Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
JANUARY READING PLUG: The Thrillers of Edgar Wallace

Hi, fellow rabid readers, rough rednecks, cool city-slickers, and officious adults with 'Important Things Always To Do.'

Do you like "old-time" thrillers with great atmosphere and story content that rushes head-on to a satisfying resolution? Then Edgar Wallace may be an author you might enjoy.

Edgar Wallace wrote more than 175 novels, and more than 160 films have been made from his books - more than any other writer, according to Wiki and Fantasticfiction. He was most prolifice during the '20s and '30s.

"But I don't wanna pay any money," you might ungrammatically retort, a gleam of manic fear fixated on your suddenly sweaty face, and your twitching palms all awash with an itch that won't rub off. NEVER FEAR! Read the paragraph after this one:

"Harry of MobileRead" - Harry to his friends - has made available about 40 of Edgar Wallace's novels. If you're familiar with Harry's work here, you know that he assembles all of his work with loving attention to detail.

Wallace is not great literature; let's save that for other writers. Wallace, however, could tell a damn good story. (Oh, yes: he's also the co-creator of "King Kong." He and Merian C. Cooper came up with the idea.)

Download a thriller by Edgar Wallace and see if it's to your liking. I have yet to read all of them, but I'm starting one right now, called "Jack O' Judgment."

Don't forget to thank Harry....and MobileRead.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n35135.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	44075  
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Thanks for sharing. Had not run across Edgar Wallace before. Looks like I am going to enjoy reading these books very much.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Dr D, which, so far, is your favorite?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend the "Mr. J.G. Reeder Omnibus".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Dr D, which, so far, is your favorite?
I enjoyed the J.G. Reeder Omnibus a lot (as did Harry), but it's a collection of novels. I would say choose one and see if it's to your liking.

I like old-timey mysteries - you know, the kind where telegrams have to be sent off (because there are no cell phones), and the detectives and the police are worried about whether they can find a phone booth (again, because there are no cell phones), so they can stop the nefarious evil actions of a gang of thieves threatening the world.

I forgot to add: I have a LOT more of Edgar Wallace to read!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You know, because I don't have enough to read

Thanks for the recommendation!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You guys have got me reading stuff I would never considered. Got Harry's Omnibus.

Also in this vein is another of Harry's Omnibus series, The Charlie Chan Omnibus. Another great detective novel series.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I've been working through them for the past few months. Didn't realise just how many books he'd written until I read this topic.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote