Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
NOOK application not working

I was looking for a book (The Sight by David Clement-Davies) in eBook format, and was frustrated by failure when browsing through the iBooks store. I found the paperback on the Kindle store, but no eBook. Finally I found a digital copy in the Barnes & Noble store.

The odd thing is... from what I understand the B&N eBooks are encrypted somehow, I'm still not sure what format they use. They say all you need to do to read them on non-NOOK device is to download the NOOK App. I tried that from Apple's App Store, and when I try to download it I just get an error message. Has anyone else run into this problem?

And does anyone know what format B&N's eBooks are in? I own caliber, so if it's in one of the many formats that can be converted I'd be ok with buying. But if it's encrypted somehow...

EDIT:
The exact error message I get is "Your request could not be completed."

Last edited by Philippe Lemay; 10-22-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
B&Ns books are in ePub if downloaded with windows. They have their own DRM, but it is just as easy to remove as normal adobe protection. nook is US only though and that is probably why the iTunes story is blocking the download.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
incoherence
incoherence began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Question Wait a minute...

The Nook reader *product* may be US only but it does not make sense to limit iPhone/iPod *software* reader to US.

I tried downloading the Nook reader app from the App Store and got the same "request cannot be completed" message. I am using an iPod touch 2nd generation. I am in Taiwan, but I think I am hooked up to the UK app store (which works fine normally)...
incoherence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
incoherence
incoherence began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Oh, just read some other threads on here and looks like B&N are are US-only company, or want to have regional restrictions, so while it doesn't make sense as I wrote above, that doesn't stop it from being true ;-). I also read that the Nook does not support Unicode, which I think means it cannot display languages like Chinese, Japanese etc. That doesn't make sense either :-)
incoherence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, ibooks store, ipad, nook app