Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Exclusive: STAReBOOK Review Part I

Good news everyone! My STAReBOOK arrived just now. I can't give you a big review yet of course, but I'll just put up a few pictures of this pretty little device. A few things I can say so far:

Booting up is about 4x faster than the iRex iLiad. The device is very small and light, it's easy to hold with two fingers (!!!) and it comes with a nice set of accessories. There is even a 512MB SD card in the box.
It also has a user replaceable battery (!!!) (as you can see in the pics) and it's recognized as a mass-storage device in Windows, showing up as two devices, one for the main storage and one for the SD card.

The device has some of the style of an Apple iPod and feels nice in the hand because the back is slightly rubberized. I have not transferred any books onto it yet, but I'll do that this afternoon and try my best to give you a short pre-review this evening (German time).

For now, enjoy the pictures! (sorry for the bad quality in some, I was in a hurry...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1937
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2676   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1881
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2677   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2136
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	2678   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1900
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2679   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1767
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	2680  
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

And here some more:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	2681   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	2280
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	2682   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2683   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	2684   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2685  
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

And the last one for now...I'm off for lunch...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	2331
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2686  
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Thanks for the photos. Nice looking device. I'm impressed by the replaceable battery with such ease of access. Looking forward to your review tonight.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Looks nice and small. Cant wait for your complete review.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wow. I only wish it had pen input... not needed for a one-purpose reader, I know, but I need to interact with my reading material more.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
What I'm waiting to hear is how it feels to turn pages with it.

I like the simple/clean UI but one of the things I like about the Sony is having 3 different ways to flip pages. Depending upon where I am I manage to use all three of them regularly.

The user replaceable battery is definitely a plus.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well, as far as I can tell right now, there is only one way to turn pages and that is pressing the "right" key on the directional pad. Page-turning seepd is very fast, even better than on the Iliad with the latest firmware and your enhanced PDF viewer...or at least it feels that way. I'll do a more exact comparison later.

While it's a pity that there is no page-bar like the Iliad has and that there is no way (I have found) to turn pages with the left hand, I most certainly don't miss the "click" sound the Iliad pagebar makes when turning pages.

I have also discovered the bookmark features (working fine) and the "jump to page-number" feature that also works just fine.
Enlarging fonts also seems to be fully functional.
Only trouble so far...the font looks ugly and I have a hard time formatting the books properly with the eRead 3.0 software build 614. I'll ask Ivan about that.

I'll give you more details and in a longer version later on. Please feel free to post questions here then I can check things out for you.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So you got the Starebook, that's excellent news, Roland!!

I'd be very much interested in:
- page flipping speed
- booting time / time needed to turn on the device and to continue reading a book
- PDF support?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If there's PDF support and you can give me the screen size, I'll add a template for it on Feedbooks today.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

There is no PDF support. It only does the .stk format and I'm not sure whether there is any plan to change that.

The screensize is the normal 6" in 9cmx12cm
Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Good news everyone! My STAReBOOK arrived just now. I can't give you a big review yet of course, but I'll just put up a few pictures of this pretty little device. A few things I can say so far:

Booting up is about 4x faster than the iRex iLiad. The device is very small and light, it's easy to hold with two fingers (!!!) and it comes with a nice set of accessories. There is even a 512MB SD card in the box.
It also has a user replaceable battery (!!!) (as you can see in the pics) and it's recognized as a mass-storage device in Windows, showing up as two devices, one for the main storage and one for the SD card.

The device has some of the style of an Apple iPod and feels nice in the hand because the back is slightly rubberized. I have not transferred any books onto it yet, but I'll do that this afternoon and try my best to give you a short pre-review this evening (German time).

For now, enjoy the pictures! (sorry for the bad quality in some, I was in a hurry...)

That looks good - I am drooling!
Would you mind to tell where you bought it and for what price? Did you have to pay import tax?
Now, if I just could think of a way to get my wife's approval for a device like that :-)

Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

well, that's the nice bit...^^

I did not buy it...I got it for this review...one of the advantages of being a Mobileread.com Editor...and I did not have to pay any VAT or import Tax because the price the company put on the customs paper was 5$...very clever of them and of course good for me...

The device is normally 420$ and you would have to order from China/Taiwan. You could probably ask them to pull the same stunt as they did with my unit (cheating customs), but you'd have to pay shipping of course.

I'll try to get omse info about international shipping from Ivan at Staretek later on. I'd also recommend everyone to wait a bit until I have had some more time to play witht he device and see where it's strengths and weaknesses lie.

I have just switched off the "auto powerdown" feature of the device so that I can see about battery life. I'll give it a full charge now and then try to keep it from recharging by transferring media only via the SD card.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Ducky! You saved the photos from Imageready??! Now how am I going to find out if your camera supports macro mode and video?
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Photoshop actually...^^

The camera does not support Video (it's a DSLR) and macro mode is a question of the lens...so in this case...no...