Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickReader View Post
@leebase, I have a lot of respect for the contribution the Stanza/Amazon guys made in laying the groundwork for OPDS, which is how we connect to the online catalogs. I'm not as crazy about their reader. People who prefer MegaReader/QuickReader over Stanza cite the simple interface, nice graphics, amount of customization you can do, and (for QuickReader) the improvement it has made in their reading speed. Another unique feature is it tells you how long it will take to complete a chapter and, in an upcoming release, how long to complete a book. Ultimately it comes down to preference. For most people, $1.99 is practically free, so "commercial vs. free" isn't a significant factor.
Free is free, pay for isn't free. But I asked because you where touting a feature as a big deal -- when a free product pioneered it, you are piggy backing off of it, and it's been available for free for a long time.

I'm interested in what is more simple about your interface. I love Stanza's interface. Just a question as, unfortunately, there is no "try before you buy" on the app store.

I do think the speed reading features sound interesting. I think I'd have led off touting those

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickReader View Post
MegaReader Reviews:
Those reviews don't compare it to anything else. Here are two reviews that do.

148apps.com

The Digital Reader

The latter review has an embedded You Tube video so you can get a sense of the look and feel of the product. Interface seems very attractive to me. When you are "reading a book" -- I didn't see anything special.

The first review affirms my own concerns. The 1.8 million books can be had by pretty much all of the existing and numerous free reading apps. What I didn't know -- is that you have no option to buy from Fictionwise or any of the other commercial book sources. Not good.

And yes, it has a speed reading function of some sort. I guess you'd have to decide you are actually paying for that feature as everything else has been done by everyone else -- and for free.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
QuickReader
QuickReader has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPhone / iPad
Hi Lee,

I guess it just comes down to preference. You're a fan of Stanza. For other people MegaReader suits them better. Some people are willing to pay a small amount for that choice, others aren't. So be it.

If I had to wear Nike running shoes, just because Bill Bowerman was the first to put rubber in his wife's waffle iron, I'd be a very unhappy runner. Nikes are fine shoes, but Asics fit me better. Stanza is a fine reader, but some people prefer MegaReader. Competition in the marketplace makes for a better choice of products.

-Patrick
QuickReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook+reader, free+books, ipad, iphone, ipod+touch