Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2024, 02:27 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I find graphic novels harder to read than just text, for some reason.
Me too. That's why I practically never read them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:50 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
While I don't really experience a reading slump as described here, I do find myself switching genres often; usually I don't want to read more than 3-4 books in the same genre consecutively. When it's a long series, I also read a book or two from some other genre between the volumes, often more.

I reread quite a lot, but that has nothing to do with willingness (or the lack of it) to start a new book. I just feel the desire to reread something, so I do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 08:36 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'll pile on even more heresy for you:
I've disliked every Stephen King book I've read

Hiding under the bed now...
Which ones have you read?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:49 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I always have something to read, and if I get in a slump, I will happily reread a favorite series or simply start reading some of my favorite fan fics. I don't even have to be in a slump to reread favorites.
I always have something to read. But sometimes it's just deciding what I want to read. This time I don't have a problem. When I finish what I am reading, will finish another I have been reading.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:26 AM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...I have the complete Paper Girls. The plot, world and characters are interesting, and I like the drawing style, but I've only read the first (of 6) albums. (It's time travel/SF starting in the 1980s, and I especially like the 1980s part.)
I started watching the series on Amazon, but have not read the original yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 10:01 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reading and delighting are elements that make us very happy indeed. In order to find delight in what we read, there must be an ability to suspend disbelief in order to find delight. As can be seen, reading and delighting combine those elements that make humans very happy. When humans are not happy, their ability to read introduces less happiness.

Ok, just thought I'd write a little AI parody nonsense, so we can all smile and enjoy the things we read. Or don't read. Isn't it jim-dandy having such diverse interests in what we read?
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I find graphic novels harder to read than just text, for some reason. I have the complete Paper Girls. The plot, world and characters are interesting, and I like the drawing style, but I've only read the first (of 6) albums. (It's time travel/SF starting in the 1980s, and I especially like the 1980s part.)
I really dislike it when a series adds graphic novels. I really dislike them. I wish they would go away forever. Either be a comic book series or a novel series, but not both.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:42 AM   #38
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just recently finished the latest Murderbot. Love that series! I made an omnibus of all the Murderbot novels and novellas, so it's just one big volume.
I read the first two, and while I liked them fine, I haven't read or bought any more, because they're way overpriced.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:17 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really dislike it when a series adds graphic novels. I really dislike them. I wish they would go away forever. Either be a comic book series or a novel series, but not both.
Rupert Annuals and the Illustrated 'The Last Hero' are fine if you don't like comics.
Some graphic novels are really simply a larger US style comic and few series have both.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:29 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For myself, I liked the illustrated version of Terry Pratchett's The Last Hero.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

"Are you a friend of his?"
"Well, we've met a couple of times and he didn't kill me," said Rincewind. "That probably counts as a yes."
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:10 PM   #42
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
I am feeling a bit slumpish too lately- I’m reading The Guest by Emma Cline and I’m loving the writing but the story is stressful and inducing dread. I just read the graphic novel of 1984 to refresh my memory in anticipation of reading Julia: a retelling of Orwell’s 1984 but that was depressing too as you can imagine. I need to find something a bit lighter next.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:26 PM   #43
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
<SNIP> I have the complete Paper Girls. The plot, world and characters are interesting, and I like the drawing style, but I've only read the first (of 6) albums. (It's time travel/SF starting in the 1980s, and I especially like the 1980s part.)
I ADORE Paper Girls. I have the whole thing in three giant, gorgeous hardcover editions. As a child of the 80s, I love the nostalgia, but I also love KJ.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:21 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Other then the audiobook version there is no non-illustrated version.

I have this in paperback because I got it before the eBook came out.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:54 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nine times out of ten, when we say 'graphic novels' we are just discussing collections of individual issues.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote