Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: MULTIPLE choice reading and book buying habits
I read a book once and forget about it. Even if I enjoyed it, once is all I need. 19 15.97%
A favorite book is like comfort food to my soul. I read it and re-read it frequently. 88 73.95%
If I borrow a book from a friend or the library, I won't ever buy it. 13 10.92%
I will buy a book before having even previewed it, if it is from an author I like. 89 74.79%
Even if a book is from an author I like, I still like to read it for free first. 11 9.24%
I will buy a book sight unseen if a friend of mine whom I trust convinces me it will be great. 49 41.18%
My books are a part of my "visual sound track", they mean something to me. 48 40.34%
I am a cautious buyer. I buy books only after having read them at the library. 6 5.04%
Other (Explain) 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
For favourite authors or strong recommendations from friends I will buy without a preview. However new authors that look interesting I will either preview, borrow from the library, or read enough to know if I want to buy from a pbook in a shop.

I reread my favourite books - so even books that I borrow from the library I will purchase if I enjoyed them enough to want to reread.

Unfortunately I read more than I can afford to purchase - which is why I borrow a lot of books to read and then reread them if they were good enough!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I only reread books accidentally which happens often enough.

Rarely have I read a book by an author that I previously liked that I didn't like all of their books.

Sometimes if it is a big departure from previous books I have read I am quite disconcerted and approach next book with caution, but generally if I like an author enough on the first book to make a note of the authors name, I am happy with the next etc. Even if entirely different genre, subject, series.

I do take recommendations, price, availability into account and try to read one new to me author a week when I am not up to my ears in something else.

I don't generally pay a premium to buy the book on the day it is issued, but it has been known to happen when I am in spoiled brat mode

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i never reread anything, theres always new stuff to get to. i hold onto my books just in case i get the urge for another go but that urge has yet to hit me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I chose #1 and #3. For the most part, I only read books once; and if it's a borrowed book, why on earth would I ever buy it? I've already read it.

Exception: a few of my very favorite books have been reread and I'm willing to buy some of those for a dollar if they can't be had for free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #20
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I voted the first 3. The first 2 seems mutually exclusive, but they aren't to me. 1 goes for most fiction. 2 goes for a select few fiction, and several non-fiction.

I don't buy fiction books any more (but read loads). Stopped doing that after my last move, 10 years ago and I realized there were cases of books I hadn't even unpacked from the move before that (a couple of years earlier).

I have always been an avid library user but library borrowing hasn't always been as convenient for me as it is now with online ebooks and a pbook library within walking distance.

Last edited by Asawi; 02-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I very rarely re-read anything, so I don't tend to buy books I've borrowed from the library or a friend, but there are a few exceptions, normally where I want the whole of a series.

I recently bought paper and ebook copies of Game of Thrones, for instance - I originally borrowed the first two from the library - and while I was intending to re-read the whole series before starting on Dances with Dragons, I haven't, yet.

On the other hand, I am sure my memory is getting worse. I never used to need to re-read things, but these days I can pick a book off my shelf and not be sure if I've read it or not, even after reading the back and leafing through it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Some books I read often. I never read reviews nor do I read those "trial" thingies you can get at amazon. I will buy a book unseen if a friend has read it and commends it. And my books mean something to me.

The library I haven't seen in a very long time. They don't do electronic books and I've had too much trouble finding the books I want (or if they do have it, finally getting my hands on it or even finishing the series!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm a book hoarder. I like to keep all the books I buy. I reread my favorites at least once a year (LOTR, Harry Potter, The Dresden Files will be added to this list as soon as I get caught up on the series ).

I've always bought books based on a mix of reviews, recommendations and the description. I've been lucky and haven't bought many books that I didn't enjoy enough to finish. It has happened, but rarely. Also, if it's the next book in a series I'm reading I don't read reviews, I just buy it. If it turns out to be awful I won't buy the next one.

I try not to rely solely on reviews, different people have different tastes. I'll read a couple 5 star reviews and then read a couple 1-2 star reviews.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Your poll is assuming the library is the only place to preview. What about 'even for authors I like, I download a sample first'?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Your poll is assuming the library is the only place to preview. What about 'even for authors I like, I download a sample first'?
You're right. I didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing it out.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I've bought some books so many times over the years I've lost count. Like The Hobbitt and LOTR.... read The Hobbitt for the first time in a library, and then purchased it numerous times over the years from paperback to hardback to special edition. Same for LOTR, although I never bothered to read those books in the library. That's what makes ebooks such a good deal for me, I don't think that my epubs will wear out.

And to continue with the poll, there are a handful of authors who I love so much that I buy new - at list price even! - with or without any sample reading. Although now I am getting well on into middle age, some of the favorite authors are now blessed memories, and others are not far out As I am not quite as prolific a reader as when younger, learning to love new authors is a little harder for me.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I read like this too. Running into cash constraint, I actually put a lot of effort in trying to score free reads from new authors, but I'll also try by buying way too often.

I do some rereading but probably the majority of books i buy I read once. I do reread my favorite books a lot. If I *really* like a book, I will reread it immediately.
Ditto, cash constraints mean that I have been using the library's eBooks to locate new authors, at least most recently.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife says at least I don't spend money on alcohol or cigarettes.
Apache
lol! That frees up money for more books! I could never pick up a habit that took money away from my books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- I'm a book hoarder. If it ever caught the interest of my past self, it stays. (Even dreck. As a reminder if nothing else.)
2- Authors I like have my trust until they lose it. When they lose it they never get it back.
3- I have few friends who recommend books to me but their tastes are good.
4- I buy my reads. If they're worth reading, they're worth paying for. Of course, if the list price is zero...

Which means, no: I haven't checked out a library book in decades.

edit: Oh yeah: there's about a dozen books I revisit every other year or so. Usually on dreary winter days.

I’m like this, too. I can’t walk away from a freebie but I rarely get library books anymore. I tend to buy them and I have since I moved here. Library wasteland that this place is. Once it became a habit…well, I kept the habit. And the books. But libraries still hold a special place within my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I read like this too. Running into cash constraint, I actually put a lot of effort in trying to score free reads from new authors, but I'll also try by buying way too often.

I do some rereading but probably the majority of books i buy I read once. I do reread my favorite books a lot. If I *really* like a book, I will reread it immediately.
Yeah, I’m trying to do that, too. I get tons and tons of free books whenever they are offered. Sometimes I luck out…others I’m SOL.

But I’m getting better about it! I think. Ok, I’m not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I'm a book hoarder. I like to keep all the books I buy. I reread my favorites at least once a year (LOTR, Harry Potter, The Dresden Files will be added to this list as soon as I get caught up on the series ).

^This. I am a book hoarder. I keep 99.9% of the books I buy. And usually re-read about 99.9% of those.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Ultimately it depends on the book as I could probably be almost any of those types at one time or another. I tend towards keeping and re-reading favourites, but some books I'll read once (or only partially!) and give to charity or will borrow from the library/friends and never read again and others I'll borrow to read and then buy my own copy.

My copies of the Terry Pratchett books and Tolkien are VERY well worn after many readings, some of the discworld books I've probably read 5, 6 or more times and are a great comfort when feeling down. I limit my book storage space though so tend to have regular clear outs to the local charity shops so that I don't get overrun with books... I have too many shelves full of dvds and blu-rays as it is!
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Though I will buy a book before having even previewed it, if it is from an author I like... I will more often preview a book, even if it's from an author I like, or a book that's been recommended by others. And by preview, I mean check reviews, then read some of it to get a feel for it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote