Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
gilowyn
gilowyn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle, Jetbook - at a loss

Hey guys,

Hope someone can nudge me on the way to my first ebook reader.

I am located in Germany, though the Kindle's wireless is not a must. Just as happy to upload books from my computer. And yes, I have no problem ordering in the States or through ebay.

Know my way around Calibre, so I am not too bothered by supported formats or DRM.

Don't want/ need a touch screen - especially not if it means more glare on the screen as it seems to be with the PRS 600.

What I want? An affordable ebook reader so I can get rid of my book shelves. Kindle's $260 is my max price - would definitely consider a different brand if it has distinct price advantage without too much quality loss. The Nook... not sure I want to wait till February, especially since I cannot order through B&N directly.

Which brought me to the JetBook. Is it an alternative, or will I just regret not having bought "the real thing"?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks, Gila
gilowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Hi Gilda, welcome to Mobileread

The two ebook readers that you are considering are from very different approaches. The Kindle uses the eink technology while jetbook is a backlit screen.

The advantages of eink devices are the longer battery life between charges (several weeks vs less than 1 day) and the more paper like appearance. The backlit screen does allow you to read in the dark without a supplimental reading light.

I would definitely suggest that an eink device be top on your list. Then the question becomes "where will you get your ebooks". If you will purchase most of them, then Amazon currently has the most attractive price and the largest selection. But Kindle currently only reads Amazon's proprietary format mobipocket and pdf. If you want to get your ebooks from multiple places, or download them from a library, then your should probably look at the Sony products or the Astak pocket pro. They both read drm'd epub and pdf books. I've included a link at the top to a wiki that compares eink devices.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
To me the big difference between Kindle (or Sony) and Jetbook is how you want to get your books, and where you want to get them from.

If you read the latest mystery, thriller, top 100 list, I'd suggest Kindle, Sony or similar.
As the latest titles are simply not as easy to find except through an online store.

If your just as happy reading the classics, project Gutenberg, manybooks, etc. Then the Jetbook. As it is designed for loading books from your computer via whatever source to your Jetbook. It handles a much wider range of supported formats.

If you want the convenience of getting your books from wireless network, again, kindle or perhaps the Nook.

If your happy scouring the web pages of the world looking for free offerings, then Jetbook hands down.

For me the last thing I wanted was to be tied to buying all my books from one place.
But at the point when I bought my Jetbook I had already amassed a pretty fair library.
Since then it has expanded 10fold.

Also at the point when I chose Jetbook I was reading things like Eink screen "flash" on page turns, and limited battery life. Jetbook's no flash almost instantaneous screen, high contrast, and 20 hour battery life had me interested. Being able to read a much wider variety of formats tipped the balance.

Jetbook supports .TXT, .PDF, .FB2, .JPG, .EPUB, .MOBI, .PRC and .RTF and with my latest firmware update added .HTML.

But to me the final decision comes down to where you want to get your books.
If you don't need the wireless, then why pay for it, and be limited by it.

To me Jetbook "is" the real deal, and Kindle is a poor imitation. Your basically giving Amazon permission to dip into your pocket every time you want to read a new book.

Jetbook in my opinion, is the best of the independent readers that are not tied to a store. But it is just my opinion. Others will no doubt have different opinions.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
gilowyn

Thanks! So I guess a Kindle it will be...

As for ebook prices - let's just say that I was floored that most of my existing books are app. $14 a piece. More than the paper back version. Not sure, but I think they are also handling different prices in Germany, even though I am buying through the US store.

For now, I am busy getting my existing books in ebook format... without selling my house to pay for it. After that, being able to download directly through the Kindle is definitely a plus.

Hm. Now I just need to decide - do I order now or wait till after Xmas, and see how many under-the-tree Kindles will go up on eBay?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
gilowyn

Okay, simultaneous posting. So what about the JetBook's different screen technology? Drawback? Yes no?

I used to work for Amazon in the Netherlands, way back, so to me, even their 1984-deletion-bloop can be excused. Then again, I also have an iPod and would never consider a different mp3 player. Something in me does yell "Kindle" repeatedly. Then again, my stretched bank account says "why not save $100 and buy a JetBook".

Unfortunately, cannot compare either one in "real life", as both are shipped from the US...
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
The two ebook readers that you are considering are from very different approaches. The Kindle uses the eink technology while jetbook is a backlit screen.
No. The Jetbook does not use a backlit screen.

Quote:
The advantages of eink devices are the longer battery life between charges (several weeks vs less than 1 day) and the more paper like appearance. The backlit screen does allow you to read in the dark without a supplimental reading light.
No. The JetBook does not use a backlit screen. Reading time is around 20 hours for the JetBook, and can be used for several days without recharging. It's less than the e-ink readers sure, but it's nothing to shake a stick at at the moment either.

Quote:
I would definitely suggest that an eink device be top on your list. Then the question becomes "where will you get your ebooks". If you will purchase most of them, then Amazon currently has the most attractive price and the largest selection. But Kindle currently only reads Amazon's proprietary format mobipocket and pdf. If you want to get your ebooks from multiple places, or download them from a library, then your should probably look at the Sony products or the Astak pocket pro. They both read drm'd epub and pdf books. I've included a link at the top to a wiki that compares eink devices.

cheers
I usually recommend against the e-ink as the contrast is low. It works fine if you read with big fonts, so if you have extra-poor vision and want the larger screen or larger font viewing, perhaps the e-ink devices are better bets.

Pageturns on the JetBook are much faster, due to the superior screen. Biggest downsides are a) more power draw (the LCD isn't bistable so it will draw power as long as it is on), b) reduced viewing angle (not really a problem if you don't plan to read at very steep angles to the reader), and c) lower resolution (offsets the advantage in contrast).

Either device is fine. If I were in your position, I'd get the JetBook. But since it does not have a backlit screen, you need to have ambient light to read it, just like e-ink.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilowyn View Post
Okay, simultaneous posting. So what about the JetBook's different screen technology? Drawback? Yes no?

I used to work for Amazon in the Netherlands, way back, so to me, even their 1984-deletion-bloop can be excused. Then again, I also have an iPod and would never consider a different mp3 player. Something in me does yell "Kindle" repeatedly. Then again, my stretched bank account says "why not save $100 and buy a JetBook".

Unfortunately, cannot compare either one in "real life", as both are shipped from the US...
There are no ebook readers that in my opinion can compete with books in terms of reading quality yet, so I don't know about a complete book replacement system, though just about any ebook reader is usable.

In early January at the CES show, there will likely be several new ebook readers announced that will take advantage of somewhat newer technologies. I believe many of them will stick with the old PVI/e-ink Vizplex stuff but integrate superior chipsets and controllers, and others may start integrating newer and/or better technologies than e-ink's. It's hard to say with absolute certainty what will be shown there, but I do believe Pixel Qi will make an appearance with an OEM partner. Pixel Qi, if you read about it here or elsewhere, is a new LCD-based "transflective" screen technology that allows both normal LCD usability (with a backlight) and also a reflective mode (for outdoor reading and power conservation).

Long story short...you might want to hold out for CES to see what developments come and what is around the corner.

If you need something now, I'd recommend something that won't break the bank that will do the job an ebook reader is supposed to do, but without any pretensions of it being the last device you'll ever buy. For that, I think the JetBook is a great option. It's not perfect (no ebook reader is, and many are far more crippled than the JB), but it does its job pretty well, is highly usable, and has some nice features and a nice portable size, compared to other devices (not to mention a good price).

If you know how to get your own books, and you don't mind a 5" screen, it'd be my first recommendation. If you don't mind a 5" screen and want something with e-ink (I don't know why you would, but some people like the extra-long battery life), I'd recommend the PocketBook 360.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 12-15-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98

Loads of info on the jetbook here at MobileRead. Also several threads where people who own both have given their opinion. Read it all and then make your best informed decision.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
gilowyn

I was thinking of waiting for CES, but the sad truth is that I am unsure how quickly those devices will then actually hit the market.

Though getting the JetBook now and upgrading in a year or so might be an option.

BTW, what's up with the JetBook Lite? It's 20 Euros less, somehow, though I am unsure of the advantages/ disadvantages of having a regular battery machine...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
I was thinking of waiting for CES, but the sad truth is that I am unsure how quickly those devices will then actually hit the market.

Though getting the JetBook now and upgrading in a year or so might be an option.

BTW, what's up with the JetBook Lite? It's 20 Euros less, somehow, though I am unsure of the advantages/ disadvantages of having a regular battery machine...
I don't think I like the thickness of it. The big advantage to my PRS-505 is that it's thin and easy to stuff into a bag. Adding a big battery bulge would reduce the portability a lot, but would make it handy if you're traveling where there aren't many opportunities to recharge. Other than that, I think the devices are the same.

I understand not wanting to wait a long time. I already have an ebook reader and I tolerate it until something better comes out, but it's nice having an ebook reader now, even if I know I'll replace it once I come across something better. There are a lot of folks with current devices that feel the same way...enjoy now, upgrade later. JetBook is one of the best choices for that IMO.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
gilowyn

Okay, guessing is over - just ordered the JetBook. $180 incl shipping to Germany, let's see what customs will be (if any).

The weak dollar made that an easy choice now... and I'll see what else comes out in the future and when to upgrade.

THANKS for your help!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, guessing is over - just ordered the JetBook. $180 incl shipping to Germany, let's see what customs will be (if any).

The weak dollar made that an easy choice now... and I'll see what else comes out in the future and when to upgrade.

THANKS for your help!
Glad to help a little bit. It's frustrating to waffle around trying to figure out what to buy, and sometimes unrealistic expectations get made, despite reading lots of reviews.

Sometimes it's just good to throw down and get what works and is convenient. Besides, quality is not usually considered important with ebooks, and struggling to pick the "best" quality device is really a losing battle, since you'll probably be playing with epubs and similar files anyway. The best quality books, which are custom-made PDFs generally, are a bit of a wasted effort given the screen quality in general. Overall, ebook people settle for "viewable", which is comparable in quality and sophistication to a child's typical MS Word book report...usually a bit of a let-down if you appreciate even basic typesetting. I make my own 6" PDFs for my PRS-505, and refuse to bother with epub or lrf or anything else for that matter. It's a bit pointless overall, but it helps make ebooks a little more tolerable, and less like primitive webpages.

I think it's important to not have extremely high expectations for these devices, but I'm sure you will be able to get a lot of use and enjoyment out of your JetBook. I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself, even though I already have a reader device and I know CES is around the corner.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 12-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
gilowyn

All it has to do is let me get rid of my book shelves. App. 600 books in three large cases... and I just don't have the space anymore. Books are scattered all ovr my 120 sq ft apartment.

If I can transfer most of them onto my JetBook and actually enjoy reading them - then I am happy. And I am sure technology will develop rapidly in any case, so I know something new will eventually be bought.

I had the iPod 2G till it broke, now have 5G... and oggling the touch. Guess ebook readers will just be another product where I oggle the new developments.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
gilowyn

The POS JetBook is going back tomorrow, by the way. Bought a regular one, they shipped a Lite. One month in, it starts to freeze and will not do the firmware update. Just wasted 3 hours, and sick to death.

Kindle has been ordered, JetBook will be mailed back. What a Piece of Sh.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
The POS JetBook is going back tomorrow, by the way. Bought a regular one, they shipped a Lite. One month in, it starts to freeze and will not do the firmware update. Just wasted 3 hours, and sick to death.

Kindle has been ordered, JetBook will be mailed back. What a Piece of Sh.
Sorry the Jetbook didn't work for you. I've been thinking of trying the Lite version (cause I like toys ). Going to try to get a look at one in person today.

Anyway, while waiting for you Kindle to arrive, take a look at the links in my sig for some tips & trick and fun things you can do you with your Kindle.

If you have any questions or problems, pop in to the Kindle Forum and we'll try to help you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote