Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Non-Kindle books not showing up in personal kindle page

I've been doing a little reading up on how to get the most out of the highlights function of the (keyboard, wifi) Kindle, and discovered that apparently Amazon now lists or backs up not only my Kindle purchased books, but also my non-Kindle purchases, accessible through kindle.amazon.com.

Slight problem: when I go to my page and click on 'all books', I still only get those books I've purchased through that specific Amazon account. The dozens and dozens of personal files, purchases from other ebook stores (some converted for the Kindle), and downloads from sites like manybooks.net simply aren't there.

My account is in the UK and it occurred to me maybe the reason I don't see everything listed there is because the 'all books' function only really applies at the moment to Amazon US. Can anyone tell me if that's the case?

Edit: Ooookay; so it seems like even though those non-Kindle books don't show up on the kindle.amazon.com page, they do appear when you go to 'manage your kindle'. Which made me wonder if the reason the non-Kindle books don't appear in the former is that they don't want you to see the highlights, which must be kind of a pisser for anyone wanting to, say, upload personal documents and then highlight bits from them for later on-computer reference. If that really is the case, not good.

And yet, if that is the case, then why on Earth is there even a button where you can switch between 'Kindle only' and 'all books' on the kindle.amazon.com page?!

And while we're at it, I'm under the impression just about the only way at all to access non-Kindle highlights is still to plug the thing into my computer and access myclippings, either directly or using third-party software. Is there still no other way to get hold of those highlights?

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 04-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
I'm under the impression just about the only way at all to access non-Kindle highlights is still to plug the thing into my computer and access myclippings, either directly or using third-party software. Is there still no other way to get hold of those highlights?
You may copy the .mbp file along with the book to the "My Kindle Content" folder in "My Documents" and you can see all highlights in Kindle for PC. That's my favourite method of reviewing the book after I read it.

You can also use Mobipocket Reader if you copy these two files to "My eBooks" folder.

Last edited by Vroo; 04-11-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: quote, clarification
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
mdamzalak
mdamzalak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for this advice, it lets me put books on the Kindle for Mac. But I have a Kindle Touch and the highlights file is mbp1 not the old mbp, is that why no notes or highlights show up even though I copied those files into "My Documents" along with the book?
mdamzalak is offline   Reply With Quote