Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Tommi
Tommi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi

Hi, another E-Book fan from germany here.

I've been reading Ebooks on the computer for years, mostly Baen stuff, but its getting a bit annoying now - I'd rather read lying in bed then sitting at the computer.
I used to just take a big HP laptop to do just that, but it got incredibly hot, the battery never lasted and eventually the power connector broke.
So I need a mobile device now.
First I was considering the Nokia 770, but I don't think the screen would be good enough for me for longtime reading.
The iliad looks nice for its size, even if I don't need most of its features . I could afford the price - but I'm sure sure I'd break the screen in a month.
I was decided to wait on the Bookeen, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Isn't it basically exactly the same as the sony reader, available right now ? If I just want to read unencrypted ebooks, or convert stuff myself anyway, is there any reason to wait ?
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's similar to the Reader, certainly. Same screen size, although it uses the 2nd generation eInk screens which are slightly brighter and about double the refresh speed of the original; whether that'll make any practical difference remains to be seen.

The CyBook supports MobiPocket rather than the Sony's BBeB format, but that's not important if you're doing your own conversions (in fact it may be a disadvantage - there are much better tools available to convert to LRF than to MobiPocket.

The only other perhaps significant difference is that if you buy a CyBook you'll obviously have a full European warranty for it, whereas effectively you're buying a Sony with no warranty. That's not really a problem - they are pretty reliable - but is something to bear in mind.

I'd say there's really not much to choose. If you want a reader NOW, buy the Sony - I've had one for about 9 months and it's excellent. If you can wait a few months, you might want to wait and see what the CyBook is like in practice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert