Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #31
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
another jetBook video review from Frankfurt Book show (in German)
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #32
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I wonder why the factory doesn't make a 6" screen.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #33
mcysr
mcysr is on a distinguished road

Device: none
This site

http://www.handsee.com/class.asp?lx=big&anid=75

shows many variants that we may be lucky to see in the future, with better designs.

matthew
mcysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcysr View Post
This site

http://www.handsee.com/class.asp?lx=big&anid=75

shows many variants that we may be lucky to see in the future, with better designs.
Some interesting stuff there.

Something like this would be a nice budget option (at under 90 bucks) in the US:

http://www.handsee.com/html/2043.htm

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #35
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Oh wow. Some of hte smaller ones with note abilities are so cool.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #36
Emu
Enthusiast
Emu is on a distinguished road

Device: Had: iRex iLiad 8", iriver stroy HD 6", Dell Vostro A90 9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
Well, the reason I'd consider it is for the fact that it uses AAA batteries. I already have a bunch of rechargeable AAA batteries and being able to swap out batteries is advantageous in situations where one just can't get to a working outlet to recharge every few days. Although I'd probably wait until I found it somewhere for a 20 to 30 percent discount.
Its AA not AAA, right?
But I love to have devices with rechargeable batteries. Its the only combination with poor batlife like the lcd solution. With eInk internal would be okay, but with just 20h I need rechargeables!
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru.ereader View Post
The only good design in eBooks is like 10 years old REB 1100 which can be bought for $50
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Ebook-REB110...item563613ccae

And this Ectaco thing even does not have touchscreen or backlit And costs $150 ? Come on

I never seen this one before.
SSSOOOHHH SEXY

Last edited by mazzeltjes; 11-07-2009 at 02:34 PM.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #38
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
SSSOOOHHH SEXY
jetBook has different screen (better than e-ink)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
RCA has regular LCD, same type as Ebookman screen
Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #39
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
SSSOOOHHH SEXY
Hmm...Now I'm curious. What's so nice about it? Personally I find it a bit gaudy looking. I prefer the appearance of the jetBook over that thing. It's simple, utilitarian and doesn't distract from the purpose of the device. Okay, the jetBook is perhaps overly utilitarian in design but if the alternative is something with more curves than a modern art sculpture of Venus then I'll take utilitarian any day.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #40
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
jetBook has different screen (better than e-ink)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
RCA has regular LCD, same type as Ebookman screen
While I'm receptive to the idea that transflective LCD might offer serious competition to eInk (whose development of new screens appears to have stalled), a 5" 640x480 screen is only 160dpi. eInk's 5" version is 200dpi.

There's no point having mildly better contrast if you don't have the resolution to make use of it. All the new display technologies that have been publicised recently are just fudges that skirt around the fact that they still haven't worked out how to push dpi over 200.

Having said all that, this product looks pretty interesting at a price of $150. There's no doubt that price is the major barrier to wider eBook acceptance.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #41
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
There's no doubt that price is the major barrier to wider eBook acceptance.
Amen! And not just among the general population, but here at MR (with its hard core group of readers and gadget freaks and early adopters) as well.

In the little time that I have been here, I have seen great enthusiasm generated by low prices - first when Astak announced that it would sell its Pocket Pro for $199, then when Amazon announced that it was selling refurbished Kindle 1's for $149, and most recently when it was discovered that some Targets are selling Sony prs-505's for $70.

It seems that even here price generates more interest than features.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Amen! And not just among the general population, but here at MR (with its hard core group of readers and gadget freaks and early adopters) as well.

In the little time that I have been here, I have seen great enthusiasm generated by low prices - first when Astak announced that it would sell its Pocket Pro for $199, then when Amazon announced that it was selling refurbished Kindle 1's for $149, and most recently when it was discovered that some Targets are selling Sony prs-505's for $70.

It seems that even here price generates more interest than features.
Some phone providers pay you in case if you buy cell phone with 2 years plan from them . I think many eBook readers will be available for free in near future..