Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
New Leather Kindle Covers from Oberon

From the Amazon Forums

Not my style but there seems to be quite a few folks who like them.

8 Leather Kindle covers from Oberon Designs. Pricey at $75 each.

Pics of a cover in use from the Kindleboards site.

Edit: Fixed the link to the picture of the cover in use.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-18-2008 at 12:06 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Way too expensive!

These are more expensive than even the StylzWorld cases, but still are just using velcro to secure the Kindle? Amazing if anyone buys them. They look great on the outside, but I can buy any of these designs as a journal cover for $25-$45 each at b&n and just cut out the paper and add velcro. For this kind of money they need a more dedicated holding system.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
These are works of art, I've always love Oberon, but had no use for a journal. I am certainly going to be getting one. I've held their products in my hands, and they are truly works of art. Lusting after one actually. Also made in the US.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
These are more expensive than even the StylzWorld cases, but still are just using velcro to secure the Kindle? Amazing if anyone buys them. They look great on the outside, but I can buy any of these designs as a journal cover for $25-$45 each at b&n and just cut out the paper and add velcro. For this kind of money they need a more dedicated holding system.
Ditto. They are gorgeous -- but they still make me glue something to my Kindle????? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

But I might just go look at B&N at the journals you mentioned.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
MonaLS
Groupie

Hey, I already have Velcro attached to my Kindle, so what to a little more. All the types of Velcro I have tried attach well to the Kindle and peel off cleanly.
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
MonaLS
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
I can buy any of these designs as a journal cover for $25-$45 each at b&n
And nonsense. You may be able to buy something similar, but there is no way it will be as nice. Not a single solitary hope.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
And nonsense. You may be able to buy something similar, but there is no way it will be as nice. Not a single solitary hope.
Look, just a 2 minute search on Amazon found this one, this one, and this one. Barnes and Noble had journals like this one. All of the above are more than "even close".

I know everyone has their favorite stationary vendor and can be fiercly loyal, even when the products can be purchased elsewhere cheaper, but lets keep things with some semblance of reality around here folks.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
MonaLS
Groupie

Sorry to have offended.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, after griping about the velcro, I'm still itching to buy one. But the web page -- which showed me covers earlier -- now says there aren't any. I wonder if they sold out already? Or if it's just a web glitch.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, after griping about the velcro, I'm still itching to buy one. But the web page -- which showed me covers earlier -- now says there aren't any. I wonder if they sold out already? Or if it's just a web glitch.
My understanding is that these covers are hand made by a small company and take some time to create. There are a number of people on Amazon who've been gushing over these covers, so they may be temporarily sold out.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I'm grateful to 2 of the Kindleboard people --- who did what I've been thinking about, and recorded the results. They bought a 6x9 Oberon journal, and just inserted the original Kindle cover into that. (I may do a variation on that; we'll see). EBay has a couple of re-sellers of Oberon journals, so there are slightly more covers already made up and ready to sell than there are Kindle covers. Plus, I wanted a design that isn't currently offered as a Kindle cover.

So ... I bought a 6x9 Oberon journal cover and will wrap it around my Kindle with loving care!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The Amazon thread now reports that they have pulled the covers to rework them due to the issues people are having with using velcro.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
It appears that while the velcro worked, they listened heard the velcro feedback and actually bought a machine so they could add corners. Those who already purchased will get a choice of velcro or the corners.

Talk about listening to their customers! My original cover works fine and was holding off for a cover with a built in lite... but have to admit this makes me want to buy from them.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,903.0.html
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
MonaLS
Groupie

You now have a choice, Velcro or leather corners to hold your Kindle. The pictures shown are prototypes, but you can see them here: http://www.oberondesign.com/store/kindle.php
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The corners are much nicer (a la M-Edge).