Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Magnum
:3
Magnum doesn't litterMagnum doesn't litterMagnum doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Sangria!)
Slow PDF pageturns on PRS505

Okay - I already know PDF is far from the ideal format. Let's skip past the suggestions about what format to use in this one.

I have a PDF that is mostly images. I went and optimized it from 220megs down to 48megs. I loaded it onto my reader using the Sony software.

Page turns take twice as long as .lrf format. Am I surprised? Not really.

Any tips for making the page turns faster? Is there another way to optimize my PDF and still have it available in landscape all pretty-like?

For what it's worth, it's a book on typography design - so ideally I kind of want a middle ground between quality and - well, page turn speed!

I hope this is possible.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are the images correctly sized for the 800x600 pixel screen of the Sony? That's really the only optimisation I can suggest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you can, use ImageMagick to turn the PDF into a numbered series of PNG files, then zipped them up into a .cbz and use manga2pdf on them.

That will get it as good as can be reasonably gotten.

What's the book by the way?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I'd say that it really depends on how the PDF file itself is put together. If it's a bunch of scans or images (which if it's 220MB, it probably is), then ahi's suggestion should work well. If the various type examples are actually set as characters in the text using their respective typefaces, you may want to keep them as glyphs instead of rasterizing them (you can hit ctrl/cmd-D in Acrobat to see what fonts are embedded in the file). From how you've described it, though, it will probably be a matter of trial and error to find the right balance of quality and speed.

And yes, what is the book? As a typophile, I'm always on the lookout for type design and specimen books.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I'd say that it really depends on how the PDF file itself is put together. If it's a bunch of scans or images (which if it's 220MB, it probably is), then ahi's suggestion should work well. If the various type examples are actually set as characters in the text using their respective typefaces, you may want to keep them as glyphs instead of rasterizing them (you can hit ctrl/cmd-D in Acrobat to see what fonts are embedded in the file). From how you've described it, though, it will probably be a matter of trial and error to find the right balance of quality and speed.

And yes, what is the book? As a typophile, I'm always on the lookout for type design and specimen books.
Very good point.

Also, ImageMagick I believe has functionality for trimming single colour borders. Assuming you can get away with reducing the document to simple black and white (and it is a good quality scan), it can work rather well.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Try PDFRead 1.8.2 and convert that .pdf directly into .lrf after having PDFRead "massage" it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Magnum, I'd try out nrapallo's suggestion. I've had luck with PDFRead too!
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote