Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #376
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Janet - I need a bit more detail than that Exactly what failed? Can you post the log message? I successfully managed to add a book with a review update to my shelf 10 mins ago so it was working for me.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #377
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Just tried again and this was the error
calibre, version 0.8.48
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: http://www.goodreads.com/oauth/request_token/
Response Code: 401
Invalid OAuth Request
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #378
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is the old url, not the new plugin version. Try installing the plugin again and make sure you restart calibre.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #379
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Worked like a charm, Thanks!
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #380
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
... Try installing the plugin again and make sure you restart calibre.
Thanks kiwidude. I was receiving the same error as Janet54, and the new version has resolved it.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #381
ShagMiester
ShagMiester began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
I am still having this same problem only it now asks me "have you clicked 'Allow Access' for this plugin on the Goodreads website? first, if I select no the window goes away and nothing happens. if I select yes I get this error

calibre, version 0.8.48
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: http://www.goodreads.com/oauth/request_token
Response Code: 401
Invalid OAuth Request
ShagMiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #382
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
No issues; just added three to two different shelves.
  • calibre 0.8.48
  • Goodreads sync 1.6.5

Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #383
kiwidude

@ShagMeister - welcome to MobileRead. In terms of your error, it isn't clear if you are actually following the directions. Read the Help file for the plugin if you are unclear - clicking Authorise should open a page in your web browser requiring you to log into your Goodreads account and authorise the calibre plugin. Have you actually done that? Since it is working for Janet54 above there isn't anything wrong with the plugin code, it may well have been either you didn't complete the sequence or Goodreads was having one of their temporary glitches. Just keep trying and if the problem persists contact Goodreads support.

@Gunnerp245 - glad it is working again for you as expected.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #384
ShagMiester
ShagMiester began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
thank you for your reply Kiwidude, but I think it was an error in my firefox or system, I rebooted and restarted everything and I think the plugin is working correctly now. It pops up a GoodReads webpage now and syncs.

thanks again
Shaggy
ShagMiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #385
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Oddly, it started working for me today again before updating the plugin (or calibre). I don't know if that makes sense or not, but in any event, I'm all updated now and all changes to dates/shelves appear to be working perfectly.

Thank you! And thank you again for this plugin - it's one of my most-used ones!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #386
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does this plugin know how to get the data from the eBook edition? What I do on GoodReads is to find the edition I am reading and if it exists, I usually have to then go to the librarian group to put in fixes because they rarely are correct as is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #387
kiwidude

This plugin doesn't specifcally choose the ebook editions, it will use whatever edition you have linked to. That link may have come by using the Goodreads metadata source plugin, or by the user manually linking using the Link to Goodreads function. You can switch editions using that same dialog.

You might get the ebook edition at times, either if the ebook edition had a unique isbn (and you had used the Extract ISBN plugin or manually populate it in calibre) or if by pure coincidence the matching logic on the title/author search results picked the ebook edition as the first matching result.

But there is no logic which dictates the ebook edition must be chosen. If the quality of the data was sufficient out there to guarantee the ebook edition existed and had all its fields meaningfully populated then it would make sense to do something like that. But as you have found yourself the data is frequently lacking in that department, so users like myself are happy to just get an edition with sufficient data on it to be useful (such as having a page count for the Goodreads stats page or Count Pages plugin purposes). Frequently the internal logic Goodreads has to order the search results means that you get the first time, but other times you have to switch editions to pick the one you want.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #388
Kellan
Kellan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

This may be a temporary glitch, but in case not, I figured I'd let you know - since last night, attempting to add books to my shelves gives me the "The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again." error, with the following details:

Code:
calibre, version 0.8.48

URL: http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 404
<html><head><meta name="robots" content="noindex" /></head>
  <body>
    not found
  </body>
</html>
As I mentioned, I know Goodreads is in the middle of a big redesign and things have been acting oddly as of late, but as it's a slightly different error message than others have reported and appears to be ongoing, figured it couldn't hurt to let you know - even if there is nothing we can do about it from our (that is, not a GR developer's) end.

Thanks for a great plugin!

edit: Huh. Looks like that error just came up with one particular book - when I try and add others, it disappears. How odd. Leaving this here for posterity, I guess. Sorry.

Last edited by Kellan; 04-24-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Kellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #389
kiwidude

@Kellan - welcome to MobileRead.

I managed to add a book to my shelf last night and it is working again at the moment so it looks like one of those temporary glitches you hit. As the plugin code has been confirmed to be working any of these sorts of errors are attributable entirely to Goodreads, there is absolutely nothing I can do about them.

Enjoy the plugin...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #390
BelgarionNL
BelgarionNL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
superb! when Sync from "read" sheft is it normal that I have to manually double left click to set it to ready status?

is this to prevent bulk update?

does this mean that every single time I add books to goodreads I need to manually sync them to my calibre?

haven't checked the plugin code yet but I guess I can modify that for myself pretty easily.

Last edited by BelgarionNL; 04-30-2012 at 12:52 PM.
BelgarionNL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads