Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I just shouldn't have these issues on a brand new device.
Brand new or used has nothing to do with it. It's the nature of the beast that when you buy a device from a Chinese source, it's usually not going to be highly polished like an Apple product, but it will be very hackable and will have a low price. As with the SmartQ devices, you have to tweak the JE100 to get it to do what you like.

I know what you're talking about with the double-clicking, but it's not really an issue for me. Two firm clicks always does the trick. It's a hardware limitation, I believe. The touchscreen is just not sensitive enough for light taps to be felt.

I don't know how to change the device to not add the default shortcuts to the desktop when it boots, but I'm experimenting with a batch file that will run during startup that automatically deletes the shortcuts that you don't want.

Last edited by StevenK; 02-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I am taking a look at an app called Tweak2k2. In the description withh delete a few of the shortcuts such as My Documents and My Computer. I am charging my device now and when it finishes I will see if I can get it to install on the JE100.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I appreciate the input and really, it isn't the end of the world to leave these shortcuts on the desktop. No need to create a batch file (I can create one if it's the only way to remove them). I've never used WinCE or purchased from China so maybe this is truly the nature of the beast. Seems that a device should work without the various issues I've discovered though.

Is there a way to do a fresh install of WinCE and just write over the Jointech install? If not, hopefully they can work with me on the restore error issue. I'd like to at least be able to do that use it if necessary. And I can't test the higher capacity card roll-back since restore doesn't work.

I'll get over it and learn to get around the shortcomings of the 100.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
tank4141
Enthusiast
tank4141 began at the beginning.

Hi Katelyn. If you're still unhappy with youe je-100 I'd be interested in buying it. If so, just let me know how much you want for it. I'm just entering the world of color ereaders and I'd like to get a used one to play around with while I decide if they're for me.
tank4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
StevenK
Enthusiast

This might be posted elsewhere on the site, but you can get a spreadsheet program for the JE100 or other portable devices here: http://www.byedesign.co.uk/
Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank4141 View Post
Hi Katelyn. If you're still unhappy with youe je-100 I'd be interested in buying it. If so, just let me know how much you want for it. I'm just entering the world of color ereaders and I'd like to get a used one to play around with while I decide if they're for me.
I sent you a PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
Mr.X Senior
Mr.X Senior began at the beginning.

Device: None
There is a plastic screen protector applied on JE100 and JE200. Do you take out or leave it there.

My protector is seem that as if it has a lot of screatches and air bubble.

If you do take out, do you able to clean the screen ? what do you use to clean.
Mr.X Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #23
StevenK
Enthusiast

You can take it off and clean the screen. I just used a damp cloth to clean the screen. You can then replace the covering with a new plastic covering if the original one is scratched.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
gabriel2503
gabriel2503 began at the beginning.

Device: je-100
hy there to all. i both yesterday a je100 reader and after 20 min of using him trying to configure the wireles i rebooted him. since then after rebooting he do not want to boot, displaying ´´ loading´´ . i am very disapointed and also angry because i cant figure what is hapening. can someone pls help me with som e tips? gabriel2503@yahoo.com. thanks.
gabriel2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #25
tank4141
Enthusiast

Ok I'm finally coming up for air. Katelyn, the je-100 is fun to play with but damn it's confusing. I'm new to the world of color ereaders so I've been on a crrash course reading everypost I could find on this board. I finally got some books on it and I don't know why they say lcd cuases eye strain. I was able to read at a much smaller font than on my Sony and I had trouble putting it down. But as soon as I tried something else-WOW. I see why you were so frustrated with it. Although I do think it will get better over time. One thing I can't figure out is the je side of the software. It's very hit or miss on whether anything will load up once I leave the win ce software. So after a couple of days I'm happy with it but ooh Katelyn, I'm gonna have 10,000 questions for you.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #26
tank4141
Enthusiast

I see that the je-100 uses the same battery as a Nokia e71 so I looked on ebay and found this battery that has about 25% more capacity. For $11 I think I'm going to order one unless somebody talks me out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-BP-4L-BP...item335a76fc5b
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #27
bambi
Enthusiast
bambi began at the beginning.

Device: HX4700 Je100 EkenM003 WPDN NookColor
Hi gabriel2503,
Welcome to Mobileread!
It looks like your JE100 was trying to do an OS upgrade. Try taking the microSD card out and boot again. If it boot OK, then look inside your microSD (using a card reader & PC), if you see any of the following files, namely NK.bin, eBoot.bin and StepLDR.bin, delete(or move) all of them from the card. After that reboot the JE100 again with the microSD inside the slot.

If it doesn't boot while the microSD was taken out, it means that your OS has been damaged. You got to re-flash the OS. To do this you got to have those 3 files(NK.bin, eBoot.bin, StepLDR.bin) and one directory (gpsap) on your microSD card and boot the JE100 with the card was in the slot. The microSD card should be a 1GB one, not all 2GB microSD could be used. It will take about 20-30 minutes for the whole process to complete.

Hope this help....
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank4141 View Post
I see that the je-100 uses the same battery as a Nokia e71 so I looked on ebay and found this battery that has about 25% more capacity. For $11 I think I'm going to order one unless somebody talks me out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-BP-4L-BP...item335a76fc5b
I have bought these and they work. I also bought the external battery charger. That way I can have a back up ready to go.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I need to go on the look out for that battery here...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #30
gabriel2503
gabriel2503 began at the beginning.

Device: je-100
hi bambi

thank u very much for answering and also for the tips.i folowed your instructions and seems that on the sd card i have only a EBOOT bin file. and i search the micro sd card in every file and still not finding the other files that u told me. can u pls send it to me ?
gabriel2503 is offline   Reply With Quote