Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
babloyi
babloyi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question PDF, EPUB or CBZ/R?

Okay, so I decided to backup and archive my online comic collection, and quite a few of them offer me the option of downloading as a PDF (High Quality), PDF (for Google Play), EPUB or CBZ/R. The HQ PDFs are the largest size, and the EPUBs/CBZ are approximately the same size. I have a 4TB portable drive, so if PDF is somehow better, I have no issue with storing them as that. I don't think I'd bother with the lower quality PDFs.

I'm not sure what I'll eventually read them on-my PC or some ebook reader or a tablet, so one format not working on some devices and the other not working on some other isn't an issue for me.

In terms of the formats themselves (image quality, format features, etc.) which would be the best? I know that CBZ/CBR are basically just images in a zip/rar file. Is that a bad thing? What about the other formats?
babloyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Cbz's being just zipped images is a huge advantage in my opinion. It is the easiest of them all and easily converted, if there should be a need for another format. All other formats are images inside a slightly different and more complex container.

Only downside is that metadata is not as easily available in it. There is a quasi standard, which is implemented by some comic readers. Basically just xml in a file inside the zip (or sometimes in the zip comment). If you use calibre, I have written a plugin to embed that kind of metadata.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might want to read the article in our wiki CBR and CBZ. The images themselves are in some format and that format can make a difference in the size and reading experience. Of course the wiki also contains articles on other formats. ePub would be the exact same images with an HTML document pointing to them. It might have a TOC that could be useful depending on the eBook.

I would suggest that you look at the tool you will be using to read them. Do you want bookmarks or other features, etc. the wiki article has some suggested reading apps.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbr, cbz, comics, file formats