Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
StanH
StanH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v2
How can I save my highlights to text file?

How can I save my highlights and notes to an editable text file on my PC?

I sync a Kindle Paperwhite, a Kindle Android app, and a Kindle PC app on XP and Win7.

I have located the notes and highlights on all three types of readers:
1) Kindle Paperwhite: Go To, Notes tab.
2) Android app: Menu, My notes & Marks.
3) PC app: View, Show Notes & Marks.

Q1) How can I save that list to a text file on my PC?

Q2) How do highlights get from one reader to another? (Some recent highlights don't seem to cross between readers or else they are slow to do so.)

I have Kindle Paperwhite v2, WiFi only.
StanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are all stored in a file called "My Clippings.txt" in the "documents" folder on your Kindle. Simply connect your Kindle to your PC with the USB cable and copy the file from the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Of course, the notes from your Android device and PC app won't be in "My Clippings". You'd have to go to kindle.amazon.com to see them all.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
StanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Of course, the notes from your Android device and PC app won't be in "My Clippings". You'd have to go to kindle.amazon.com to see them all.
Thanks Susan,

I can get to Amazon "manage your Kindle", but I don't see any links to the notes/highlight file. Where might it be?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Notes and Highlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanH View Post
Thanks Susan,

I can get to Amazon "manage your Kindle", but I don't see any links to the notes/highlight file. Where might it be?
ALL Notes and Highlights are stored here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
StanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I can see them all on Amazon, and also it seems that if I create highlights on my Android or PC app they do show up as highlights in the other two devices. The just won't go to the "My Clippings" file on the Kindle.

Q1) Am I correct?

I originally thought that Amazon might contain a composite of highlights from all my devices that I could copy and edit. They seem to have them all, but not the entire highlight, and contain only the location and not the page number.

Q2) Is there a way on Amazon to see the whole highlight and page number?

Last edited by StanH; 03-05-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
some books don't have page numbers so they wouldn't have any to use... not sure if they would show if there were some or not...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
StanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
some books don't have page numbers so they wouldn't have any to use... not sure if they would show if there were some or not...
The book that I am using ...

"Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth" by Jim Baggott. (A library loaner.)

... has page numbers on the Kindle reader, Android reader and the PC reader.

But not at "kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights."
Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I can see them all on Amazon, and also it seems that if I create highlights on my Android or PC app they do show up as highlights in the other two devices. The just won't go to the "My Clippings" file on the Kindle.

Q1) Am I correct?

I originally thought that Amazon might contain a composite of highlights from all my devices that I could copy and edit. They seem to have them all, but not the entire highlight, and contain only the location and not the page number.

Q2) Is there a way on Amazon to see the whole highlight and page number?
Correct, and no. The Page Number will not show up, no matter what, as far as I can tell, on http://Kindle.Amazon.com/your_highlights
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The book that I am using ...
"Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth" by Jim Baggott. (A library loaner.)
... has page numbers on the Kindle reader, Android reader and the PC reader.
But not at "kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights."
so page # shows up on the "My Clippings.txt" file?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
so page # shows up on the "My Clippings.txt" file?
If the book has page numbers, then yes, that will appear there too.

For example:

Quote:
The Glitch in Sleep (The Seems, Book 1) (Hulme, John;Wexler, Michael)
- Your Highlight on Page 119 | Location 1256-1256 | Added on Monday, July 29, 2013 2:48:01 PM
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

ok srry I was confused as to what you were refering to for a moment (quite naturely the moment happened to be when I was posting ;p)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

..."you" being StanH...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
..."you" being StanH...
But I can still answer, I hope?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

I hope so.. (innocent expresion)

Tags
highlignts, notes