Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Post Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks

You'll find here links to the current packages for all my stuff. This means that this will always point to the latest available versions (think rolling releases).
They're grouped here in a single post as a convenience, both for me (much easier & faster to upload), and for you (that's the easiest way to get properly arranged source files for these packages).

On a sidenote, most of these are distributed as xz compressed tarballs (because it's much, much more efficient) so you'll need GNU tar/bsdtar + xz-utils on Linux/BSD/OS X, and something that can handle those files on Windows (f.g., 7-zip or WinRAR 5). On Windows, be extremely wary of unarchiving software providing a 'smart' CR/LF handling [i.e., WinZip]: do NOT let it affect the line endings of these files, because that would break things in fun and interesting ways.

Now that this is out of the way, on to the good stuff!

The listing follows this format:
Description | D/L Link | Last Modified | Size | MD5 Checksum | MR Thread

(A barebones version of this listing is also available here).

Packages targeting the Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4:

Packages targeting the Kindle 5 (Touch/PW1/PW2/KT2/KV/PW3/KOA/KT3/KOA2/PW4/KT4/KOA3/PW5):

KUAL & KUAL extensions:

KindleTool:

Misc. Stuff:

Packages targeting Kobo devices:

Last updated on Thur, 04 Jan 2024 13:37:00 +0100

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-04-2024 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Quick update for Languagebreak
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Discontinued my custom KOReader builds: the official builds are now using my own ToolChains, and provide binaries targeting the same range of devices I was providing, including legacy non-touch devices, and PW2+ .

----

Please note that all these packages can only be installed through MRPI (and I strongly recommend using a recent version ), *even* on legacy (<= K4) devices.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-21-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And now to actually finish writing the script that'll make this post useful!

EDIT: Wheee!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hahahaha watches dutifully...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Should be done now .

For now, in sync with the latest releases, but in a decent archiving format .
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay! Now that this is set up, a call for testing on KUAL!

I'd like to make sure I didn't break anything, namely:

* That it generally works as expected ;P
* But in particular, that buttons that launch stuff after killing KUAL actually work in every case. If you find something that doesn't work reliably, please tell me, with as much details as possible (button, extension, Kindle model, was the device busy at the time, do you have a large extensions folder, etc.)

In addition, I'd also like people to test running KUAL with gawk. You'll need both a KUAL snapshot, and gawk installed through the gawk extension (it'll pop an install button in the KUAL menu).
One quick way to check which awk version KUAL is using is by checking the version tag at the bottom: if you see ",a" after the date, you're running the default awk version, and if you see ",g", you're running GNU awk .
In my worst case scenario (a decent amount of extensions, but with quite a few heavy ones [ie. nearly all of mine ], with the fonts override menu from the K5 fonts hack fully populated), it roughly cuts the parsing time in two or more (the more complex it is, the better). So, for my K5 worst-case scenario mentioned earlier, it goes from 8.22s to 2.41s .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Test in progress!

EDIT: No bugs found so far
EDIT 2 : Tested even more deeply and no bugs found at all. Approved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_18T22_49_44+0200.png
Views:	9338
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	113622  

Last edited by Aeris; 10-22-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Another call for testing, this time for KindleTool!

I switched the crypto stuff from OpenSSL to nettle (remind me not to have any more bright ideas like that while half-drunk at 2 AM....), so that introduced a whole new way for me to break stuff! ;D
On the bright side, there's now only one package per arch on Linux, and it should work even on distribs using crazy soname tweaks (Fedora, I'm looking at you).
It might also be slightly faster (not that it was especially slow to begin with...).

TL;DR: nettle's nice, but there are a few quirks to look out for... On the other hand, at least the code is actually somewhat readable, because, oh god the OpenSSL API(s)... >_<".

Incidentally, all the packages were rebuilt with said KindleTool update, so if stuff fails to install, I'd be glad to know .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
nice work mate!
I built perl for the kindle 3. Why do we do these things to ourself?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Mwahahahah.

I wasted three iterations of crappy designs working around an issue before noticing that there was indeed a perfectly fine API call doing exactly what I wanted/needed... >_<"

TL;DR: If all else fails, read the doc again! .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
USBNetwork doesn't seem to work on my jailbroken PW2, works perfectly on PW1 with the same configuration.

I'm using WiFi only config with ssh keys and automatic start, but the process is probably not started at all. ;un in the search bar also has no effect, toggling via KUAL has no effect too.

Log from KAUL:
Code:
/tmp/klauncher_background-63134.sh: line 2: ./bin/usbnet.sh: Permission denied

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 11-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Known "issue". Needs the updated bridge / jb. Will release when I get back home.

Affects nearly everything, not just USBNet.

EDIT : In the meantime, people on irc might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-21-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Known "issue". Needs the updated bridge / jb. Will release when I get back home.

Affects nearly everything, not just USBNet.

EDIT : In the meantime, people on irc might be able to steer you in the right direction.
I have to admit -
I forgot to mention that 'undocumented' change in the process at the time they where testing the JB also.

(Well, unpublished on this site anyway).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Just updated the snapshots. Now support the PW2 3G EU.

The pw2 install packages have been forked to their own dedicated .bin, and now use new binaries tailored to the PW2's new CPU.

Also did some weird crap with USBNet, hopefully it should work properly on the PW2 now, or at least in a slightly less braindead manner.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
ameho
ameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Just updated the snapshots. Now support the PW2 3G EU.

The pw2 install packages have been forked to their own dedicated .bin, and now use new binaries tailored to the PW2's new CPU.

Also did some weird crap with USBNet, hopefully it should work properly on the PW2 now, or at least in a slightly less braindead manner.
Yayness \ 0 / It works. Now I can connect to my PW2 WIFI JP through ssh

But the connection is quite erratic. I couldn't type any letters 2 minutes later

Last edited by ameho; 11-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
ameho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje