbreak my device?
ThomasNT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The update kindle option should have been grayed out -
That is not used to install our packages any longer, use KUAL extension MrPI.

What firmware version are you running on your PW-3?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ThomasNT05: What do you mean by "reset"?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
ThomasNT05
ThomasNT05 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thanks a lot, knc1. I used the MRPI to install the framework and all is well now. I did not know about the grayed out button. I am on the jailbroken 5.6.5 now.

NiLuje, I mean reset to default settings using the menu.

Another doubt being, is there any way the UI font of the Kindle PW3 could be changed. I know about the text formatting font being replaced but can this be done for the UI as well?
ThomasNT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Do not reset after a jailbreak.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ThomasNT05: As was mentioned, bad, bad, bad idea.

If you have a backup of what was on the USB storage of your device post-JB, restore that, and restart your device.
If not, you're going to need to be more creative, and I'm going to need some sleep, so, more on that later.

As for changing the UI font, technically possible, a terrible idea in practice (see the Fonts Hack post for the gory details).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote