Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
nonentity
nonentity began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Is it ok to store kindle in refrigerator/freezer?

To prolong the battery life it is recommended to store it at 32 degrees at 40 percent charge. Lithium batteries only lasts a few years due to aging whether used or not so I want to prolong it as long as possible.

This website gives a chart on the capacity loss when storing lithium batteries at different temps and different charges.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

The best case scenario is storage at freezing at 40 percent charge resulting in a 2 percent capacity loss in 1 year.

Worst case real world scenario is storage at 104 degrees with 100 percent charge results in a 35 percent capacity loss in 1 year.

If the freezer is too cold is the refrigerator ok? I will keep it wrapped in an air tight zip lock to prevent moisture. I do this for all my rechargeable batteries but since the kindle battery can't be removed I don't know if it is ok to store the entire device in the freezer/fridge.
nonentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
I would be more concerned about the abrupt changes in temperature when you take it out to read and the possibility of causing screen damage than battery life.

A good battery with a shattered screen would be pretty useless.

don
dmcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
the lowest storage temp for the eInk is -25C.
Depending on the type of freezer you have, it might be OK or too cold, you'll need to check the temp on the freezer, refrigerator is OK.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I will keep it wrapped in an air tight zip lock to prevent moisture.
Even doing that won't prevent the moisture that's in the air inside your kindle condensing out in your kindle.

I can't see this being practical for a day-to-day thing. If you needed to store it for several months, perhaps you could put it in a bag with some silica gel, and then put it in the fridge/freezer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
don't do this, it will kill your electronics

The battery is easy to replace should it ever come close to dying. So far it was not really an issue for me (with the exception of a netbook where the battery died after only half a year).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The amount you save in battery life will be offset by the damage to the electronics, particularly if you plan to read it on most days. You will never know, of course until the whole thing dies. At least, if the battery dies, you can plug it in and rescue all your books while on electrical power, but if the electronics die, you are cooked, so to speak.

Happy reading!

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Changes in temp is hard on the solder joints on the board itself. Loose connections can result.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
the lowest storage temp for the eInk is -25C.
I don't know where you read that. The Kindle operating instructions say:
"Operating temperature — 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Storage temperature — 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C)."
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do it. The amount you save in battery life will be offset by the damage to the electronics, particularly if you plan to read it on most days. You will never know, of course until the whole thing dies. At least, if the battery dies, you can plug it in and rescue all your books while on electrical power, but if the electronics die, you are cooked, so to speak.

Happy reading!

k4k
Agreed. Putting a Kindle in the freezer doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't know where you read that. The Kindle operating instructions say:
"Operating temperature — 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Storage temperature — 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C)."
the spec i quoted is for the eInk. http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/pear...ll%20sheet.pdf

If the OP is not planning to use the kindle for a long time, I think it's OK to store it in the fridge but not a necessary one, as long as it's properly insulated in the fridge and warmed up before taking it out of the plastic bag to avoid condensation. Definitely not a good idea if you're planning to do this on a regular basis.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Taking the battery out and storing only that might work. I wouldn't do it to the whole Kindle though.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wouldn't do it. Though if someone reads a lot of non-fiction it could give a new meaning to the phrase,"Cold, hard facts."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I can think of a bunch of bad things that can happen to your kindle in the fridge. Any battery saving is hardly worth it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Since I take my KK with me to work every day, and take several transit vehicles in each direction, such rapid temperature changes will be hitting my Kindle all winter long.

Does this stress my device? Yes.

My final answer will be a little different from some.

If nonentity has the new Kindle non-touch, the one with a battery that is impossible to replace, refrigeration may make sense. When every other non-touch every produced is a goner, the world's coolest K4NT may be the last still standing.

However, with all other models, I agree with everyone else here. Replacing the battery on the typical Kindle is just not that difficult.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I've just replaced a battery on my original Kindle DX. It works like a champ. The freezing/unfreezing is for science fiction.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote