Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
nahte
Enthusiast
nahte began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nonvnc and Opensource to Use DX(G) as a PC Display

https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-display

- Contributor and suggestion are welcome, especially some compile/install steps.
- Ubuntu 12.04 is the only verified platform now.
- My ubuntu is using Linux version 4.0.

0-binary

Binary helps to use dxg as display without compiling.

01-udlfb.ko

Please remember it is based on linux-4.0. I put udlfb.ko the path as /lib/modules/4.0.0-040000-generic/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/udlfb.ko, and append udlfb to /etc/modules.

02-52-displaylink.conf

Please reference http://how-to.cc/get-a-displaylink-v...h-ubuntu-12-04 to get familiar with displaylink. 52-displaylink.conf should be put under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-displaylink

03-jailbreak

04-g_android.ko, put this under dxg's /mnt/us/

05-i.sh, put this under dxg's /mnt/us/ and make it executable.

06-mylcd, put this under dxg's /mnt/us/ and make it executable.

07-launchpad

Install launchpad from mobileread kindle forum. Append "I = !/mnt/us/i.sh" to launchpad's config file launchpad.ini.

08-steps

Boot ubuntu, boot dxg, landscape dxg, launchpad with I (press dxg's up key then i key to input I), connect dxg with usb, check pc's dmesg to see an extra fb is attached, logout ubuntu and login again, fun with dxg display!

1-displaylink

My codes started from Linux udlfb module, many thanks to displaylink team, a little bit change of udlfb is required.

2-linux-2.6.22-lab126

Displaylink's Linux udlfb module is used in PC side, so it is clear that we need to write a usb gadget driver for dxg.

My gadget code is based on linux-2.6.22-lab126, which is kindle dxg's kernel. The directory path here is kept same as to linux-2.6.22-lab126, which can be downloaded from https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...5370010.tar.gz

The android gadget driver is pretty cool for usb, so the first step is porting android gadget driver.

Q & A

- How to compile?
It is easy to compile a Linux module like udlfb, contribute please.

- How to install?
Insmod.

- How to use?
http://how-to.cc/get-a-displaylink-v...h-ubuntu-12-04

Last edited by nahte; 09-21-2015 at 03:10 AM.
nahte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahte View Post
The codes are written by a Chinese engineer, the steps is recorded in:
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Some pictures can be found in:
Thank you for this. This was exactly what I was talking about last week.

But...
just half screen? Where is full version?
Also, what does it use?
Only Windows?
Who is developer of this? You?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-30-2015 at 06:28 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
nahte
Enthusiast

It is worthy to take a try of the trial version.

Just half screen? Where is full version?
Take a try the trial version firstly, it is worthy.

Also, what does it use?
It use socket to transfer frame diff data, and is super fast.

Only Windows?
Yes.

Yes.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Also, what does it use?

Only Windows?
Yes.

Yes.
Karma's for you.
I tried it. Good job. I'm mainly a Linux user.

I have a few suggestions, if I may. Make it a donation-ware and open-source... Based on experience, it'll end up being better for you too. It might be counter-intuitive for you at first, but believe me, it'd be win-win.

--->
Spoiler:
50$ is a too idealistic and high. I doubt people will ...... you know what I'm sayin'
<---

A point though for future:
- Extending monitor instead of duplicating it ?

@hawhill: Look at this.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
- - - -
Make it a donation-ware and open-source... Based on experience, it'll end up being better for you too. It might be counter-intuitive for you at first, but believe me, it'd be win-win.
- - - -
We do not encourage closed source software here, only open source software.

Donation-ware as idoit suggests is alright - most open source licenses allow for donation-ware.

But as idoit points out, you missed a decimal point position in the translation to USD - that should be $5, not $50.

You should also include the terms (or a reference name and link) to the OSI approved license you choose.
Most of the stuff here uses the MIT license, see:
http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
I expect it is available in translation also.

Another **very** important point -
Always give credit where credit is due! Always!
It is a matter of honor. 面目

So when you reference our work, give us credit, don't just copy our packages to your own site and re-distribute them as if they where your own.

Even better - just give a link to page where people can get the original packages, such as:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Where you can see that the packages you have on your site are out-of-date.
You really should update the jail break and the USBnetworking packages you are re-distributing.

- - - - -

All of the above are only suggestions, suggestions that will help prevent you from dis-honoring yourself here the way the Doukan Project has.

#79 79 - whoot!

Last edited by knc1; 08-23-2015 at 09:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:

Also, what does it use?

Only Windows?
Yes.

Yes.
I can't understand Mandarin, but reading the other forum, believe me, I guarantee you that the model I suggested to you works better for you than the current one. Things have changed... I personally develop too... and I pay a developer when I WANT to not when I HAVE to. There is a beauty in being open... you gain more as well... As I said, win-win. The other business model only works for closed-minded environments like iOS/OSX... I'm not saying anything wrong with that, just saying you gotta know who your target audience is!

Having said all this, impressive loss less compression, I like it.

knc1 is the senior/master here, so now I speak less. Long story short, learn from Duokan failure.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-30-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But as idoit points out, you missed a decimal point position in the translation to USD - that should be $5, not $50.
Google says ¥300 is $50 -- but as idoit says that is a higher price than many people might wish to pay.

Quote:
Another **very** important point -
Always give credit where credit is due! Always!
It is a matter of honor. 面目

So when you reference our work, give us credit, don't just copy our packages to your own site and re-distribute them as if they where your own.

Even better - just give a link to page where people can get the original packages, such as:

Where you can see that the packages you have on your site are out-of-date.
You really should update the jail break and the USBnetworking packages you are re-distributing.

- - - - -

All of the above are only suggestions, suggestions that will help prevent you from dis-honoring yourself here the way the Doukan Project has.

#79 79 - whoot!
Agreed. At the very least, do us the courtesy of directing people to up-to-date versions.
But if you use our work, tell people where you got it from.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #8
nahte
Enthusiast

Quote:
- Extending monitor instead of duplicating it ?
Extending requires writing Windows driver which is out of my capability, I can only write Linux driver. Already implemented in Linux, actually Linux before Windows, but Windows is more popular here.

Opensource from beginning I think is more suitable, if someone worked very hard like 2 years and made some accomplishment, then everyone ask him to opensource and make it free, I don't think it is fair.

So I encouraged to start up a whole new open source project to write a extending monitor with Windows driver, it will improve the dxg monitor performance hugely, just like on Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Most of the stuff here uses the MIT license, see:
http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
I expect it is available in translation also.

License? I'm not a lawyer, these code is kind of separated to jailbreak and usbnetwork. And how I add a license, just add the http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT? But opensource is not my plan currently.

Using mobileread link to tell people where to get the original packages was acctually my first choice, but mobileread site is blocked in China, I uses vpn. Now I corrected it and added the mobileread link in my post.

Dis-honoring? DX has come to place for like 6 years, this is kind of first usable method for dx(g) to be used as pc monitor, but I got tiny encouragement but huge judgement, very disappoint now.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only dis-honor would be failing to give credit for the works you re-distribute.

If you give us credit, that is all that is needed.

You want your name on your work, we want our name on ours.

- - - -

Mobileread is not blocked to all of China, only a few parts of it.
No one seems to know why it is the way it is.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11

A few, like yourself, have to use a vpn or a proxy (Singapore has a lot of good proxy sites that you should be able to reach).

I have also been able to reach Mobileread using proxy services located in mainland China.

Or just ask a friend to try who has their Internet service from a different provider.
It my be that only your Internet provider is being blocked at the server, not by GFC.

I got my taste of the GFC while working on a project with a mainland tablet manufacturer.

- - - -

For the price your asking, you should just package everything your customer needs, not make them download from either your site or ours.

Then only you have to check our snapshots thread to ensure your providing the most recent of our packages.

- - - -

We do have support here for Windows Remote Desktop -
At least some versions of it.
Twobob, who created it, actually uses (or used) it to manage some of his customer's Windows installations.

I don't recall if it would run on the DX or not, perhaps he only did it for the Kindle Touch.

But that might be something you would be interested in porting to the DX.
If you have problems finding his source code repository, someone here can help you.

- - - -

The MIT license, perhaps this will help:
https://github.com/nsnail/spidernet/...ICENSE-CHINESE

- - - -

Try your product myself?

Sorry, I stopped using Windows with Windows 95.

Hmm...
Tomorrow (August 24) is the twenty year anniversary of its release.

Last edited by knc1; 08-24-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Using mobileread link to tell people where to get the original packages was acctually my first choice, but mobileread site is blocked in China, I uses vpn. Now I corrected it and added the mobileread link in my post.

Dis-honoring? DX has come to place for like 6 years, this is kind of first usable method for dx(g) to be used as pc monitor, but I got tiny encouragement but huge judgement, very disappoint now.
I hope you will be understanding.

For a long time, the Duokan project has offered an alternative OS for the Kindle, and in order to install it they repackaged our jailbreak, with an incompatible jailbreak certificate and NO accreditation.
This is a bit of a sore point for the people who put a lot of effort into developing the jailbreak and assorted hacks here, and weren't even acknowledged.
Anytime it looks like the same history might repeat itself, we (the Kindle Developer's Corner forum) make sure to bring the matter up for discussion, just in case.
And you see, something good did come of it -- you agreed that it would be a good idea to provide references to the original source. And there was a complete lack of dis-honoring of any kind.

for linking back to us, and I for one do not see a problem with you offering an archive that isn't blocked in China.
Now everyone is happy.

As for your project -- opensourcing it is your decision of course. I assume you already know there are some who won't use anything they cannot inspect and hack on the code. Just like there are some who would pay that wouldn't have donated.
I must admit to preferring open-source stuff... but then, I don't have a DX anyway, my opinion is moot.

If I may offer a suggestion, though? $50 USD is a bit high if you ask me. You might have better luck at, say, $20.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-24-2015 at 12:19 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

There is a non-Mobileread archive:
https://storage.sbg-1.runabove.io/v1...lic/index.html

We should not be so quick to blame the GFC for all connection problems, it may be just that Mobileread is blocking the OP's IP address range.
I have had to do that to large sections of China myself at my own sites.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Opensource from beginning I think is more suitable, if someone worked very hard like 2 years and made some accomplishment, then everyone ask him to opensource and make it free, I don't think it is fair.
I acknowledge your concerns and it's obviously your personal choice.
Imagine, if this was an open platform, by now, this thread would have been exploded with feedbacks and awesome ideas.

And who knows, maybe one of them would like you and your skills and offer you a job. I don't know about you, but I truly believe this approach works wonders in the long-run, not 5$ or 50$ short-run... my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
thatworkshop
hub

I have to say, I like how both server and client are coded.
And even for mylcd on Kindle (i.e. Linux), you're using android:scitd name? I guess mylcd on M68 (which is Android device) and Kindle are quite similar (if not same)?

Good, I like it.

And: What is option -c for? "Screen changes count"

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-25-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #14
nahte
Enthusiast

Quote:
And even for mylcd on Kindle (i.e. Linux), you're using android:scitd name? I guess mylcd on M68 (which is Android device) and Kindle are quite similar (if not same)?

And: What is option -c for? "Screen changes count"
I also write a Android APK for devices like Onyx Boox M96, you know Android's app is much easier to be ported then Linux binary.
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1645202

The option -c can control the freq of full screen update, less frequent bigger -c.

idoit gives honest feedback and encouragement, I appreciate.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #15
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
I also write a Android APK for devices like Onyx Boox M96, you know Android's app is much easier to be ported then Linux binary.
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1645202

The option -c can control the freq of full screen update, less frequent bigger -c.

idoit gives honest feedback and encouragement, I appreciate.
You are absolutely welcome.
See, my point above was that: In technology, we have come to a time that certain things are very easy and making money is more of a donation from consumer to the developer... when consumer feels trust and comfort, they are willing to contribute back both in form of finance and putting effort in making your (and now their) product better (for you and for themselves)... at least in my opinion.

And by the way, for instance, I have now hacked mylcd client (hence my previous post about method android::scitd etc) so it's doing CopyBits for whole screen not just top-half. I respect you (and first and foremost respect myself) and your work and I am not going to do anything with it or share it, just my point was that things have changed in this business, and by openness you gain more and we can help.

In any case,

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-26-2015 at 08:54 AM.