Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Hitman/Assassin fiction

I really liked the books published so far in the Victor the Assassin series, and have just seen the film John Wick with Keanu (I think that's how it's spelled) Reeves, about an ex-gangster hitman on a revenge mission. Both those were really enjoyable, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations in a similar vein?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon
The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian
The Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
There is the Rain series by Barry Eisler. The first couple were quite good, I thought.

Day of the Jackal was the classic of the genre. The Eiger Sanction was very good as well. Trevanian wrote a sequel called the Loo Sanction.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I haven't read those but Barry Eisler's John Rain series is pretty good. The first three Bourne books by Robert Ludlum are good too; they are nothing like the movies though. The rest of the series, written by Eric Von Lustbader, might be good too but I haven't read them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
I really liked the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. The audiobooks were great and a co-worker gave two thumbs up when he read the books.

http://markgreaneybooks.com
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I've been meaning to read Day of the Jackal. I've got the Gray Man series already but haven't read it, but it's nice to know other people have liked it. I've also got the John Rain series by Barry Eisler, which looks cool. I did not know that 1Q84 fitted the criteria, so that's cool too. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I've been meaning to read Day of the Jackal. I've got the Gray Man series already but haven't read it, but it's nice to know other people have liked it. I've also got the John Rain series by Barry Eisler, which looks cool. I did not know that 1Q84 fitted the criteria, so that's cool too. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.
Forsyth is known for the accuracy in his books. Day of the Jackal was great. Dogs of War was so accurate as far as details on how you do various things, that Forsyth was accused of being involved in a coup attempt as part of his research for the book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Forsyth is known for the accuracy in his books. Day of the Jackal was great. Dogs of War was so accurate as far as details on how you do various things, that Forsyth was accused of being involved in a coup attempt as part of his research for the book.
He disclosed this year that he worked for MI6 for a long time.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34101822
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Shibumi by trevanian
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you are after as it is crime fiction with a touch of black comedy rather than a straight thriller, but I thought Leif G.W. Persson's Story of a Crime series starting with Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End, which turns about the assassination of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme, was brilliant.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-19-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: ... black comedy ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I see we already mentioned the John Rain series, one of my favorites.

I think I read everything Forsyth ever published. While I obviously like his work, his older books like DotJ has the pacing of its era. That can feel painfully slow to a modern reader.

Also a little slow, and a pure fantasy, but has a lot of fans -- Robin Hobbs' Farseer trilogy (starting with Assassin's Apprentice).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Matt Helm Series by Donald Hamilton. Please do not compare the books to the movies.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I think you'll like the John Rain and Gray Man that you already have.

Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series is very well written.

Roger Hobbs' Ghostman series seems to be just getting started; two so far.

If you get tired of the thriller aspects and would like something gritty, Andrew Vachss' Burke series features a criminal assassin with a grudge against child abusers.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Andrew Vachss. Shella and That's How I Roll. He's also done a recent series with a hit-man type figure. I forget the name. His stuff is not your average shoot 'em up. I couldn't put it down. The author is active in the legal protection of abused children.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Moonrise by anne stuart
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote