Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
emmabee
Connoisseur
emmabee doesn't litteremmabee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Owners Lending Library

I have Amazon Prime & I'm wondering whether it is worth getting an Amazon refurbished Kindle for the purposes of using the Kindle Owners lending Library. Normally I use Aldiko Premium on a Nexus 7. I use Calibre to strip all Kindle purchases so I can edit metadata & convert to epub. I have some questions for those who use the Kindle Owners Lending Library.
1. I know it is limited to borrowing one a month. But if you return it early can you borrow another or do you have to wait until the month is up?
2.Is there a way around being locked in to using the Kindle itself or is there a way around this so you can use the Kindle app on a tablet or PC?
3. Is there any way to read the lent book in Aldiko?

I'm in the UK using AmazonUK in case that makes a difference
emmabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. Wait until the month is up. BUT, it depends on when you borrowed the book. Borrow it on January 31, and you may return it and borrow another on February 1. Return that on the 2nd, and you will have to wait until March 1 to borrow another.
  2. Once you have checked out the book, you may be able to access it on Kindle apps as well. I am not sure.
  3. Not without stripping the DRM. Do not do this, it is not your book. That would be theft.
    Just read it in an authorized app/device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, once you borrow it from a Kindle, you can't use it on an app.

There is no (legal) way to do what you want.

You do realize that the lending library does not have any books from the big 5 publishers, don't you?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Is there a way to search only the lending library from the e-ink kindle? I see I can browse the lending library, but when I use search, it searches the whole store.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not that I know of, and I've tried.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The books in the KOLL only cost 2 or 3 dollars each, typically. You do the math for a years worth, then see if a used Kindle is worth it to you.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:25 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't even get 1 a month cant find any thing I like so I say NOPE!

Suggest you spend the money Buying books you really want
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote