Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
mjmutuma
mjmutuma began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Lulu Issues... please help

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but I'm really struggling with getting this epub ready for Lulu. I've spent the last few days going through the forums and managed to get the all clear from both Sigil and FlightCrew.

However, Lulu still gives me the same issues:

The following issues were found with your EPUB, which can effect its eligibility for certain channels:

Did not pass epubcheck-1.1 validation. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains unmanifested files. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains XML namespace errors. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains file permission errors. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid images. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
The table of contents contains one or more links without text. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid guide section XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid creator XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid publication date XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid publisher XML. (Barnes & Noble)

The epub file was created using CS5.

I don't know what else to try. Thanks!
mjmutuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
fbeme
fbeme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey,
I'm having similar problems with Lulu right now ("invalid images" and "unmanifested files" messages), but some of the others I think I can help with.

Unmanifested files: you have a file within your epub that is not listed within your OPF. My guess is that you included the "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" file.

file permission errors: some of your files do not have the correct access rights. Not sure on which OS you created your epub but the files probably have permissions set to 600, and would need to be changed.

Contains invalid creator XML: the format of the metadata used for the creator is incorrect. The valid format should be:
Code:
<dc:contributor opf:role="cre">FName LName</dc:contributor>
and it should be consistent throughout the document.

Contains invalid publication date: make sure that the format is correct. Correct format is YYYY-MM-DD (such as 2012-02-07)

Contains invalid publisher XML: make sure that the format is correct. As an example,
Code:
<dc:publisher>Lulu.com</dc:publisher>
Hope that helps a little.
fbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please run it through Sigil/FlightCrew and report those errors. That way we can help you better. These messages are rather generic.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
mjmutuma

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can input those changes and report back.

As I said now the file comes out clean on both Sigil and FlightCrew, but these were the issues that both came out prior -

OEBPS/Fonts/Arial Italic.ttf - This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/Fonts/Arial.ttf - This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/Fonts/Verdana Bold.ttf - This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/Fonts/Verdana Italic.ttf - This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/Fonts/Verdana.ttf - This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>. "Reachable" means that a reference of some kind that points to this resource exists in the epub.

OEBPS/content.opf - 10 - The <date> element's value is "", which is not a valid date format.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding the messages with the fonts. That is actually an issue with ePUB export from CS. I believe there is some font option while exporting (I don't use CS myself). What it is basically saying is that those fonts are mentioned but not in the the ePUB. Check the CSS file in the ePUB, I think you will see the references there.

There are certain metadata elements which are required. The <date> one is actually easy solvable. Open the ePUB in Sigil and save. That should solve that one.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

You might find some answers regarding the CS5 font problems in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143240

The solution appears to require a bit of tinkering inside the epub files, but I'm sure it's all pretty self-explanatory.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
mjmutuma

Okay I managed to fix the font and date issues. Thanks for that!

The only error on Sigil now is with my toc.cnx

It says: "element "navMap" is not allowed for content model '(navInfo*,navLabel*,navPoint+)'

And my toc is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd"><ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1"><head><meta content="622ca1f3-81c8-2d11-115c-e4066ba4993f" name="dtb:uid"/><meta content="1" name="dtb:depth"/><meta content="0" name="dtb:totalPageCount"/><meta content="0" name="dtb:maxPageNumber"/></head><docTitle><text>Haiti: Sun-dried and Illuminated</text></docTitle><navMap/></ncx>
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

There is no table of contents. When you're doing your CS5 export, make sure to create a TOC style for your ePub document. Just creating the style is sufficient, as long as you select it during the ePub export dialog box in ID.

Edit PS you can find help on the ID ePUB export options in the adobe helpfile.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
mjmutuma

Yea made sure to do that...

Will check helpfile.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Actually there is a TOC. It is standard in an ePUB. No additional TOC is required. Regenerate the TOC in Sigil based upon your headers and you are good to go.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
mjmutuma

thank you so much guys! finally all worked and we're good to go.

you can check on the book here if you'd like

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/ha...nated/18879319
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

You're welcome. Always glad to help.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Filip_Palda
Filip_Palda began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
If its any comfort I get exactly the same message and I have validate the EPUB file using the latest version of EPUBCHECK http://validator.idpf.org/ in addition to which it passes muster on Sigil. I am now at the desperation stage and actually thinking of submitting my book using (YUCK!) Word files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmutuma View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but I'm really struggling with getting this epub ready for Lulu. I've spent the last few days going through the forums and managed to get the all clear from both Sigil and FlightCrew.

However, Lulu still gives me the same issues:

The following issues were found with your EPUB, which can effect its eligibility for certain channels:

Did not pass epubcheck-1.1 validation. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains unmanifested files. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains XML namespace errors. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains file permission errors. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid images. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
The table of contents contains one or more links without text. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid guide section XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid creator XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid publication date XML. (Barnes & Noble)
Contains invalid publisher XML. (Barnes & Noble)

The epub file was created using CS5.

I don't know what else to try. Thanks!
Filip_Palda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

What you are saying that it passes both Sigil/FC validation and epubcheck without errors but Lulu still complains?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
mjmutuma

Just got a message from Lulu:

Lulu is unable to list your eBook in this channel until you resolve the following issues:

Your eBook has been rejected for missing, incomplete, unreadable, or inaccurate Table of Contents. The NCX must be accurate.
Your image does not fill the entire area. This makes your cover contain white space in the unfilled portion. You may need to stretch your cover to fit the marketing image area.
Our technical review team added:
"Please add your section headings (such as your title page and "Forward") as links in your NCX. Thanks!"

Fixed the image issue, but I'm not sure what to do about the TOC... Here's what the last TOC I uploaded looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd"><ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
<head>
<meta content="urn:uuid:622ca1f3-81c8-2d11-115c-e4066ba4993f" name="dtb:uid"/>
<meta content="0" name="dtb:depth"/>
<meta content="0" name="dtb:totalPageCount"/>
<meta content="0" name="dtb:maxPageNumber"/>
</head>
<docTitle>
<text>Haiti: Sun-dried and Illuminated</text>
</docTitle>
<navMap>
<navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
<navLabel>
<text>Start</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Haiti%20Sun-Dried%20and%20Illuminated1.xhtml"/>
</navPoint>
</navMap>
</ncx>

What's the best way to add the Forward, Authors Page & Credits?

Tried with InDesign to add them and my TOC came out like this and with this error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd"><ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1"><head><meta content="622ca1f3-81c8-2d11-115c-e4066ba4993f" name="dtb:uid"/><meta content="1" name="dtb:depth"/><meta content="0" name="dtb:totalPageCount"/><meta content="0" name="dtb:maxPageNumber"/></head><docTitle><text>Haiti: Sun-dried and Illuminated</text></docTitle><navMap/></ncx>

"element "navMap" is not allowed for content model '(navInfo*,navLabel*,navPoint+)'