Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2024, 12:14 PM   #46
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Arvo is mine top favourite
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:58 AM   #47
Vaalberg
Vaalberg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
My favourite serif font is ITC Garamond Light (love that rounded O). For sans serif I really like Corporative Alt. Unfortunately neither of those are free.
I didn't know ITC Garamond Light, it's pretty awesome
Thank you for the discovery
Vaalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 02:42 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalberg View Post
If you have to up the weight because it's too light for eInk, then why not get the regular non-light version of ITC Garamond? Yes you may still want to up the weight, but not nearly as much.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:11 PM   #49
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaalberg View Post
Glad you like it! I actually discovered this font in a paper book. I got so enthralled by it that I reached out to the publisher to find out what that beautiful font was. They didn’t know (or were unwilling to investigate) as the book had been out of print for over a decade, so in the end I tracked it through an online font recognizer; there were a few false positives but finally I nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have to up the weight because it's too light for eInk, then why not get the regular non-light version of ITC Garamond? Yes you may still want to up the weight, but not nearly as much.
I agree it’s very light for eInk, but it’s actually not quite the same in its regular form for some reason; I tested several fonts flagged as possible candidates by that online recognizer by comparing snippets copied over from the printed book, and only the light version was a perfect match. Something about the way the lowercase o looks, almost squished vertically.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 02-24-2024 at 04:39 PM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:59 PM   #50
Vaalberg
Vaalberg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Glad you like it! I actually discovered this font in a paper book. I got so enthralled by it that I reached out to the publisher to find out what that beautiful font was. They didn’t know (or were unwilling to investigate) as the book had been out of print for over a decade, so in the end I tracked it through an online font recognizer; there were a few false positives but finally I nailed it!
Oh wow. I've never seen this font on a paper book. There is something really satisfying about it, everything look perfectly balanced, I love it. There aren't many serif fonts that are pleasant to read and that I'm able to read over the long term. Guess I found my match!

Font recognizers like MyFonts are pretty data-rich but rarely give the right font first. I think they sponsor similar fonts that can be bought on their site before giving really accurate results. Anyway, thanks again for the discovery
Vaalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 05:12 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
We used to use some of ITC's fonts at one place I did some consulting for. Personally, I preferred the ITC Garamond Std Book set for reading in print. However, please note that these fonts are not free. A print and electronic docs license is not cheap. And yes, one of their customers ran into issues when they violated the license terms by releasing a new version of an ebook and not paying for those licenses (a free update is not an issue, a new edition which costs the old owners is an issue).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:19 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
We used to use some of ITC's fonts at one place I did some consulting for. Personally, I preferred the ITC Garamond Std Book set for reading in print.
I like Garamond. However it needs decent print quality and doesn't seem so good for ebooks as paper.

There are plenty of reasonable free fonts now for ebooks and people may not select "Publisher Font" or else use an app that has no choices, or only built-in choices, or ignores embedded font. One needs to be more careful and conservative with paper. No free updates for a start!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:41 PM   #53
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been using IBM Plex Serif. (GitHub or the annoying marketing page)
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:15 AM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Personally, I don't like slab serif fonts such as IBM Plex Serif (look at the top of the capital T or the bottom feet of most of the letters).

Last edited by DNSB; 03-01-2024 at 12:19 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:41 AM   #55
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I find Fern Text (paid font) to be quite pleasing to the eye.

xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:51 PM   #56
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
We used to use some of ITC's fonts at one place I did some consulting for. Personally, I preferred the ITC Garamond Std Book set for reading in print. However, please note that these fonts are not free. A print and electronic docs license is not cheap. And yes, one of their customers ran into issues when they violated the license terms by releasing a new version of an ebook and not paying for those licenses (a free update is not an issue, a new edition which costs the old owners is an issue).
When looking for free Garamond, there's always EB Garamond. Not only one of the best Garamond versions available, but one of the best fonts available overall. Sadly, the author of the font appears to have abandoned work on it. It's fully usable for ebooks and for normal text, with italics and regular fonts in 8px and 12px form. 8 and 12 forms based on different sizes from 1592 Garamond specimen, but it's missing bolds for other uses.

It's available both on Adobe Fonts and Google Fonts pages with extra weights that were made by someone else, but only in it's 8px form. I'd encourage everyone to go for initial release instead. It includes initials and small caps versions, and off course, the glorious EB Garamond 12 in regular and italic versions.

Links:
http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/index.html
https://bitbucket.org/georgd/eb-garamond/downloads/

Btw, some people really don't like ITC Garamond: https://designobserver.com/article.php?id=2577

Last edited by jackm8; 03-03-2024 at 06:53 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:02 PM   #57
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Definitely beautiful, but maybe a bit too busy for reading. It does remind me of fonts I've seen fairly often in physical books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Btw, some people really don't like ITC Garamond: https://designobserver.com/article.php?id=2577
A lot of the ITC typefaces suffer from the "giant x-height equals more readable" assumption. They might be more readable, but I feel they are less enjoyable to read.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Personally, I don't like slab serif fonts such as IBM Plex Serif (look at the top of the capital T or the bottom feet of most of the letters).
I find slab serif to be really ugly.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:38 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post

That's actually a pretty good looking font.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:49 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've tried lots of fonts. LexiaDama is still my absolute favorite on a Kobo - not because it's beautiful, but because for some reason it feels just right for me. ChareInk is the close second (I actually preferred it on a Kindle, where you can't fine-tune line height and boldness level as well as on a Kobo), and DejaVu Serif Eink is the third (I used it on my Nook where you can't sideload fonts, so I had to embed it in the books).

Many of the others mentioned here have too large line spacing for my taste (I prefer tight lines).

These days I've mostly stopped trying new fonts. I guess I'll stick to the three mentioned above, depending on the device I'm reading on (currently only Kobos).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote