Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #181
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I updated Saturday and noticed that my collections appear in a random order, as before they were listed alphabetically, reading above I went to check my glo and noticed that I also don’t have the sort option, I will try to do as described to fix it.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #182
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Has anyone else noticed 3.2.0 is extremely slow at processing sideloaded books?

I just sideloaded a couple of new purchases and the processing took about 15 seconds per book. It used to take less than 1 second per book with 3.1.1.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #183
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
It is also extremely slow at starting up, with 1300+ books on both the internal and a 16gb sd card the glo is taking 14+ mins from being switched on until it is ready to use.

Incidentally the books are taking up 5.19gb of space and are all kepubs.

This is happening on both of my glo's and my aura, they used to be ready to use in less than 2 mins with the same amount of books on them.

I would gratefully love any suggestions of speeding them up without removing the books from them.

Also at least one of the glo's is now dropping 4% battery every time I start it up.

Last edited by Nascarfan1972; 03-12-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #184
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I had a quick play with the selection tool for 3.2.0 (Glo), and it works a lot better. Properly, in fact.

Next up: multipage select...
Well, it's improved a lot, but there's still a bunch of bugs:
  1. highlighting it's more fast than before, but it's still slow
  2. sometimes it's hard to select words at the beginning / end of a paragraph
  3. It's difficult to select / deselect one more / less character, punctuation marks in particular. This is annoying with commas, since I usually do not want to highlight them.
  4. I'm still convinced that a button to start / end highlighting will be more fast and high-performing

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 03-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #185
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Next up: multipage select...
Well, tried this. Couldn't figure out how to make it work.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #186
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

It works only for kepubs, unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #187
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Well, tried this. Couldn't figure out how to make it work.
Select and drag to the bottom-right or top-left corners. It will turn the page forwards or backwards. But, it is a kepub only thing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #188
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
It is also extremely slow at starting up, with 1300+ books on both the internal and a 16gb sd card the glo is taking 14+ mins from being switched on until it is ready to use.
I have about 1900 books on my Glo. It is starting in less than two minutes. There are about 1200 books on the SD card. Most are epubs but there are about 80 purchase kepubs.
Quote:
That's a lot of space taken by those books. My 1900 are taking little more than 1GB. Is there anything unusual about them?
Quote:
This is happening on both of my glo's and my aura, they used to be ready to use in less than 2 mins with the same amount of books on them.

I would gratefully love any suggestions of speeding them up without removing the books from them.
What happens during those 14 minutes? Is the book processing screen displayed? Or is it sitting on the dancing squares screen? What happens if you take the SD card out before turning it on? You can insert the card after the device reaches the home screen.

Can you have a look at the database on the device? How big is it? And can you run a check on it? If you are using calibre and my Kobo Utilities plugin, it has a database check option. Otherwise, any SQLite browsing tool will be able to do it.
Quote:
Also at least one of the glo's is now dropping 4% battery every time I start it up.
That's probably caused by the 14 minute start up. There is probably a lot of CPU or disk access during that time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #189
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Davidfor,

I have a lot of history books, biographies and sports books on the kobo along with the general fiction books I own, the largest book I have takes up 110mb on its own and I have at least 15 pages of books that are over 20mb in size.

My SQLite database is 146mb in size.

Also I am not sure or confident enough to run a check on the SQlite database file. So I have taken the liberty of PMing a copy to yourself so that you can see if anything is wrong with it.

I tried removing the sd card and rebooting, but that still took 12 mins, and the device then hung when I reinserted the card.

Thanks
Rugbyfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

I just sideloaded a couple of new purchases and the processing took about 15 seconds per book. It used to take less than 1 second per book with 3.1.1.
I've gone from ~40 minutes to process 2000 books to 3.5 hours. Makes factory resets much less tempting.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #191
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post

That I am not noticing -- the time from power on to ready to read has not changed noticeably for me. ~2000 books mostly on an external uSD card, total space about 1.67GB. A couple of large graphic intensive ebooks that are in the 12-89MB range but most are much smaller.

The last time I saw startup times in that range was due to a glitch in image generation. Perhaps you could try using Calibre to send the ebooks with covers or use DavidFor's plugin for Calibre to do so and see if the startup time drops to a reasonable range.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #192
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I'm deeply convinced that when you have a problem with your Kobo and others have not, you have to sync, reset and resync. This solved 90% of my problems.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #193
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
It works only for kepubs, unfortunately.
Well, I guess that lets me out...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #194
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Try the kepub plugin for Calibre. I'll try it for the next book.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #195
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Also the same for me. My glo has all its books sideloaded onto a micro SD. Now on the new firmware, adding new books seems to take an age. It is annoying.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote