Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
jonathandt2
jonathandt2 began at the beginning.

Device: REB 1100
Need help downloading with my 1100

I'm trying to connect to the online store via my REB 1100 but it looks like the network is not working. It as been a while (2 years) since the last time I tried.

I have the Version: 2.0.305

Any help will be great.

Jonathan
Miami Florida
jonathandt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I don't think the REB store is available anymore. You can still get books from the Gutenberg Project, but I really doubt anyone is selling new books for the REB.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That's correct: The REB store hasn't been available for years.

However, you can certainly download books to the device, and from a number of sources.

Additionally, you can purchase books from Fictionwise, as they sell books formatted in the .rb format.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
jonathandt2

Great... now I just need to know what I have to do to be able to transfer books from my PC to my 1100. Will I be able to find a cable at Radio Shak?
Do I need a driver for Windows XP?
And finaly, where can I get books?

Thank you,

Jonathan
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm only starting to use my 1100 after a long time of not using it. Two are here in Peru with me, but the intermitent problem is now permanent on one unit, leaving me with a perfectly working 1100 and TWO non-working units.

Where to get files:
You can get 1100 files here on MobileRead, files in the public domain. You can also convert RTF files. There was program for managing content and converting some RTFs into .RB (However, my previous HD crashed and I don't have that program on this new drive.)

BookDesigner - available here - will also convert RTFs into .rb files. There's a learning curve involved in its use.

Back when the store was in business, it was a simple matter of connecting a standard modem cable to the computer and then the registered 1100 would automatically dial. This cable was how one put purchased books onto the Reader.

Getting files onto the 1100:
I've found the easiest way is to take the card out of the 1100 and stick it into one of the card readers that reads these older cards. They're USB-based card readers, but because they accept this older card, you may have some difficulty finding one.

WARNING: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT--
ALWAYS TURN OFF THE UNIT BEFORE TAKING THE CARD OUT OF THE 1100.
AND --
ALWAYS HAVE THE UNIT OFF WHEN INSERTING THE CARD BACK INTO THE 1100.

I hope this helps in some way. I'm by no means an expert on 1100s, but I have taken 2 units apart so I know the innards, but not the technical aspect of the units.

I think one needed a driver for the operation of using the unit with the store, but I really can't remember. I know if all you want to do is put books onto the reader, then these older generation cards and the card reader is sufficient. I'm doing here - in Peru - and without that software. REMEMBER: ALWAYS TURN OFF THE UNIT. ALSO, ALWAYS HAVE THE UNIT OFF WHEN RE-INSERTING THE CARD.

Don
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
jonathandt2

Lots of help in deed...

I have just purchased a book and uploaded it to my 1100, working great.

Now my next question is, most of the books i'm looking for do not come in .rb format. Can I buy them in another format and convert it? If so which format will convert easily?

Or is it better for me to sell this one and get something else?

Jonathan
Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathandt2 View Post
Lots of help in deed...

Now my next question is, most of the books i'm looking for do not come in .rb format. Can I buy them in another format and convert it? If so which format will convert easily?

Jonathan
A program called GEB Librarian can aid in converting eBooks and in moving them to the device. It is not free but it works well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathandt2 View Post
Lots of help in deed...

Jonathan
This is a difficult question to answer. Let me try to be objective about my answer although, ultimately, I will fail in the end.

I, too, have an 1100 and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I think most people like these old 1100s and the "newer" [rebranded] ebookwise 1150 because it allows one to read at night. Ergonomics is also listed as an important factor. (Occasionally, one will encounter here on this forum the disgruntled reader who dislikes the new e-ink technology because it's not backlit. In one sense, these illogically thinking people are paying homage to the 1100s and the earlier Readers from other companies from that era.)

As I stated, I like my 1100. I use it in conjunction with my Sony PRS-505, but the 1100 just cannot compete for my reading tastes regarding availability of books that I enjoy. I also love the screen on my Sony PRS-505.

It is true that most of the newer books do not come in the .rb format. The fact is, the .rb and .imp format are dead formats, kept alive - somewhat - by Fictionwise [Ebookwise]. My opinion about Fictionwise - this parent company - is that it is a great company as my posts here on MobileRead will attest. They've kept the .rb format from completely dying out. And they're committed to the .imp format; however, the question is, for how long. We know they're looking into an e-ink device in order to pull in more readers [buyers] to their site.

Now, this is my REALLY biased opinon: I would keep the device and buy an e-ink device to go along with your 1100. Read the forums. One editor here loves his Gen3. I love my Sony PRS-505.

Our reading devices are like wives whom we love, even though they're crazy to live with: We don't want to get rid of them, [the Readers, I now mean] even if they do occasinally reset or can't bookmark, or have faulty controls, or dead batteries, or run out of cases because someone is incapable of doing simple math... (OK, that was a cheap shot.)

Don
Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
jonathandt2

After some long reading on the subject I have finally decided to go for the Sony Reader and just purchased the 505 yesterday…

I have to say that just for the fact that I have so much more options and choices; its worth switching. I will miss the back lite and the touch screen…

I’m glade I found this board, lots of good guidance and reviews.

Thank you all for the help, see you in the Sony Reader boards.

Jonathan
Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
rebguy
Avid REB1100 user
rebguy began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100
Do you have the eBook Librairian software that comes with the REB 1100? You can use that to move books to your REB 1100.

Also, if you can find the original Rocket Librarian that came with the original Rocket eBook, you can use that to convert HTML, RTF and TXT files. I think it may also convert word documents too. Once the files are converted, which is done by just dragging them to the rocket librarian, you will have to go to the library folder and drag them to the ebook librarian to move to your REB 1100.

Jim
rebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
paparod
paparod began at the beginning.

Device: RCA eBook 1100
You can use rebcomm and rbmake as well to convert and copy books to your eBook 1100 from your pc via usb.
paparod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
joney
joney began at the beginning.

So I cannot find any software that will convert from PRC or LIT (most books I want) to .rb!

If anyone knows of such a software, please, please let me know before I throw away my REB1100.
joney is offline   Reply With Quote